Everton v Leeds Utd, 29 September 1958

by   |   16/06/2019  42 Comments  [Jump to last]

As well as being Fathers Day, it is my birthday today and my daughter and son-in-law got me a quite unusual present. The match programme for the above match.

Priced at threepence (3d) and with adverts for reserved seating tickets at 5 shillings (5/-) and paddock for 3 shillings (3/-), it is a trip back to an era when we were most definitely not a corporation. There is an article in which Jimmy Greaves, newly signed for Chelsea, says "In what other profession could a lad of my age earn £1,000 a year?" What, indeed?

Everton were bottom of the table having lost seven of the opening eight games (slow starts must be a tradition). I believe they won the game 3-2 but I'm not certain. Do any Toffeewebers recall the game? Was anyone at it? How did our season pan out?

This was the Everton team:

O'Neill
Sanders
Bramwell
King
Jones
Harris B
Fielding
Harris J
Ashworth
O'Hara
Hickson.

Numbered 1 to 11. No sub. Match ball sponsored by Jack Sharp Sports.

Chief coach, Ian C Buchan. The Leeds team included Wilbur Cush, a friend of my father.

I am ashamed to admit that, apart from Hickson, I know nothing of the rest. I would love to hear from any Evertonian who does.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (42)

Peter Mills
1 Posted 16/06/2019 at 20:38:53
Happy birthday Andy. Before my time, but I expect Messrs McFarlane, Abrahams, White and others will shed some light on these names.
Tony Abrahams
2 Posted 16/06/2019 at 21:05:10
Happy birthday Andy, I hope you’ve had a good day mate!
Dave Abrahams
3 Posted 16/06/2019 at 21:36:14
Happy birthday Andy, very best wishes.

Starting with the coach Ian Buchan, I don’t think he had any previous experience managing a team, he came from Lochborough (spelt wrong I think) College and had some new ideas to introduce to football, which didn’t do Everton or himself much good, he didn’t last very long, he followed Cliff Britton and Johnny Carey followed him.

Jimmy O’Neill came from Eire and was in goal for a number of years, Irish international, I think IanBuchan brought Sanders with him when he joined Everton, think his first name was Alan a big strong defender, might have came from Man.City.

Bramwell I think came from New Brighton and him and Alec Ashwort, the inside left went to Luton Town as part of the deal that brought Billy Bingham to Goodison Park.

Johnny King the right half became famous as manager of Tranmere Rovers after he left Everton and I’ve got a feeling he scored in this game, maybe the winner.

T E Jones was the centre half for many years until the arrival of Brian Labone, Tommy took the penalties and might have played right back when Labone started playing.

Andy you’ll have seen Brian Harris when you saw Everton win the FA cup in 1966, the day you became one of us I believe, left half in that match, he started as a winger, left and right.

Jimmy Harris, from the Wirral, the rough part, Birkenhead, same as Brian Williams whom you’ve met, but not as rough as Brian, Jimmy was acentre forward who took over from Davy Hickson when Davy left for Aston Villa, but was thenpushed on to the wing when Davy came back from Huddersfield Town.

Wally ( Nobby )Fielding acockney joined Everton after the war after a wrangle with Charlton Ath, who claimed he was their player.

Eddie O’Hara came fromFalkirk along with the great Alex Parker, who I presume was doing his national service at the time of this match. Eddie was a Scottish U 23 international who left Everton and joined Barnsley.

Tony Hill
4 Posted 16/06/2019 at 21:49:58
Happy birthday. I would have been at the game as a child but can't remember it, we did win 3-2 but I know that by checking. I'm not surprised you are only aware of Hickson - Harris and Fielding would be the only other names people might recall, possibly Jones. We were a poor side then in truth but a programme of that time is a lovely gift and I find it very poignant to think back to the 50s.
John Keating
5 Posted 16/06/2019 at 22:25:36
With Dave mentioning Brian Harris what a great buy and servant for the Club.
Played almost every outfield position I think.

After being replaced by Tony Kay he still bided his time and played in various positions when asked.

Always thought Brian was quite underrated.

Dave's right he did play left half in the final and who can forget him putting the coppers hat on after we equalized

Andy Crooks
6 Posted 16/06/2019 at 22:46:06
Thanks, Dave and all. Very informative indeed. I forgot to mention that the original number 10 in the lineup was Collins. I assume he was a late withdrawal because the original owner of the programme had a red line through his name and had written Ashcroft below it.
Alan J Thompson
7 Posted 17/06/2019 at 05:59:03
Andy, if you are having trouble remembering Brian Harris, then think of the player who tried on the copper's helmet.
John Raftery
8 Posted 17/06/2019 at 08:14:59
Four years before my first game. By 1962, the only survivor from this eleven was Brian Harris who was a very good wing half as well as being a natural comedian. After leaving us in 1966, he had a decent few years at Cardiff.

I am surprised nobody has blamed Bill Kenwright for our poor start to the 1958-59 season.

Dave Abrahams
9 Posted 17/06/2019 at 09:16:49
John (5) and John (8), you are both correct that Brian Harris was a very good player who gave Everton years of loyal service. There wasn't much sentiment in the game then, especially from Harry Catterick who demanded a fee for Brian when he was transferred. And he got it, much to the anger of Brian who thought he deserved a free transfer, and thus a better deal off Cardiff, after all his years playing for the Blues.

John (8), if You Know Who was the chairman, Brian would have got a new three-year contract... Mind you, our greatest ever fan would have been well and truly told where to go by Harry.

Alan McGuffog
10 Posted 17/06/2019 at 09:39:06
Brian Harris was a fine player and servant of the club. Linked very well down the left with the great Ramon. Always thought he went to Newport though? Or was that after Cardiff?
John Raftery
11 Posted 17/06/2019 at 10:59:29
Alan (10) It was Newport after Cardiff.

Dave (9) Point taken! From what I recall of those days very few, if any, players were given three-year contracts. Clubs held the whip hand in terms of retaining or releasing players.

Tony Abrahams
12 Posted 17/06/2019 at 14:40:15
Just been looking at the fixtures, Andy, and I won't be here for the first home match of the season if you want a late birthday present, mate?
Brian Williams
13 Posted 17/06/2019 at 15:28:59
Just found this thread today. My effing ears were burning like fook, and after reading Dave's post I can understand why now.... Thank you, David, for your kind words!

Belated Birthday Greetings, Andy!

As for you Mr Abrahams. Big Tom, my minder, will be coming to visit you!

Dave Abrahams
14 Posted 17/06/2019 at 15:55:16
Brian (13), I know Big Tom, worked with him in Lairds years ago. We got on okay, in fact he thought the world of me. Tell him there'll be a pint waiting for him in Ned Kelly's tonight. Mind you, I think he drank Babysham when I knew him!!!
Terry White
15 Posted 18/06/2019 at 04:58:39
Andy, this excellent website is an essential part of your Everton knowledge:

evertonresults.com/seasons.htm

Andy Crooks
16 Posted 18/06/2019 at 21:08:44
Tony@ 14, that is incredibly kind. I would love to come over but only if you are absolutely sure it's okay and suitable. Thanks to all the knowledgeable Evertonians who have brought a flimsy black and white programme to colourful life. And for the good wishes!!
Terry White
17 Posted 19/06/2019 at 19:41:30
As my mate, Peter Mills (#1), has set me up to make a contribution, here we go. I have little to add since Dave (#3) has done a wonderful job of doing pen portraits on the players at that time. I'm sure John McFarlane,Sr. would agree. In addition to the playing XI that day the "squad" included players such as Peter Harburn, Bobby Laverick, and a certain Derek Temple who scored 2 goals in only 4 appearances.

Anyway, here we go, Ian Buchan came from Loughborough (sp) College.

Jimmy O'Neill did not play all that much that season. Albert Dunlop being the primary keeper.

Alan Sanders was a rugged fullback. As Dave says, he was holding a place until the wonderful Alex Parker (the best #2 I have seen play for us) returned from National Service.

Brian Labone made his first 4 appearances that season. T.E. Jones actually played left back beginning in the 59-60 season after Labone was introduced following poor early results.

Brian Harris was a real stalwart. He also played at full back on occasion.

Eddie O'Hara was replaced the following season by the incomparable Tommy Ring with Mickey Lill (whom I liked) occasionally playing there as well as on the right.

Not much additional information there. But, it was the time of the "Great Awakening", the arrival of Bobby Collins and the other signings following resulted in a team that it was a pleasure to watch at Goodison leading up to the '62-63 championship win.

Dave Abrahams
18 Posted 19/06/2019 at 20:07:12
Terry (17), you've awakened my memory with Peter Harburn and Bobby Laverick.

Harburn was a summer signing from Brighton a big centre-forward. Everton always had a great away support and thousands of us went to Leicester for the first game of the season and to see our new striker; we lost 2-0 and “Sailor Harburn”, as he was known, was all at sea, useless was one of the nicer descriptions I heard that day.

Not long after, in the Echo, it was reported he had nearly blinded himself. His wife heard a noise in the garden at night and thought it was a burglar, Peter ran out to get him and ran straight into the clothes line. Luckily for us, it kept him out of the team for the next few weeks.

Bobby Laverick was an outside left, signed from Chelsea for £6,000, he wasn't too bad... in fact, comparing him to Harburn, he was sensational!!!

Then, as Terry says, came the outstanding Bobby Collins and the magical Tommy Ring to lift Everton from a very poor team to one that it was a privilege to watch.

I agree with Terry that Mickey Lill played a good part in that as a goal-scoring winger, Mickey was unlucky with a series of injuries and was replaced by Billy Bingham, Roy Vernon and Jimmy Gabriel were added to the team and unfortunately Bobby Collins never got the champions medal he richly deserved, being transferred to Leeds, one of Harry Catterick's rare mistakes.

Andy Crooks
19 Posted 19/06/2019 at 21:46:22
I didn't realize that the Collins who was meant to play was in fact, Bobby. I imagined that he was two years after that. Thank you, Terry and Dave.
Terry White
20 Posted 19/06/2019 at 21:49:04
Dave (#18), Peter Harburn managed 1 goal in 6 games for us, obviously not on the day you saw him at Leicester.

I also thought Laverick was not too bad, clearly I was impressed by a player joining us from the south, Bobby's record was 6 goals in 22 league games. He was certainly better than Peter Kavanagh (my family called him "the voice of them all" after a well-known ventriloquist of the time). Kavanagh, another left winger, we went through them at the time, was signed from Romford and played 4 games without troubling the scorers.

Also, Jimmy Glazzard who played 3 games as a replacement for Davie, 3 games no goals, although he did have a very good career previously with Huddersfield.

I like your description of Mickey Lill as a "goal scoring winger". 12 goals in 34 league and cup appearances speaks for itself. Without his injuries perhaps we would not have needed to sign Bingham who, of course, was a well-known player at the time. Still, Billy scored 26 in 98 league and cup appearances, again an excellent return.

I am unsure whether Collins sale to Leeds was a "mistake". Of course he went on and continued to have a distinguished career there. But would we have won the league with Collins and not Dennis Stevens in the team? I am not so sure. Actually different types of players and Stevens did a lot of the leg work for players like Young and Vernon.

Terry White
21 Posted 19/06/2019 at 21:56:41
Thank you, Andy (#19) for giving Dave and I another opportunity to wallow in nostalgia.

Bobby Collins was signed from Celtic and went immediately into the team which won (our first win of the season after losing the first 6 games) 3-1 at Maine Road against Manchester City, one week before the Leeds United game. Bobby was among the scorers and I was among the crowd, I would imagine Dave was also.

Dave Abrahams
22 Posted 20/06/2019 at 08:56:54
Terry (21), yes I know what you mean by “mistake” with Bobby Collins’s transfer to Leeds, I think there was not a love lost between Bobby and Harry Catterick and I a big fan of Dennis Stevens a very player and a lovely man off the pitch.

Terry you keep bringing players back, to my memory bank, from those great days, Peter Kavanagh, a bit of a character, signed from Romford, as you say, for £1,000 I believe, he actually had one leg shorter than the other, he wasn’t very good and in a reserve game he was getting a lot of stick from the crowd, he went to take a corner and the crowd were still on his back, he turned round to them and said “ what did you expect for £1,000 f- - cking Ghento. who was a top winger with Real Madrid.

Terry I wasn’t at that game when Bobby made his debut at Maine Road, don’t know why as I didn’t miss many games those days, especially with it being just up the road.

Bobby Collins was actually on the point of signing for the Blues when he was seventeen, he had agreed terms but was snatched away at the last minute by Celtic.

Tony Abrahams
23 Posted 20/06/2019 at 09:44:41
I’m on holiday Andy, I go away a few days after the Palace game, so it’s no problem mate, no inconvenience, and everyone else is behind you in the queue anyway because of how well Everton played on Easter Sunday mate!
John McFarlane Snr
24 Posted 20/06/2019 at 19:09:21
Hi Andy, happy birthday, you've certainly revived some memories, you're talking my kind of language. Days that will never be seen again, days when football was [in the main,] the 'working man's sport'. It will be hard for today's fans to appreciate, the time when segregation was not necessary, I'm not suggesting that fights would not break out occasionally, but if you are part of a 60,000 crowd it's quite likely that two individuals wouldn't see eye to eye. Best wishes John.

Hi Dave [18] I never had the pleasure [?] of seeing Peter Harburn or Jimmy Glazzard, I was at the time, serving Queen and Country in Cyprus. I still believe that the 1960/61 team was a joy to watch, they displayed a brand of football that fans of our generation had never witnessed. I could drool over the players I have been fortunate to have seen, wearing the 'Royal Blue' of Everton down the years, but I think I'll slip into a corner and wallow in nostalgia. Best wishes John.

Tony Hill
25 Posted 21/06/2019 at 21:01:05
John @24, it's coming back to us that brand of football. I am so pleased for the younger fans that they will get to see the sort of stuff the likes of you and I saw. I feel very confident about it, it's going to be a great thing to watch it unfold. The spirit of Ring, Vernon, Young et al is awakening.
Rick Tarleton
26 Posted 22/06/2019 at 08:17:53
I was at that game, I remember Wilbur Cush being a star player for Leeds a little Ulsterman who was supposed to replace the recently departed John Charles in the Leeds fans affections. I was 11 at the time and all of those Everton players are firmly in my memory, though Dave Hickson was my hero.

I had a soft spot for Eddie O'Hara who'd been signed as part of the deal that brought the great Alex Parker to Goodison, but who during that season missed games because of his National Service. O'Hara was little and tricky, an old style Scottish winger, but he was not robust enough for English football.

This must be an early game for Brian Harris at wing half, because he'd usually been a left winger himself prior to the signing of O'Hara and Laverick.

John McFarlane Snr
27 Posted 22/06/2019 at 16:25:36
Hi Tony [25], I would like to share your optimism, but I'm afraid that the level of cheating in the modern game, feigning injury, and going to ground at the slightest touch etc, is besmirching the name of football. Foreign players may well have introduced these tactics, but domestic players have embraced the principle, and it's my belief that they are encouraged in training sessions to do so.

Hi Rick [26], you are correct in saying that Brian Harris started his Everton career as a winger initially on the right, but latterly on the left. I was at Turf Moor the day he made his debut along with Jimmy Harris, Everton won 1-0 through a Tommy Jones penalty in the first couple of minutes, unfortunately our coach driver lost his way to the ground and we arrived too late to witness it. Brian first operated as a wing half in September 1958 ,a 6-1 home defeat to Arsenal. Like Alex Parker, I too was in Cyprus serving with the army.

Following my demob, I didn't see enough of Eddie O'Hara or Bobby Laverick to form an opinion of either, although I did see Bobby Laverick the day that Everton were humbled 3-0 in a third round FA Cup tie against Bradford City.

Clive Rogers
29 Posted 22/06/2019 at 19:44:10
Was Jack Charlton playing for Leeds? I remember a game against a Leeds when I was about 9 and I remember several of those Everton players being involved, as was Charlton for Leeds
Dave Abrahams
30 Posted 22/06/2019 at 22:02:54
Clive (29), Jackie Charlton made his debut for Leeds around 1954 so he could have played in this game, maybe Andy could have a quick look at the programme and give us the answer.
Andy Crooks
31 Posted 22/06/2019 at 00:07:10
Dave, the Leeds team was:
Wood
Hair
Ashall
Cush
Marsden
Gibson
Overfield
O'Brien
Growe
Meek
Forrest
However, in the " Pen Pictures"there is, indeed" John "Charlton.
(centre half)
6 ft 1/2 inches
Born Ashington
Signed professional forms May 1952 after graduating through the junior teams.

It is strange indeed how one looks at the 1966 World Cup winners. I feel as if they were all born that year.

Dave Abrahams
32 Posted 23/06/2019 at 15:36:32
Andy (31),

Thanks for that, and it throws up two other very good players, this time from the Leeds team: Jack Overfield, a tall outside left, very, very tricky, a great dribbler, always worth watching.

The other one, you have down as Growe, I think that could be Chris Crowe, an inside forward later transferred to Blackburn for a good fee. Another very good player who I think won U23 caps with England.

Andy Crooks
33 Posted 23/06/2019 at 16:25:54
Dave, was he in anyway connected to Vic Crowe who I believe played for Wolves and was a decent left half. I think I still have a football card of him.
Clive Rogers
34 Posted 23/06/2019 at 19:22:25
Andy, Dave, thanks for that. I think the game I attended was a night game, but the EFC team was similar and big Jack played. Perhaps 1959.
Dave Abrahams
35 Posted 23/06/2019 at 19:48:59
Andy (33), I’m not sure Andy, I think Vic Crowe played for Aston Villa and he was a Welsh international.
Terry White
36 Posted 23/06/2019 at 20:02:14
Clive (#34), http://www.evertonresults.com/match23041960.html.

Jack Charlton played for Leeds in the 1959-60 fixture at Goodison but it was on a Saturday.

He also played in the 1957-58 game that was an Easter game played on a Good Friday afternoon so that is probably the one you attended.

Peter Mills
37 Posted 23/06/2019 at 20:29:10
Going off on a tangent, I was listening to Johnnie Walker’s “Sounds of the 70s” on Radio 2 today.

Johnnie was interviewing Lesley Anne Jones, a rock journalist, who mentioned that her grandfather, Emlyn ‘Mickey’ Jones, once (bizarrely) played pitch and putt with David Bowie at Margate. She then went on to say that Mickey was a famous footballer who played for Everton.

From the brief research I’ve done since via Google, Wikipedia, Everton Results.com and my Everton Encyclopaedia it seems that Mickey was on our books in the early 30s, but did not make a senior appearance. He did have a lengthy career with Southend.

Surely this is one for the Everton Heritage Society? A blue plaque at Margate pitch and putt?

Clive Rogers
38 Posted 25/06/2019 at 11:13:57
Terry, thanks, that sounds like the game.
Darren Hind
39 Posted 26/06/2019 at 19:27:45
A very belated happy birthday, Andy

This one somehow got under my radar.

I don't comment much about games that took place before I was old enough to go, but I love to read what the likes of Dave A. John Mac, Rick Tarleton and Terry White have got to say.

What these guys know about this club will not come as a surprise to anybody who reads their posts... but what they remember about individual matches, sometimes makes read 3-4 times.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast most days. They talk about isolated incidents in matches which took place 60 years ago.

John McFarlane Snr
40 Posted 26/06/2019 at 20:35:21
Hi Darren [39] some things live long in the memory, others don't even register. I'm sure that Dave, Rick, and Terry will agree with that. Approaching my 81st birthday, I'm afraid memories are something I need to cling to, the game that my generation grew up watching bears no resemblance to the game of today.

I don't wish to appear conceited, but my enthusiasm was boundless and quite often I was requested to settle arguments in our local pub, I feel sure that Dave, Rick, and Terry were likewise engaged. I have to ask my Grandson, Josh, who has attended matches with me since he was 6 years old, (he's now approaching 15) questions like, "Who knocked us out of the League Cup two seasons ago?" Luckily enough he appears to have grasped the baton, and his memory is as good as mine used to be.

Although I still attend matches, I find that I don't get the enjoyment I used to get from victories, nor do I suffer the same despair from defeats, unless they're at the hands of our neighbours, no more sleepless nights. Josh has inherited them.

Andy Crooks
41 Posted 26/06/2019 at 23:42:29
Dave, just read that cracking post @ 18. Really top stuff. "Sailor Harburn". All at sea... The knowledge that you and the other Evertonians have is just jaw-dropping.

Till the day I die, I will never forget the walk you gave me round Goodison Park.

Don Alexander
42 Posted 27/06/2019 at 01:08:28
A great post, Andy, dragging up so many cherished memories.

I was born in 1955 but my Glaswegian dad (me Ma's scouse) used to eulogise no end on Bobby Collins, Tommy Ring and the rest of those above. Let's face it, football was way more honest back in the day, and all the better for it.

I for one very much miss the "beauty" of the perfectly executed "hard" tackle that was commonplace in yesteryear. They emphasised the glory of the stunning goals scored by those boys. They were thereby true legends.

The current "no contact" mandate does my head in. It's boring.

Dave Abrahams
43 Posted 27/06/2019 at 08:54:43
Andy (41), I'm glad you enjoyed that day, and you know what – me Michael and Tony enjoyed that day as well. Not so much for the brilliant win versus Man Utd but to watch a 60-year-old celebrate the win like a little boy on Christmas morning. We enjoyed the day with you and mostly because of you. See you in August Andy.