Reader Comments (8)

Andy McNabb
1 Posted 07/02/2019 at 07:41:41
I live 12,000 miles away, so rely upon the reports of those who get to the game. I read Paul Traill's report and then yours, Graeme. Very different flavour to them - almost as if you were at different games.

Just shows that no two people view the same event from the same angle. Would have loved to be there just to see for myself.

One thing I certainly agree with is that it doesn't matter to me what the other lot do. I want Everton to win every game. But there again, when you are 12,000 miles away there aren't many kopites ready to give me a hard time after the match, which probably affects my reasoning. When I was at school, I always wanted Wolves to do well, because if they didn't there was a bunch of lads in my Year ready to take it out on the Scouser on Monday morning.

Paul Richardson
2 Posted 07/02/2019 at 07:58:24
I agree that 'not being minded' about losing is, just that, a loser's mentality. Should not be tolerated.

To my mind, Everton have never had a loser's mentality... just look at the admirable list of 'firsts' we have chalked up. The club's historical DNA is undeniable and currently evident in efforts like EitC. We are more than a football team; we are a club.

Of course, we want to be (much) better than that lot over the park (particularly so if you live on Merseyside, which I don't) but that doesn't mean we revert to an inferiority complex and kick-out against the red enemy. Beat them in the derby, that will hurt them more than coughing up three points to their immediate rivals for the title this year.

Tony Everan
3 Posted 07/02/2019 at 16:49:03
I agree with a lot of what you have written, Graeme. Make no mistake, Moshiri's backing of Silva is to get the team over the finishing line for this season. He will be looking for big improvements.

If we are still in a downward spiral in May Moshiri will come to the conclusion that Silva is not the man to take us forward.

He simply cannot risk this level of form and defensive frailty to carry on into next season. It is bordering on relegation form.

I want Marco to fix it, and against Man City there was at least some promise. That type of performance may see us competitive against the bottom 10 clubs.

It still all up for grabs for Marco, but I'm convinced his next 12 games are a job application.

Dave Abrahams
4 Posted 07/02/2019 at 22:02:07
Graeme, whether the Everton fans wanted Everton to win lose or draw, there were over 36,000 of us who came to see the team. We have been for the last few years, watching but not getting value for money, or much entertainment. Great supporters, turning up, mostly knowing the team isn't good enough to win any honours or get even close to them.

Some of these fans come from far and wide,spending hard earned cash and getting little reward for their trouble, so spare a thought for all of us, especially last night. How many fans would chant for their team at the end of the game after losing 2-0.

For me Everton fans are as good as any fans in the country and better than most.

Andy Meighan
5 Posted 07/02/2019 at 22:27:58
Spot on, Dave. Not for one minute did I want us to lose last night because the title isn't decided on one game. If they do win the Premier League, they'll have done so because they've been the best side.

My own opinion is I think they'll win it with room to spare because I can see Man City slipping up again. Last night to me had the feel of a lower league vs giant Premier League side to it in the Cup. I never honestly thought for one minute last night we would win that game, as well as we played first half, where we more than matched them.

We created virtually nothing; how hard must it be being Everton's centre-forward when the service is so poor? Calvert-Lewin, for all his desire, passion etc isn't good enough... ditto Tosun. But, like I said, no centre forward would get goals with virtually nothing for them to feed off. But, as Dave said, we've got brilliant fans and, let's face it, we deserve more.

John Kavanagh
8 Posted 08/02/2019 at 00:23:11
Tony#3. It's not bordering on relegation form - it is relegation form. The Championship and League 1 have plenty of clubs that were too big or too good to go down. While 33 points looks comfortable, there's always one side at the bottom that puts a run together and claws its way out. If we were just a few points worse off we would be in big, big trouble.

If Silva remains and starts next season with our current system, tactics and form/results, there's only going to be one outcome.

Steve Carse
9 Posted 08/02/2019 at 11:51:19
Wanting to win every game is an admirable and understandable sentiment. We would all like it to be the case that every point gained was of significance to our quest to win things. The reality, however, has been somewhat different for many a year, and where it has been it had generally been because of our involvement in relegation battles.

The argument that we shouldn't care how Liverpool are doing is ignoring the fact that Everton is in direct commercial competition with its neighbours for the hearts and minds of (and hence the future revenue streams from) prospective fans within and beyond Merseyside.

How did LFC overturn a history of relative inferior status and lower attendances compared to our own, and create a situation where the gap between the size of our support base and theirs is as great as it is now? They did it by winning things. And as long as they keep winning things, then that gap will continue to grow, to the long term detriment of our club.

Our defeat to Man City will have absolutely no impact on our longer term success and competitiveness (indeed, according to your logic it will not even affect our immediate outlook in terms of where we'll finish up in the league this season). But if at the end of the season it proves the difference between Man City or Liverpool winning the league then I for one will celebrate it.
Call me "a disgrace to our club" if you wish, but I will continue to travel far and wide to support my team, whilst taking a more reasoned and pragmatic approach when valuing the importance of our results.

Bill Griffiths
10 Posted 08/02/2019 at 12:02:41
No true supporter of any football team would want/wish their team to lose, end of.