Season › 2014-15 › News
Fit again McCarthy raring to go

James McCarthy says he is delighted to be back on the field for Everton and is looking forward to putting his injury woes behind him over the remainder of the season.
The 24 year-old is in line to make a third successive appearance for the Blues against Young Boys having ended a frustrating five-week spell on the sidelines by playing the full 90 minutes of the Merseyside derby and then another 45 at Chelsea last week.
A recurrent hamstring problem has severely disrupted his second season at Everton following his £13m move from Wigan Athletic and kept him out of 14 matches but McCarthy is confident that he is in the clear now and can concentrate on helping the Blues back to winning ways, starting with a win in tomorrow's first leg in the Europa League round of 32.
"I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow night," the Irish international said at a press conference in Switzerland today. "Obviously, it's going to be difficult. The gaffer's showed us clips of the way Young Boys play and it's not an easy place to come but we'll look forward to the challenge and also to getting them back to Goodison."
Asked about his fitness after so long out, McCarthy told reporters: "So far so good. I've felt good in the last couple of games and, obviously, I've been training all week. It's just good to be back training with the lads and to be back involved with the games.
"To be honest, I think I've been looked after well off the pitch and we've changed a few things in training. The gaffer's been looking after me. I've not been training too much; he's been pulling me out to let me do some work in the gym. I'm just delighted to be back and involved and long may it continue."
While he missed a couple of games early on the season, including the Europa League trip to Krasnodar when he was withdrawn from the travelling party because of what his manager described as "quad muscle fatigue", the midfielder returned to the side two matches later and then soldiered through a "minor" issue with his hamstring until the away game at Wolfsburg. He had to be taken off just half an hour into that game having suffered a more serious problem that would dog him for most of the next three months and keep him from playing at all between late December and earlier this month.
“It was always going to be a long recovery," the Irish international said in the Liverpool Echo. “I wanted to get back as soon as I could and it got delayed another couple of weeks and that is part and parcel of football.
"[Now] it is just about getting me going and getting my fitness going [and] I'm just delighted to be back and I don't want to break down again. The gaffer will know what he's doing with me, he'll take it day-by-day and not get too carried away.
“I want to keep working hard and get back to the fitness I had when I broke down. It's just good to be back with the team, you miss that when you're injured — you're in the gym with the physio. It's good to be back involved with each and every one of the players.”
Reader Comments (11)
Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer
2 Posted 19/02/2015 at 00:02:25
4 Posted 19/02/2015 at 10:40:47
"I wouldn't risk Macca tomorrow/today on a plastic pitch"
This is our last chance to do anything of note during this dreadful season.
I'd risk ALL of them!
5 Posted 19/02/2015 at 10:43:30
McCarthy will play against Leicester, as Barry is suspended, so we need him at his fighting best.
6 Posted 19/02/2015 at 11:50:19
7 Posted 19/02/2015 at 12:40:25
9 Posted 19/02/2015 at 15:11:38
10 Posted 19/02/2015 at 15:20:19
11 Posted 19/02/2015 at 15:29:14
We still need to take this game seriously though but with Gibson back and Barry out for Sunday then agree that a not 100% fit McCarthy should not be risked for this one.
Really hope we can get a result there. Already have the advantage of having the second leg at home.
12 Posted 19/02/2015 at 15:46:51
13 Posted 19/02/2015 at 16:30:00
Who do you shoot/hang first for this dispiicable position.
Add Your Comments
In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.
Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.


1 Posted 18/02/2015 at 23:48:26
Besic and Macca... be interesting to know whether RM puts a third defensive player in or reverts to the RM of old (last season) and goes for more creativity and attacking formation with Ross sitting in front of them?
Good luck, boys!