At present, Everton are in 35th place in the seedings for the first round of the Uefa Cup, however, there are 8 matches tonight in the Champions League qualifying that could see Everton fall to 43rd place and potentially be kicked out of the seedings for the first round.
- Firstly we have Steaua Bucharest against Bate Borisov from Belarus. The teams drew 2:2 in the first leg, but one would expect Bucharest to qualify being at home and having 2 away goals, but it is one potential slip-up.
- Next comes Rosenborg from Norway, taking on Tampere United from Finland. With Rosenborg winning the first leg 3:0 and being at home in the second leg, the higher ranked Rosenborg should easily get through.
- Then we come to the German outfit and Everton's pre-season friendly opponents, Werder Bremen, who are playing against Dinamo Zagreb. With Bremen winning 2:1 at home in the first leg, we have the potential of another slip-up here.
- Fourth on the list is Shakhtar Donetsk trying to overcome FC Salzburg. Salzburg won 1:0 in the first leg, but the higher ranked Donetsk will be looking to turn this tie around at home tonight. But it is still potentially a third team ranked higher than us going out tonight.
- Valencia go to Elfsborg tonight with a 3:0 advantage in the second leg, so there should be no problems for the Spanish outfit there (famous last words!!)
- Dynamo Kiev take a 1:0 lead into their home leg against Sarajevo, which should be just enough to see them through.
- Benfica's 2:1 win at home to Copenhagen could potentially pose some problems in Denmark, so another possible banana skin there.
- Finally we have Beşiktas going into their home leg with Zurich tied at 1:1. Will the "Welcome to Hell" banners be out again?
Of these 6, three teams recorded a draw or a slender lead going into tonight, but they are playing at home. These are Steaua Bucharest (drew 2:2), Dynamo Kiev (won 1:0) and Besiktas (drew 1:1).
The remaining 3 ties look a bit close to call, and it will probably depend on how the teams actually play tonight. These are Shakhtar Donetsk (lost 0:1 away), Werder Bremen (won 2:1 at home) and Benfica (won 2:1 at home).
But looking at these ties, it would seem that later on tonight when the results are in, we can be safe in the knowledge that we should be seeded for the first round of the Uefa Cup.
But don't forget, that if things do really go bad for Everton tonight, then there are possibilities tomorrow night for us to creep back into the seeded places, but for once, it would be nice to have something sorted out early if possible!
Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer
1 Posted 29/08/2007 at 14:44:29
2 Posted 29/08/2007 at 14:53:12
crap beer and mint team, a combo made in heaven.
3 Posted 29/08/2007 at 15:09:55
4 Posted 29/08/2007 at 15:28:58
5 Posted 29/08/2007 at 15:53:29
Thanks for the kind comment.
I’ll try and keep everyone updated as the action unfolds tonight, so keep checking back later on.
6 Posted 29/08/2007 at 15:54:39
7 Posted 29/08/2007 at 16:15:55
8 Posted 29/08/2007 at 16:26:46
9 Posted 29/08/2007 at 16:31:29
10 Posted 29/08/2007 at 16:41:04
11 Posted 29/08/2007 at 16:46:08
12 Posted 29/08/2007 at 16:40:09
Is there ANY team/ fans who, at the start of a competition think: Yes, we are deffo going to win this competition? Did you have those thoughts when we won the cup winners cup - thought not, stop talking drivel.
13 Posted 29/08/2007 at 17:13:52
14 Posted 29/08/2007 at 17:29:46
15 Posted 29/08/2007 at 17:34:43
Very good article but I’m just slightly confused on one thing.
You say there is a potential slip up in the Zagreb vs Bremen game. But surely if either of those teams lose we will drop down in the seedings either way as they would be ranked ahead of us?
Be great if you can clear that up for me- just couldn’t get my head around it.
16 Posted 29/08/2007 at 17:38:33
I personally would love to see us get passed the groupstage.. if we do that.. it’s all down to the draw.. with luck there we can go far.. unlucky and we get some extremely tough teams early on in the knockoutstages.
17 Posted 29/08/2007 at 17:45:31
Dinamo Zagreb Cro 17.533
Everton have something on 24.xxx
so if they loose we’re above them in the ranking order.
18 Posted 29/08/2007 at 18:18:20
19 Posted 29/08/2007 at 18:20:04
20 Posted 29/08/2007 at 19:38:04
21 Posted 29/08/2007 at 20:34:15
This is our chance to to visit some of the places we missed out on last time. I want to see us in Sarajevo, or Red Star Belgrade, or even playing Dukla Prague (probably not possible).
Being drawn against some of Europe’s best historical teams is surely better than playing the ’nouveau riche’ likes of chelsea and barcelona. football is all about emotion and romance and the UEFA has far more of that the "champions" league.
22 Posted 30/08/2007 at 01:23:02
23 Posted 30/08/2007 at 17:05:38
24 Posted 30/08/2007 at 20:35:57
25 Posted 30/08/2007 at 21:53:40
26 Posted 31/08/2007 at 00:22:23
27 Posted 31/08/2007 at 11:04:23
28 Posted 31/08/2007 at 11:20:08
Standard Liege (Belgium)
Metallist Kharkov (Ukraine)
BATE Borisov (Belarus)
See uefa.com (Draw at 12.00 our time)
29 Posted 31/08/2007 at 12:13:42
30 Posted 31/08/2007 at 13:48:35
Add Your Comments
In order to post a comment to Column articles, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.
Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and MailBag submissions across the site.