Siren “spells danger”

by   |   07/05/2019  16 Comments  [Jump to last]

Well the title is a bit of a rework of the Billy Ocean hit, Red Light Spells Danger, the explanation is for readers not of a certain vintage.

When I first heard the siren coming out of my TV, I can say it certainly got my attention as I tried to work out what was happening. Slowly, the cogs moved into gear and I realised this was deliberate and a part of the match build-up. My initial reaction was — this seems to work. I rather like the idea. Not usually prone to rushing into instant decisions, I have listened to and reflected on this new pre-match item. I have mentioned it to a few friends who are impressed. I am now happy to come well and truly off the fence.

Whoever thought of this idea is a genius and deserves an award of serious standing. My feeling is that the siren provokes serious levels of emotion and I imagine these will be different according to the individual. Nevertheless emotions will be stirred. No bad thing as the kick-off looms. My own interpretation is that this is a message to the opposition: you are now in a place where deep down you really don’t want to be and what happens next is going to be exceptionally uncomfortable. There is an overwhelming emotion working against you and your best outcome will be to leave unscathed to fight another day but winning is not an option. What a message/emotion to transmit! The “bear pit” that is uniquely Goodison only adds to the atmosphere.

And yet I feel that we could possibly make more of this fantastic idea while also recognising that sometimes “less can be more” and possibly how things are at the moment is where we should stay. Anyway, here goes with my thoughts that I would like to put out there for consideration.

I think the siren should last a little longer for maximum effect; I feel at the moment it has not got the time to fully raise the emotions, temperature, atmosphere and send the right message.

Could it be used for a second time as the players are shaking hands? That would have some effect but would it contravene Premier League Rules?

Could it play a bigger role in the immediate pre-match moment, before the Z-Cars music is played? I was thinking along the lines of a table in the centre of the pitch with a large obvious button that can be pressed by a fan, personality, dignitary, or prize winner — you get the idea.

Would it be possible to get hold of an actual siren that could be manually operated for an individual to crank up — even if it is actually not making the sound? Kind of visual effect?

How about the siren sound being linked to the big screens for further effect?

I would welcome ideas from ToffeeWebbers. Could they be passed on to the club by someone from the ToffeeWeb hierarchy if it is felt we are onto something?

Many clubs have pre-match rituals. The Premier League is worldwide but we could maybe have some further distinction alongside the Z-Cars theme with our rituals?

Did I say earlier “less can sometimes be more”?

Well, there are my thoughts; I would be interested in the views of my fellow Evertonians.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (16)

Stan Schofield
1 Posted 08/05/2019 at 10:27:26
I would go with 'less is more', and don't change what clearly works.
Andy Meighan
3 Posted 08/05/2019 at 10:47:17
Great article! We haven't conceded a goal since the siren was introduced — and against some of the telly babes as well. Long may it continue...

Come to think of it, let's try and introduce it to the away games. This time next year, we could be top 4. Nice to dream... isn't it?

Brian Williams
4 Posted 08/05/2019 at 12:24:55
Same here. Doing more and more'll make it cringey!
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

5 Posted 08/05/2019 at 13:29:47
Congratulations for showing some imagination Barry.

I love the siren. It is edgy. It drowns out everything else and even hushes the crowd a tad, especially the away support who appear gob-smacked, with WTF! expressions.

What I would prefer towards the 'less is more' idea is (and I know this may be heresy, to some)...cut 'The Grand Old Team' song and go just with the siren and Z-cars theme.

Personally, I've never particularly liked the GoT song. It's very 1960s, 1950s even, and more than a bit 'naff' and 'meh' for me. Nor is it exclusive and original. Don't Spurs and Celtic have their own versions?

For me, GoT gets far too much airplay both pre- and post-match. It doesn't make a statement. It doesn't strike fear into opposition teams or supporters. It's more likely to be sniggered at.

Go with just the siren and Z-cars. Both raise the hair on the back of the neck and, Shakesperian-like, are saying:

"Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war."

John Pierce
6 Posted 08/05/2019 at 14:59:47
I’m not 100% sure but I believe the idea came from ‘The Originals’. Have you heard of them? They’ve organized various things to help the atmosphere, with a view to a singing section in GT8 next season. They definitely have a twitter handle, so can be found there.
The flags and banners have been distributed by them too. Perhaps someone with better first hand knowledge could elaborate further.
For the siren to stay effective, Everton have to be ‘at it’ next season otherwise I think the novelty will wear off?
Barry Metcalfe
7 Posted 08/05/2019 at 15:29:59
Thanks John, I appreciate you taking the time to inform me of where the idea originated.
Ron Sear
8 Posted 08/05/2019 at 16:38:29
Just hope we don't have to use the siren for real again, it could be a bit confusing and I'll have a job finding my dads old tin hat.
Andy Crooks
9 Posted 08/05/2019 at 20:15:51
I like this post, Barry. Dave Abrahams warned me about it but it still sent the hairs on the back of my neck standing. Jay, GOT is toe curling. It is not just fifties or sixties, it is when men threw their caps in the air and made noise with corncrake rattles, in other words, Pathe News.
The siren is genuinely dusturbing. Make it louder, longer and give a pay rise to the totally unevertonian, gem who thought of it.
I was going to develop this idea, with, Anfield, siren and err... No best not.

David Pearl
10 Posted 09/05/2019 at 01:10:46
Hmm well maybe the genius idea came from Tony Bellew. Or that tosser that managed him.

I do like the sirens but not sure it would work for if we get Accrington Stanley in the cup.

If you write to the club Barry they do write back. I suggested they put angry birds on the front of the kids kit. They wrote back saying maybe next season. Not sure if it goes against the deal with Sportpesa but I hope it happens.

Drew O'Neall
11 Posted 09/05/2019 at 04:55:38
I’m with Jay @ 6 and Andy @ 9

I like the post too, Barry and my sentiments about the siren are the same as yours. It’s great and I want it clearly audible by anyone in L4 and especially around Anfield so they know the main event, with the edge and danger, is happening somewhere else and their tour operator absolutely sold them the wrong ticket (haha).

The other ideas are a bit cringe. They’ve got away with taking a risk and breaking a tradition by adding the siren and it signals the commencement of hostilities, as Barry says in the OP, to try to cash in on it with gimmicks like the big button would undermine its mysterious and fanbased origins and appear somewhat desperate on the part of the club’s marketing department, in my opinion.

As someone said, the siren shuts everyone up, it suppresses everything else, a bit like a minute’s silence which, when lifted, allows the crowd to all release their built up tension, in unison, with impunity - guaranteed, orchestrated noise, released.

The only amendment I would make is to further crank up the anticipation by stopping the music prior to the siren 30 seconds or so before it starts and making Z Cars the last thing to play before kick off, the second silence after Z Cars ends being the natural opportunity for the crowd to find full voice again 5 seconds before kick off.

Anyway, full credit to Tony Bellew’s team, The Originals and the club for creation, lobby and implementation of the amended theme and long may it stir the emotion.

Barry Metcalfe
12 Posted 09/05/2019 at 08:22:06
Drew, I like your idea of a silence before the siren. This would certainly build up the atmosphere in a number of ways. Great.
Jamie Crowley
13 Posted 10/05/2019 at 22:01:12
Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n' Roses after the siren blares out over Goodison?

I'm just jaggin'. That song is awful. It's played at American arenas at like every single sporting event. Annoying as fuck.

I love the siren. It should last longer. It's a call to arms, and there's something about that sound that makes you want to circle the wagons and have at it. As Amazing Grace is to inspiration, the siren is the war cry to arms.

Keep it. Make it a bit longer and a bit louder. It's great.

I'd sing GOT while the players come out, then play the siren to seriously whip everyone up while they shake hands, right up to kick off. But whatever the order or sequence, keep the siren.

Maybe an animal sacrifice at the center of the pitch to the Everton gods? The animal wearing a rs jersey? Again, kidding.

The siren has the intended effect - 40,000 (or so) fans feeling the tribal adrenaline coursing through their veins, ready to get behind their team with the denizens of hell in front of them.

I absolutely love the idea of silence just before the siren. One of the Turkish teams do this thing prior to a game that's just spine-tingling. Before their chant, they hush one another. But it's like dead silent prior to the chant, and it's sick. Silence before the siren would be so incredibly eerily frightening, the opposition would shit their pants. Love that idea, Drew.

Anthony Murphy
15 Posted 10/05/2019 at 22:29:40
Just for fun, what would you like to see introduced as a new pre or post match tune? I’ve always thought Come Together by Primal Scream would sound great (for a few minutes only as it’s a bit long) or how about The Story of the Blues at the end of the match - although I’m sure Pete Wylie is a red so maybe not!

Welcome to the Jungle would be apt in some of the boozers around Goodison on match day!

Jamie Crowley
16 Posted 10/05/2019 at 23:24:44
Anthony -

The first minute of this.

Link

Probably not the match-going individual's cup of tea

Mike Price
17 Posted 12/05/2019 at 17:55:11
The Siren has stopped them winning the league! 😂

Let the sound of that and the opening of Z-Cars haunt them forever!

Tony Everan
18 Posted 13/05/2019 at 11:37:42
The PR dept should trademark and copyright the idea, or Watford etc etc will be doing it next season.