Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank Nuno Valente upon his release. He has been the model professional that everyone seems to want but no one seems to appreciate.

He came to Goodison at a tough time. All our leftbacks (remember Pistone?) were injured long term and he did his job quietly and effectively, without causing any controversy whatsoever. It is a shame that his release comes at the same time as "good riddance" to Andy Shandy, I wouldn't put those two names together ever again for those two have been quite the opposite in their contributions to the club.

I've heard reports that Valente shares a great rapport with the manager and also with the players. If anything, he probably helps behind the scenes, communicating with Portuguese speaking players such as Jo.

It is a real shame that he has to go and could not be retained as part of the backroom staff (a la Stubbs). I wish him all the best.

Farewell Nuno and once again, Thank you.
Nigel Gregson, Auckland, New Zealand     Posted 12/06/2009 at 22:13:44

Comments

Neil Adams
1   Posted 13/06/2009 at 09:53:42

Some players are class on and off the pitch, some just on it and some not at all.

Nuno, you always gave 100% and for that we will always be thankful.

Let?s not show a lack of class ourselves and go on about AvdM but just let him leave quietly.

All the best for the future to both of them.
Colin Potter
2   Posted 13/06/2009 at 10:02:30

Well said Neil Adams, the best of luck to both of them.
Mike Dillon
3   Posted 13/06/2009 at 10:15:12

Aye, I’d like to wish Nuno all the best as well.

I had a hope we’d retain him, if only in a coaching role. Someone with his experience would surely be a help with our trips into Europe.

I thought he was rather underrated - if I remember correctly, after his arrival, the left back position was one that was never in the "we need to improve this summer" list and that says everything about his quality.
Colin Malone
4   Posted 13/06/2009 at 10:17:13

Why have we let Nuno go??? Where's the cover for Bains? Nuno can also play left side of midfield.
There's only Lescott who might not be here next season; even though I'd like to see Nuno stay.
Andy Hegan
5   Posted 13/06/2009 at 10:38:42

Ditto Nige and Jay.
Mike Cleave
6   Posted 13/06/2009 at 10:40:43

When I was a few years younger, Nuno was great for signing autographs and letting us have photos with him. He would always stop and chat to us and was a genuinely nice guy.

I wish him all the best for the future.
Lewis Abbott
7   Posted 13/06/2009 at 10:39:16

I can't get my head around this one. I know he was injured a lot last season but, as everyone has said on here so far, he was a model professional and our only real cover at left back. He would have also had a good role to play with all his experience.

However does this mean that we are keeping Lescott? Moyes must see him as ahead of Nuno for the left back role...! But this worries me as, the more Lescott plays at left back, the more unhappy he is going to become.

Unless of course he has a series of players lined up?
Vijay Nair
8   Posted 13/06/2009 at 10:42:37

Ditto guys... All the best to Nuno wherever he goes. Always gave 100% when called upon and no whinging unlike some others that i shall not mention. Was surprised to see JP Kissock and Scott Spencer released though. Guess they just didn?t make the grade.
Anthony Millington
9   Posted 13/06/2009 at 11:29:00

Not a bad piece of business by Moyes for 1 million pound! I remember his immense challenge against Tottenham where he made a crunching challenge winning the ball and sending his opponent about 5 feet up in the air!
Neil McKinney
10   Posted 13/06/2009 at 12:34:28

I will echo the comments above. I really liked Nuno and he went about his business quietly and effectively. I was really hoping he?d come back from the injury and give us another year, but it obviously wasn?t to be.

AVDM was one of those failed signings that I hope we don?t see too many more of, but I?m not going to hold any grudges, we all knew it was coming.

Good luck to the pair of them, especially Nuno who will be remembered fondly and will always be welcome at Goodison.

COYB
Alan Kirwin
11   Posted 13/06/2009 at 13:21:26

Great player, great man. Would be excellent if he can return one day so we can show appreciation.
John Martin
12   Posted 13/06/2009 at 14:43:50

Like everybody else, I?d like to thank Nuno for his services and wish him all the best for the future. He always carried himself well and never moaned and did ok for us when fit. I don't have a bad word to say about him.
Tony Nicholls
13   Posted 13/06/2009 at 15:30:28

Little surprised at Nuno going because of the lack of left back cover. The only thing I can think of is that Moyes must rate the young Irish lad we signed a six month or so back. Think his name was Seamus Coleman. Haven?t heard much about him though since he arrived. Hopefully he?s a gem.
Simon Gilmovitch
14   Posted 13/06/2009 at 15:33:05

Nuno, ex-Champions League winner with Porto, I seem to remember it was Mourinho who recommended Everton to him. Great player, great man, always willing to sign autographs and have a picture taken. I echo previous posts ? we want men of his class around the club; pity we couldn?t find a coaching job for him.
Steve Wilson
15   Posted 13/06/2009 at 15:55:58

Thank you, Nuno.
Jason Broome
16   Posted 13/06/2009 at 17:30:20

Have to show my appreciation.

He always reminded me of Pat van den Hauwe. He embodied what being an Evertonian was all about. No ego, hard working, patient and down to earth.

I will personally miss having him on board. Hope he has a great future whatever path he chooses to follow.
Martin Handley
17   Posted 13/06/2009 at 21:28:38

Rumour has it Nuno himself admitted to backroom staff that his knees are shot, hence not playing last season.

With regards to putting him on the staff, it would not surprise in the least if once he?s finished getting his badges in the next few months that he doesn?t return to us as a coach. Totally agree with everything said about him: class on and off the pitch. Shame that can?t be said about other people who've been let go.

Good luck, Nuno lad, don?t be a stranger!

Frank Nolan
18   Posted 13/06/2009 at 21:58:06

Thanks Nuno, class and dignity on and off the pitch.
Would be nice if he could see the warmth and affection voiced on this thread.
Lue Glover
19   Posted 13/06/2009 at 22:09:41

I?ve always been a big fan of Valente though sadly, by the time he joined us, his best days were behind him. He had some terrible luck with injuries but he was indeed a model pro and always gave his all.

One or two games in particular spring to mind: the Carling Cup game v Arsenal a few seasons ago when Nuno had just come back from an injury but he tackled Denilson, I think it was and I honestly thought one of them would end up in the stands! Thankfully Nuno walked away unscathed but I reckon it was one of the best tackles I?ve ever seen.

The other game that sticks in my mind was the 7-1 v Sunderland. Nuno and Pienaar were just fantastic down that left side and Nuno was instumental in at least three of the goals on that day.

Thanks Nuno, I wish you the very best for the future, thank you for my signed shirt and photo and I hope one day you will come back to Goodison... but not playing for anyone else, of course!

Neil Steele
20   Posted 13/06/2009 at 23:48:00

I would just echo what has been said, great guy, great pro and a good servant to the club. He did spend a long time injured but from what I?m told they were all genuine and he was a tough bastard and more than willing to play.

I heard a story that before one game we had nobody to play left back and his ankle was badly swollen but he told Baz "you strap it, I play!!" All credit to the lad, it?s nice to part with players on such good terms.

Mike Jovic
21   Posted 14/06/2009 at 00:52:18

I can only echo what has been said above. Quality signing who brought class and dignity to our club. Nuno is a fine example of how we have improved over the past few years.

We thank him, wish him well, and as Alan Kirwin says, I hope one day he will return so we can thank him properly ? thank-you Nuno...
Stewart Littler
22   Posted 14/06/2009 at 01:12:20

A fond farewell to Nuno Valente ? I think the reason he has gone is to perhaps have one final season playing some football ? something we couldn?t offer. And to all the young lads ? good luck in your future careers.
Paul Walsh
23   Posted 14/06/2009 at 01:18:02

Great to see these comments about Valente. It is right to laud the efforts of a player who scaled the very heights of club football before he came to us. It?s called respect and I wish to add my name to those who have already registered their appreciation.

In fact it?s interesting to contrast Valente?s exemplary conduct with that of his compatriot and fellow Champions League winner who also departed the north-west this week. The contempt Cristiano Ronaldo displayed towards Manchester United?s supporters with his faux interviews on SSN for instance, towards the end of the season was a disgrace frankly.

It?s good to see Valente concluding his career here in such an honourable and dignified way. Good luck to him and he may make a great addition to the coaching staff in the future.

Santosh Benjamin
24   Posted 14/06/2009 at 05:48:58

Thanks for the work that you put in for us, Nuno. You really carried yourself well during your time with us. I wish you all the very best in your future. I hope you will return to us in some capacity as part of the coaching staff.
Lue Glover
25   Posted 14/06/2009 at 08:05:06

Is there any way that these messages could be forwarded to Nuno through the club maybe? I?m sure he would appreciate hearing these comments?

How about it guys? Of course, I?d be prepared to deliver them personally to the gorgeous fella!!!!

Good point re Cristina Ronaldo, what a wally he is!

Norman Merrill
26   Posted 14/06/2009 at 11:54:05

All great tributes, to a very genuine guy, and fine footballer.
And I would like to add my very best wishes, to Nuno and his family, for the future..
Tom Campbell
27   Posted 14/06/2009 at 13:20:37

Thanks Nuno, Great servant to EFC.
Christine Foster
28   Posted 14/06/2009 at 14:09:10

In today's age, the lure of money and the arrogance of many make Nuno stand out all the more; he did a brilliant job for the club both on and off the field. It's a shame the fans could not show their appreciation in a more tangible manner... perhaps at the start of next season he can be presented to the crowd at our first home match. He has shown that honour and dedication to ones fellow players and a loyalty to both club and its fans have not dissappeared, thankfully.

Truely a class professional, a class person and someone proud to have worn an Everton shirt. We were proud to have him. Thank you, Nuno, no mater where you go you have a place in Liverpool in the hearts of our fans. Good Luck in all your future plans.

Dom Eaton
29   Posted 14/06/2009 at 14:03:36

Agree chaps, would love him to still be here.

Wish you all the best Nuno, a great fan of yours and hope to see you here again. COYB

Frank Castle
30   Posted 15/06/2009 at 01:27:53

After beating Man Utd in the semi-final of the FA Cup, I seen him walking back to his hotel amongst thousands of Everton fans. I really doubt any of the United players that were dropped or were injured turned up to watch/support their team!

Didn?t know him personally but, every time his name was on the starting line-up, a feeling of comfort always sprung. Never heard/read him once complain to press about not getting enough games, which shows his class.

Thanks Nuno.