Reader Comments (25)

Colin Glassar
2 Posted 27/07/2020 at 20:17:32
Schneiderlin 4? Surely a typo πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Rob Dolby
3 Posted 27/07/2020 at 20:29:49
Pint well and truly half empty.

Pickford – better than most. Jekyl and Hyde. In many games he makes fantastic saves followed by a moment of madness.

Coleman – can still do a job at this level.

Digne – his form picked up towards the end of the season.

Keane – had a good 2nd half of the season.

Holgate – took his chance well and looks to be future captain material.

Mina – made of glass.

Branthwaite – got potential.
Gordon – got potential.

Midfield – one of the worst in the division.

Gomes – injury hit season. Lucky to get him back so soon though obviously not fit.

Richarlison – a potential Β£100M player. If his team mates had his effort, we would be top 4. If they had his ability, we would win the league!

The rest of them are bommie wood.

Michael Lynch
4 Posted 27/07/2020 at 20:42:11
Thoroughly depressing article, and the most depressing thing is that I agree almost totally with the ratings.
Steve Hogan
5 Posted 27/07/2020 at 20:53:29
I stopped reading at No 4, Lucas Digne 'incredibly overrated', actually our most accomplished defender for years, and no shortage of suitors at home or abroad, should the club decide to sell.

Next please.

Sam Hoare
6 Posted 27/07/2020 at 21:38:02
A 4 for Digne is ridiculous. He's got the third most assists in the league and for me is the only other contender for Player of the Season with Richarlison.
Joe McMahon
7 Posted 27/07/2020 at 21:39:55
This is harsh, but Pickford for me is just awful in every way. I do consider him the worst keeper in the league, he costs us too many goals and points - 0

Midfield just crass, at least Iwobi and Walcott run

Digne, Holgate and Richie standouts for me (I know there isn't many)

Calvert-Lewin and Kean. Calvert-Lewin runs and tries but I still feel his finishing and decisions are lacking, I want him to be another Kane or Vardy, but it's not gonna happen. Kean- I still feel a proper run and he won't disappoint us.

Biggest disappointment for me is Tom Davies, over 100 appearances now and just 1 goal in the last 2 seasons. Seriously, that is a dreadful stat, and I just don't see him as a midfield player any team in the top 10 would want.

There is some hope next season (not much), but fingers crossed for Branthwaite, Gordon.

Must keep - Holgate and Richarlison

The Board, well EitC are doing great, Denise. But that's Everton FC in a nutshell. We at last get backed by millions but we end up with the billionaire version of Frank Spencer.

Robert Tressell
8 Posted 27/07/2020 at 22:00:44
I guess you've not enjoyed this season much. Or possibly the last 25 years...
Bill Gienapp
9 Posted 27/07/2020 at 23:53:35
Definitely harsh on Digne who, whether you believe it or not, was still one of the best left-backs in the league this season, based on advanced stats. I did enjoy the scathing assessment of Delph though.
Don Alexander
10 Posted 28/07/2020 at 01:03:17
Moshiri needs to give his 5-star manager the 5-star ingredients all such managers need to deliver even 4-star results. If he doesn't, Ancelotti will still be flipping stale, smelly burgers next season rather than the delightful, winning fare he's associated with.

Over to you, Farhad, and don't even consider seeking the opinion of any of the football muppets you've lodged in your boardroom.

Bill Watson
11 Posted 28/07/2020 at 05:39:27
Harsh on Digne; generous on Delph.
Bill Fairfield
12 Posted 28/07/2020 at 11:13:12
Very generous ratings, big majority of this squad are a living nightmare.
Stephen Vincent
13 Posted 28/07/2020 at 13:33:26
Stopped reading at the ridiculous assessment of Digne.
John Raftery
14 Posted 29/07/2020 at 10:49:54
Having just skimmed the article there are some very inaccurate markings. In fact most of them!

I agree, Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison were our best players.

Nick Page
15 Posted 29/07/2020 at 10:54:28
Bill Kenwright: -25,000,000
Darren Hind
16 Posted 29/07/2020 at 10:56:51
The markings on here are in the eye of the beholder, John.

It's the comments which are so utterly predictable.

Barry Rathbone
17 Posted 30/07/2020 at 09:56:07
The names may change but the school report has remained at "could do better" since the days of Walter Smith, bar a season each for Moyes and Martinez.

Unless the summer transfer window monumentally exceeds expectations, so it will continue.

Trevor Peers
18 Posted 30/07/2020 at 10:09:35
Marcel Brands end of year report:

This student is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.

Michael Penley
19 Posted 31/07/2020 at 03:41:25
Everton seems to serve the purpose of the 'beast of burden' for a lot of fans. Something to cast off your sins onto, someone else made to feel guilty so you yourself are not.

It's no big surprise when the most promising acquisitions and managers fail to achieve anything, when we're banking on them to do just that.

Jay Harris
20 Posted 31/07/2020 at 04:37:46
Very subjective ratings and an emotional rather than rational post.

Pointless to comment further except to say I expect a lot better from the club as a whole next season and I am really looking forward to Kenwright being put out to grass.

David Currie
21 Posted 31/07/2020 at 18:46:23
Trevor @18,

That was very funny.

Graeme Beresford
22 Posted 31/07/2020 at 21:51:41
To be honest, Martin, I think that list is a disgrace. All I read was β€˜I said this, I said that' I feel like you may be our answer.

Send your CV in to Everton because you clearly know your stuff. Either that or you're just critical of every player and then when that player as a bad season you can lookback and say β€˜I told you'.

Boring.

Paul Hewitt
23 Posted 31/07/2020 at 21:59:23
I think Martin has been very generous with his scores. Most would have got a big fat Zero.
Steve Ferns
24 Posted 31/07/2020 at 22:08:56
What did Anthony Gordon do wrong to only get a 5? Likewise Branthwaite only got a 6. I'd have given them both at least a 7, perhaps an 8 for Branthwaite.

Digne might have had the odd bad game, but he's been one of our best players and should get at least a 6. He's far from overrated and we could get very good money if we sold him. Tottenham are interested for a start, but more would reveal themselves if we did make it known we were willing to let him go.

Andrew Keatley
25 Posted 31/07/2020 at 22:41:51
End of Article Report For Martin O’Connor:

Subjectively reductive over-reaction to what has been a very difficult season, culminating in lazy summaries and deliberately obtuse player ratings. Probably destined to work as a contributor on some clickbait football gossip blog or website. 2.5.

Kase Chow
26 Posted 31/07/2020 at 23:21:37
Good article and I agree with most ratings aside from Kean (which is very generous 4/10 for 3 half-decent performances?!?)

Anyway, we play boring football with no sense of plan. (Are we tiki talks? Are we trying to play to the wings and hope the strikers connect with crosses? Are we a counter-attack team? I really don't see any progress under Carlo yet).

Supporting Everton is a real labour of love.