Season › 2014-15 › News
Martinez quashes Eto'o speculation
Boss provides transfer and injury updates

Media reports over the weekend had suggested that Eto'o was set to join Sampdoria, with Mail Online going as far as to say the striker had been offered £1.7m a season by the Serie A club while other outlets claimed interest from Valencia.
Martinez rejected the speculation, though, saying that, "there's always a lot of speculation but we haven't been contacted and we've had no conversations at all.
"At the moment Samuel is working really well and is always a really strong influence in the day-to-day work, and there is nothing to comment on really."
He also insisted that the club will "not be selling its biggest assets" this month and that includes Seamus Coleman who continues to be linked with a move to Manchester United.
"I have said before that we are in a position where all that matters is to get good momentum in the league and be as strong as we can in the cups," the Catalan explained.
"We are not entertaining that speculation of big sales. We are not going to sell our big assets in the window, so I think all those stories and admiration from the outside are just a waste of time."
The Blues' manager said that Tim Howard is still five to seven weeks away from being able to return and he confirmed that enquiries have been over a new goalkeeper but there is "nothing conclusive" in that regard. Martinez rejected claims that has made an approach for Cardiff City's David Marshall whose withdrawal from his club's match on Saturday fuelled speculation that he was preparing for a move.
Meanwhile, Darron Gibson is going through what his manager described as a "mini pre-season" as he works to get back to full fitness again.
The midfielder's latest attempt to return to regular first-team action broke down on international duty when he felt pain in his knee in the Euro2016 qualifier against Scotland last year.
Martinez did not provide a timescale for his return but explained that he has no new injury worries for the cup replay at Upton Park tomorrow and that in addition to Conor McAleny, who is fit again, he will have the same squad from which to choose.
Reader Comments (32)
Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer
4 Posted 12/01/2015 at 17:03:10
We have had time to consider options and we undoubtedly need a top quality keeper to replace TH in the medium to long term so I would have expected more urgency than "If we donÂt find someone we will have to hope that youth develops a bit quicker".
5 Posted 12/01/2015 at 17:10:09
6 Posted 12/01/2015 at 17:19:53
At least Gibson is getting pre-season training - more than the rest of the squad got!!
7 Posted 12/01/2015 at 17:39:37
8 Posted 12/01/2015 at 18:19:06
9 Posted 12/01/2015 at 18:22:38
More hopeful of keeping Seamus for a bit longer now though.
10 Posted 12/01/2015 at 19:01:08
12 Posted 12/01/2015 at 19:13:19
Surely not ?
14 Posted 12/01/2015 at 19:34:13
15 Posted 12/01/2015 at 19:41:57
TH was supposed to be out for 4-6 weeks... 2 weeks ago. Now we're told he won't be back for another 5-7 weeks. So basically the guy's out until March. That suddenly makes getting another GK a higher priority than getting a decent winger. However, I'd look to bring in an old experienced GK who's kicking his heals on a bench somewhere (Friedal from Spurs?) and wait until the summer to get a proper long term replacement for TH.
Given Robles a proper chance to stake a claim and use the 㿞k/week to get a decent winger in this month.
16 Posted 12/01/2015 at 19:45:00
17 Posted 12/01/2015 at 19:58:47
Still its a valid point. It's a waste of a space in the squad and gives us nothing. He's been injured for so long now that if he hasn't made a meaningful recovery by the end of the season, I agree, the club should look to just reach a deal and move on. Even if his wages are insured for injury, it prevents the manager from signing someone else who'll contribute.
Everton in their wisdom however gave him a looooonnngggg contract when he arrived and it's still got another season after this one to run. Apparently he's made just 9 appearances since August 2013 and a total of 50 in the 3 seasons he's been with us so far....
It's beyond a joke now although I'd love to have a fit Gibson in our MF.
Distin, Alcaraz and Gibson should all be moved off the wage bill come the summer.
18 Posted 12/01/2015 at 20:17:43
Roberto has got to do done serious squad pruning in the summer and I wouldn't be to bothered to see the back of Gibson, Alcaraz, Pienaar, Distin, Eto'o, Atsu which would cut the wage bill by around 𧶀,000 per week.
19 Posted 12/01/2015 at 20:45:41
20 Posted 12/01/2015 at 21:05:42
21 Posted 12/01/2015 at 23:05:23
Martinez will then have one less square peg to shoehorn into a round hole. He has been a world class player, has being the oppropriate word. Let him go and use the saved wages assist in buying Marshall and hopefully Delboy.
22 Posted 12/01/2015 at 23:13:57
23 Posted 12/01/2015 at 23:28:40
24 Posted 12/01/2015 at 23:36:06
26 Posted 13/01/2015 at 01:15:53
27 Posted 13/01/2015 at 03:31:30
As a result of the expected poor league finish, the club will earn around 5-10 million less relative to last season. Also the lack of European football next season will add a further 10-12 million to the deficit. The only way the club can make up the 15-22 million loss is to sell a player or 2.
28 Posted 13/01/2015 at 09:36:53
We need all the help we can get this season, thanks to RM's failure to address our defensive issues and an older, cool head can only be a good thing, even if it's only in the form of helping to hold the ball up if we need to close a game out, or in terms of his behind the scenes support to the aforementioned younger squad members who must benefit from being around a player of his stature in the game.
29 Posted 13/01/2015 at 03:57:27
So long as he is played as a forward, he must stay.
30 Posted 13/01/2015 at 11:35:45
31 Posted 13/01/2015 at 11:46:14
Maybe if he played in his correct position, we wouldn't all be worried about him leaving us!
32 Posted 13/01/2015 at 15:10:48
33 Posted 13/01/2015 at 18:00:03
All the games I have seen him in on tv he usually pops up with a goal inside the goal area and not often from long range. He is the type of player that with his close control inside the area make defenders nervous about tackling and his positional sense inside the area is something that just comes natural.
He may be past his best but he is still the best in his position at the club. I just wish that Martinez would not continue to play players in their wrong positions just to justify him bringing them to the club.
34 Posted 13/01/2015 at 18:41:56
35 Posted 13/01/2015 at 21:48:03
36 Posted 14/01/2015 at 00:44:52
I’m laughing mate.
37 Posted 17/01/2015 at 16:48:45
Add Your Comments
In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.
Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.


1 Posted 12/01/2015 at 16:49:07
He may have drifted lately in terms of performance but heÂs still had and hopefully will have a say in helping the team out.
IÂd keep him on until the summer.