Memory Lane – Burnley

The Clarets – Vintage Opponents: Burnley v Everton

6 – A Charlie Nicholas penalty on the stroke of half-time is enough to earn Arsenal a victory at Highbury (1-0) as the Gunners go two points clear of Nottm Forest at the top of the table. Pat van den Hauwe makes his first appearance for Everton.

10 – Everton despatch Sheffield United (4-0) in the second leg of the Milk Cup 2nd Round tie as Mountfield, Sharp, Bracewell and Heath all appear on the scoresheet.

11 – Aston Villa’s Reserves beat Everton Reserves (2-0) as the second string lose for the first time since the Bramhall Lane shambles.

13 – Graeme Sharp and Peter Withe both score in the first-half but a late goal from Adrian Heath earns the Toffees all the points from their encounter with Aston Villa at Goodison Park, to make up for the diminutive striker's earlier penalty miss.

16 – Everton Reserves lose again, this time to Manchester United Reserves (1-2); Andy Gray notched Everton’s consolation goal.

20 – For the first time since 1970, Evertonians leave Anfield with smiles on their faces following Graeme Sharp’s unbelievable strike that earns Everton all the points from a crucial encounter with Liverpool (0-1), Everton move up to 4th place in the table while their hosts are down in 17th.

24 – Paul Bracewell scores the only goal of the game as Everton return from Inter Bratislava (0-1) with a useful result in the ECWC Second Round First Leg… Kevin Richardson undergoes surgery on his injured toe and is expected to be out of action for a month.

25 – Rob Wakenshaw and Andy Gray are on target for Everton Reserves at Hillsborough but it doesn’t prevent the team from losing for the third time in consecutive outings, this time to Sheffield Wednesday (4-2).

27 – Everton are visited by top-six rivals Manchester United but the gulf in class between the two sides is underlined by the scoreline as Kevin Sheedy (2), Adrian Heath, Gary Stevens and Graeme Sharp send United (5-0) home with their tails between their legs. The result propels Everton into 2nd place in the table two points behind leaders Arsenal who lost at West Ham (3-1)

28 – Andy Gray scores twice and Rob Wakenshaw and John Morrissey add to the tally as Everton Reserves beat Blackburn Rovers Reserves (2-4).

30 – Alan Brazil’s first half strike set Ron Atkinson’s United side on the road to revenge for the previous mauling at Goodison Park, but a penalty from Graeme Sharp and an own goal by ex Everton player John Gidman sees Everton progress in the Milk Cup Third Round encounter at Old Trafford… Everton Reserves get back to winning ways as they beat Notts County (4-0) at Goodison Park. Terry Curran (2), Derek Walsh and Rob Wakenshaw are the marksmen for the hosts.

October 1994

Duncan Ferguson arrives on Merseyside but Everton’s form continues to cause concern.

1 – Andrei Kanchelskis and Lee Sharpe score in each half as Everton (2-0) lose at Old Trafford.

3 – Scottish Internationals Ian Durrant and Duncan Ferguson are signed on loan from Glasgow Rangers.

4 – Striker Brett Angell breaks a leg in a reserve match against Coventry City.

5 – Everton draw at Portsmouth (1-1) in the Coca-Cola Cup but go out on aggregate due to an earlier home defeat (2-3) at the hands of the Division One side.

12 – Barry Horne, out since the summer with a knee injury, captains Wales in Moldova before regaining his place in the club side.

13 – Ian Snodin goes to Sunderland on a month’s loan.

15 – Coventry add to the gloom around Goodison as Roy Wegerlie and Dion Dublin both score in opening 20 minutes to help the visitors beat Everton (0-2).

22 – Neville Southall’s 464th League appearance takes him past Ted Sagar’s all-time club record… But even Big Nev can’t prevent another defeat on the road, this time it’s Crystal Palace who beat Everton (1-0) thanks to a goal by Andy Preece.

29 – After four successive Premiership defeats, Everton secure their only point in the month thanks to David Unsworth’s goal but Stefan Schwarz’s equaliser denies Everton their first win of the campaign as they draw with Arsenal (1-1) and remain rooted to the bottom of the table with four points from a possible thirty-six, and lie six points behind fourth from bottom Aston Villa.

October 2004 – Redknapp in the Dock as Blues make good progress in League and Cup

1 – “This club [Everton] is an institution and a lot of greats have passed through the doors. What we have to do is make Everton great again” – David Moyes is quoted as saying in an interview with Sky Sports.

2 – Spurs do an Everton and take three points from Goodison thanks to a single goal scored by Noe Pamarot… Injury concerns for Tim Cahill as Jamie Redknapp appears to leave his foot in on the Australian. Graham Poll issues a yellow card but most observers believe it should have been a red…. David Moyes admits that Scott Parker would be the type of player that would interest him, if the player became available.

4 – Gary Naysmith and James McFadden called up to Scotland’s World Cup Qualifying squad to face Moldova and Norway… Tim Cahill receives good news on the injury he sustained in the game with Spurs after Jamie Redknapp went over the top, the Australian has no serious damage… Redknapp to sit out a three-match ban following FA investigation… Graham Poll admits he may have been too close to the incident and offers that as a reason not to issue a red card in the first place… Preston North End will face Everton in the League Cup following their victory at Leicester City.

5 – Everton Reserve loses to Sunderland (0-4).

9 – James McFadden sent-off for Scotland after handling on the line against Norway.

10 – Kevin Kilbane stars for Ireland against France in goalless draw in a World Cup Qualifier at the Stade De France.

16 – Tim Cahill plays against Southampton but it takes a late goal from Leon Osman to seal the points for the Toffees.

19 – Everton reserves beat Aston Villa (3-1) at Haig Avenue among the goals were James McFadden, James Vaughan and Nick Chadwick.

23 – Everton win again this time at Carrow Road (2-3), Kevin Kilbane and Marcus Bent gave Everton a two goal lead but were then pegged back by the home side. Duncan Ferguson ensured the Blues gained all the points with a classic Duncan header.

24 – Wayne Rooney on his 19th Birthday earns a penalty and scores for his new club as Manchester United beat Arsenal (2-0) ending the Gunners long unbeaten Premier League record at Old Trafford.

26 – Everton Reserves draw with League leaders Manchester City (2-2) James Vaughan grabs both goals.

27 – Everton make progress in the Carling Cup as Lee Carsley and Marcus Bent grab the goals that beat Preston North End (2-0). The Match has a delayed kick-off due to large contingent of away supporters….Everton are drawn away to Arsenal for Round 4.

30 - Everton claim a point in a draw with Aston Villa (1-1) at Goodison Park, Lee Hendrie gave Villa the lead and Marcus Bent chipped the keeper to earn a point for the home side, but the team will be disappointed as they probably should have won the match… Everton remain in 3rd place just two points behind the joint League leaders Arsenal and Chelsea


The Clarets – Vintage Opponents: Burnley v Everton

This season’s game between Burnley and Everton will be the 50th encounter between the two sides in a top-flight fixture at Turf Moor. There are five players remaining in the Everton squad who took part the last time the two sides met at Turf Moor some five years ago: Tim Howard, Tony Hibbert, Leighton Baines, Leon Osman, Steven Pienaar were all in the starting line-up for that game.

Burnley FC was formed in May 1882 when the members decided that association football was preferable to Rugby Union. The Rugby club were named Burnley Rovers but the Football team dropped the Rovers element of their name. Burnley moved to Turf Moor in 1883 and have occupied the site ever since. In the early years Burnley played in various kits predominantly Blue and White but in 1910 when they were using green as their shirt colour the club decided to adopt the same colours as the reigning champions due to a desire to emulate the success of Aston Villa and the team have been kitted out in Claret and Blue ever since. Various nicknames have been attached to Burnley over the years with the most recent one being ‘the Turfites’ other nicknames which have been used are ‘Moorites’ or ‘Royalites’ but probably for people of my vintage ‘the Clarets’ is a more familiar nickname of the Lancashire club.

Burnley like Everton is a founder member of the Football League and the first game between the two sides at Turf Moor on 17 November 1888 ended all-square. Goals by Pat Gallacher and William Mackay gave Burnley a two goal lead after only 20 minutes but Everton fought back as Robert Watson reduced the deficit and Edgar Chadwick got the equaliser as both sides settled for a point.
Everton: Smalley; Dobson, Ross; Holt, Sugg, Farmer; Fleming, Watson, Costley, Chadwick, Brown

The following season (1889-90) Everton won their first game at Turf Moor thanks to another Edgar Chadwick goal.
Everton: Smalley; Hannah, Doyle; Kirkwood, Holt, Parry; Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, Milward

That victory at Turf Moor did not signal the East Lancashire venue as a ‘lucky’ ground for the Toffees as between that first win and the outbreak of WW1 – Everton only managed to win once in eleven attempts in the First Division. The victory in the League encounter came on 16 March 1895 and halted a run of four consecutive defeats for Everton at Turf Moor, Alf Milward (42’) opened the scoring shortly before half-time and early in the second period John Bell (55’) doubled the Toffees lead, Edgar Chadwick added a third before Burnley forward Jock Espie had to leave the field due to an injury. Billy Stewart added a fourth goal to Everton’s tally but 10-man Burnley pulled a couple of goals back one of which was scored by Walter Place Junior whose older cousin also named Walter played in the game as a defender and the other was scored by Billy Bowes.
Everton: Hillman; Kelso, Parry; Boyle, Holt, Stewart; Latta, Bell, Geary, Chadwick, Milward

Burnley were relegated from the First Division in 1896-97 but gained promotion in 1897-98 losing just twice in their thirty League matches. They also made it to the last eight of the FA Cup but lost to Everton (1-3) at Turf Moor. Unfortunately Everton went out at the semi-final stage, which took place at Molineux, to Derby County (1-3).


Although Burnley had shown their quality in the Second Division it was necessary to play a ‘Test Match’ against Stoke City to decide who would gain entry to the top-flight. Both Stoke and Burnley would be playing top-flight football if the game between the two sides ended in a draw and sure enough that is what happened as both teams played out a goalless draw in a game according to reports which became known as the “Match without a shot at goal”.

The Football League decided to end the ‘Test Match’ system and opted for automatic relegation and promotion between the divisions. As it happened, the League extended the top-flight from 16 to 18 clubs for the 1898-99, campaign so the farcical ‘Test Match’ between Stoke and Burnley counted for nothing as they both would have been involved in the top-flight regardless.

Two season’s later (1899-00) Burnley were relegated and the club were once again embroiled in controversy. Burnley keeper Jack Hillman was alleged to have attempted to bribe Nottingham Forest players in the crucial final game of the campaign. Jack Hillman was suspended for the whole of the following season and Burnley were relegated as Nottingham Forest beat Burnley (4-0), so if any bribes were offered they were either refused or failed to get the desired result.

Burnley remained in the lower division until they regained their place in the top-flight in 1912-13, now playing in Claret and Blue they also reached the semi-final of the FA Cup but lost out to Sunderland (2-3) in a replay following a goalless draw. Burnley’s first campaign (1913-14) back in the First Division saw them finish in twelfth place, but they managed to lift the FA Cup by beating Liverpool (1-0) at Crystal Palace – the last FA Cup final to be held at the venue. That FA Cup Final was also the first time that a reigning English Monarch, King George V, had presented the winning captain with the trophy.

During Everton’s title wining campaign of 1914-15, Burnley were one of only two top-flight teams to prevent the Toffees from scoring in a League game – the other was Sheffield United. The Clarets also beat the Blues home and away in their First Division encounters whilst they finished in 4th place three points behind Everton.

Prior to being crowned Champions in 1915, Everton won only two of their 13 League matches at Turf Moor, drawing three times and losing the other eight matches, Everton scored 13 goals and conceded 22.

When Everton travelled to Burnley in April 1920, the Toffees were struggling at the wrong end of the table but were buoyed by their recent home victory over Middlesbrough (5-2) and Burnley had dreams of becoming Champions as they still had hopes of catching West Brom at the top of the table.

Unfortunately for the Blues, Burnley were in rampant form as a hat-trick by Anderson and one goal apiece from Watson and Kelly helped the home team to beat Everton (5-0). The following week Everton drew with Burnley (2-2) at Goodison Park which all but ended Burnley’s title ambitions and they had to settle for runners-up spot, nine points behind the Champions West Brom. It proved an important point for the Toffees as they finished two points above the relegated teams and thus preserved their First Division status.

The following season (1920-21) Burnley lost their opening three matches before embarking on a 30-game unbeaten run, a record that lasted for over 80 years until Arsenal went unbeaten through the whole of the 2003-04 campaign. Everton drew with Burnley (1-1) at Turf Moor and were one of the few teams not beaten by Burnley as the game at Goodison Park also ended in a draw (1-1). Manchester City had the honour of bringing Burnley’s unbeaten record to an end by beating the Clarets (0-3) at Maine Road in March 1921, whilst Bradford City who had beaten the Clarets on the opening day at Turf Moor also beat them on their own patch to be the only side not to drop a point against the Champions.

It wasn’t until April 1923 that Everton recorded a League win at Turf Moor in the 20th Century when a goal by Bobby Irvine 3 minutes from time was enough to earn Everton the points.
Everton: Fern; Raitt, McDonald; Peacock, McBain, Hart; Chedgzoy, Irvine, Forbes, Chadwick, Troup.

Between the wars Everton met Burnley at Turf Moor on twelve occasions coming out on top three times. One of the wins arrived on 17 October 1925, both Everton and Burnley were struggling for form and Everton were on a losing streak in the League as they had lost their previous four matches including heavy losses at Anfield (5-1) and Roker Park (7-3), The match at Turf Moor was a significant one for Dixie Dean as he scored his first Everton hat-trick, his first goal came early in the second-half and the other two both came in the last fifteen minutes in front of only 10,343 people but for those who did witness Dean’s first hat-trick for the Toffees a pretty good “I was there” moment to cherish, Burnley’s Roberts grabbed a consolation for Burnley – the following week Dean scored his first Goodison hat-trick in the victory (4-2) against Leeds.
Everton: Menham; McDonald, Livingstone; Brown, Bain, Hart; Peacock, Irvine, Dean, Chadwick, Troup.

In April 1928 Dixie went one better as he scored four goals at Turf Moor as Everton beat Burnley (3-5). Dean opened the scoring in the first minute but Page and Beel both scored for the hosts to put Burnley in the lead, however, Dean struck twice in five minutes to give Everton the advantage at the break. Beel grabbed his second goal of the game to level matters but a goal from George Martin put the Blues back in front and Dean sealed the win for the visitors two minutes later.
Everton: Menham; McDonald, Livingstone; Brown, Bain, Hart; Peacock, Irvine, Dean, Chadwick, Troup.

Both Everton and Burnley were relegated from the top-flight in season (1929-30) and in the following campaign the two sides met at Turf Moor for a Second Division fixture. On the 13 December 1930 the home side were 5th in the table and Everton were the League leaders but despite goals from Dixie Dean and Jimmy Stein, Everton conceded 5 goals as Beel (2), Prest, Page and Storer all got on the scoresheet. This defeat was the last that Everton would suffer until they lost to West Brom in the FA Cup Semi-Final in March 1931. Everton’s unbeaten run included 16 wins and a single draw as the Blues went on to win the Second Division, but Burnley remained in the lower league. This was the last time before WW2 that Everton travelled to Turf Moor.

Burnley won promotion in the first season of the Football League following the war and they also managed to reach Wembley for the first time in their history but lost to Charlton Athletic (0-1) in the FA Cup final. The following season (47/48) Burnley finished in third place in the top-flight. Theo Kelly’s Everton travelled to Cliff Britton’s Burnley in April 1948 and came away with the points thanks to a goal from Ephraim Dodds.
Everton: Sagar; Saunders, Hedley; Lindley, Jones, Farrell; Grant, Fielding, Dodds, Stevenson, Higgins.

In September 1948, Cliff Britton left Turf Moor to become manager of Everton and Burnley appointed Frank Hill as their manager. A month later, Everton travelled to Turf Moor but it was Theo Kelly who took charge of team affairs. The Toffees lost the game by a single goal scored by Burnley’s Wilson. Cliff Britton’s first game in charge of an Everton team was a home defeat by Derby County (0-1) on 16 October 1948.

When Cliff Britton eventually led out his Everton side at Turf Moor on 3 December 1949, Everton were struggling and were in the relegation places whilst Burnley were in 5th place in the table, unfortunately that difference was all too apparent as Harry Potts with a hat-trick and goals from Spencer and Hays gave Burnley a handsome victory over Everton (5-1), Eddie Wainwright scored Everton’s consolation goal.

Cliff Britton did get his revenge at Turf Moor but he had to wait until Everton regained their position in the top-flight some five years later when on 4 September 1954 goals by Tommy Eglington and John Willie Parker gave Everton the victory over Burnley (0-2) who were now managed by Alan Brown. Everton: O'Neill; Moore, Donovan; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Wainwright, Fielding, Hickson, Parker, Eglington.

Everton also won at Turf Moor (0-1) in August of the following season (1955-56) thanks to a converted penalty from TE Jones. In 1958, former Burnley player Harry Potts took over from Billy Dougall as the man in the hot-seat at Turf Moor, his first home encounter with Everton ended in defeat as a brace of goals from Eddie Thomas sealed the points for the visitors.
Everton: Dunlop; Saunders, Tansey; Rea, Jones, Meagan; Harris, Thomas, Hickson, Fielding, Harris.

Despite that defeat by Everton, this was the beginning of a successful era for the East Lancashire club as they challenged at the top end of the table for the next few years and actually won the title in the 1959-60 campaign. Burnley started that campaign brightly and they did the double over Everton in two meetings during August and September of 1959.

The first meeting took place on 25 August 1959 and Harry Potts’s team overwhelmed Johnny Carey’s Everton as the home side scored 5 times via John Connelly (2), Jimmy Robson, Ray Pointer and Brian Pilkington, Everton did manage to score twice through Eddie Thomas and an own goal by Brian Miller, but Burnley had given notice of their ambitions.

In the return game at Goodison a week later, Frank Wignall scored for the Toffees but two goals from Ray Pointer earned Burnley another two points in their quest for the title. Burnley sustained their challenge throughout the campaign and had matched reigning champions Wolves and fellow challengers Spurs throughout the season and despite a reverse at Wolves (6-1) late in the season and the fact that they had not managed to hit the top-spot during the campaign, they timed their run to perfection as they did so in the very last match of the season.

Needing a win to overtake Wolves, Burnley travelled to Maine Road Manchester to play a City team who were safe and had little to play for, but Burnley secured the required result thanks to goals by Brian Pilkington and Trevor Meredith to win the Division One title for the first time since 1920-21.

Johnny Carey’s final visit to Turf Moor as the manager of Everton saw his charges register a victory (1-3) as Brian Harris, Billy Bingham and Bobby Collins via the penalty spot, scored the goals that won the game; Roy Pointer was on target for the home side.
Everton: Dunlop; Parker, Thomson; Gabriel, Labone, Harris; Bingham, Collins, Wignall, Vernon, Temple.

Harry Catterick’s first trip to Turf Moor as manager of Everton, on 23 September 1961 ended in defeat as that man Ray Pointer scored twice with George Thomson getting a consolation in Everton’s defeat (2-1). Burnley reached Wembley at the end of that season via a triumph over Everton at Turf Moor.
Everton: Dunlop; Parker, Thomson; Gabriel, Labone, Harris; Bingham, Young, Wignall, Temple, Fell.

14,000 Evertonians made the short trip to East Lancashire and they cheered loudly as Bobby Collins put the Toffees into the lead. However, at the start of the second-half Burnley equalised through Brian Miller from some 25 yards out. After an hour Ray Pointer picked out John Connelly who left Albert Dunlop in the Everton goal helpless as the Clarets took the lead. Nine minutes later a Ray Pointer back-heel found Jimmy Robson and he steered it into the net to end Everton’s hopes of a first post-war Wembley appearance. The attendance of 50,514, swelled by those travelling Evertonians is the record attendance for a Burnley v Everton encounter at Turf Moor.
Everton: Dunlop; Parker, Green; Gabriel, Labone, Harris; Bingham, Collins, Young, Vernon, Lill.

Burnley did manage to go all the way to Wembley but they lost to Tottenham Hotspur (3-1) in the final and they also had to settle for a runners-up spot in Division One as Ipswich Town lifted the title.

Burnley welcomed Everton on the opening weekend of the 1962-63 season, hoping to improve on their previous season's exploits. When Ray Pointer opened the scoring after 10 minutes it looked to be another bad day at the office for the Toffees. But on 20 minutes Roy Vernon equalised and two second-half goals from Billy Bingham and Alex Young sealed the two points for the eventual Champions. Burnley ended the campaign in 3rd place behind Spurs and Everton.
Everton: West; Meagan, Thomson; Gabriel, Labone, Harris; Bingham, Stevens, Young, Vernon, Veall.

That victory over Burnley at Turf Moor started a good run of form for Everton at the venue as they lost just once in the next seven fixtures played there.

In January 1964 Everton’s first goal came just on the interval – a converted penalty by Alex Scott. In the second period Everton went further ahead when Jimmy Gabriel found the Burnley net. Johnny Morrissey it was who notched what transpired to be the winner as John Connelly had scored twice for the home team and the Evertonians once again left East Lancashire smiling due to their heroes victory (2-3). John Connelly scored 10 goals against Everton for Burnley and Manchester United.
Everton: Rankin; Brown, Meagan; Gabriel, Labone, Harris B, Scott; Stevens, Temple, Hill, Morrissey.

The following four games at Turf Moor between the two sides ended all square including a goalless draw in the FA Cup. The three League games drawn (1-1) saw rare goal-scorers for Everton as Sandy Brown – who netted on 10 occasions for the Toffees, and Brian Labone – with his second and final goal of his Everton career, got the Everton goals with a more recognised goalscorer Alan Ball converting a penalty in the draw with Burnley on the last day of the 1966-67 campaign.

Burnley broke Everton’s good run at Turf Moor with a victory (2-1) in December 1967, Willie Morgan gave Burnley the lead but Jimmy Husband quickly netted an equaliser for the visitors. In the second period Latcham scored the winner for the hosts.

In April 1969 Everton travelled to Turf Moor having had their Wembley dreams shattered by Man City at Villa Park, but intent on finishing the season in style. Everton scored two goals with Alan Ball and Jimmy Husband on the scoresheet and Ralph Coates scored for Burnley as the Toffees left the ground with both points in the narrow victory (1-2) Everton: West; Wright, Brown; Jackson, Labone, Harvey; Husband, Ball, Royle, Hurst, Morrissey

The second-half of the 1960s had seen a decline in fortunes for Harry Potts’ Burnley and he was replaced by another former Burnley star – Jimmy Adamson in February 1970. Jimmy Adamson’s first game against Everton as the Burnley manager at Turf Moor ended in defeat (1-2) in March 1970. Steve Kindon scored for the home side but goals from Alan Ball and John Hurst were enough to seal the points for the Blues, those two points helped Everton to stay in touch with their title rivals Leeds United who had dropped a valuable point in a goalless encounter with Liverpool at Anfield.
Everton: West; Wright, Newton; Kendall, Labone, Harvey; Whittle, Ball, Royle, Hurst, Morrissey

The 1970-71 campaign ended up as a disappointing one for both clubs as Everton were unable to reach the heights of the previous campaign and Burnley were struggling at the wrong end of the table when the sides met at Turf Moor in January 1971. Frank Casper opened the scoring to give the home team a half-time lead. Henry Newton opened his Everton account with a 20-yard strike to put the teams level and three minutes later David Johnson also got his first goal for the club on his Everton debut to put the Blues in front. Martin Dobson equalised for Burnley 11 minutes from time to ensure the home side got a share of the spoils from the draw (2-2). Burnley could not recover the necessary points from their remaining campaign and were relegated for the first time since the WW2 whilst a couple of months later, Everton lost out in the latter stages of the FA Cup and European Cup and had to settle for a lower-half finish in the league for the first time during Catterick’s tenure.
Everton: Rankin; Wright, Newton; Kendall, Labone, Harvey; Husband, Ball, Johnson, Hurst, Morrissey.

Upon their return to the top-flight after they won Division Two in 1972-73, Burnley were a side that appeared to be going places as many people believed that they had a squad and style that would propel Burnley to the upper echelons of the First Division; however, they had to settle for 10th spot as Martin Dobson left Turf Moor for the glamorous surroundings of Goodison Park.

But when the Burnley met Everton in the League game at Turf Moor on 26 March 1974, it was another of Everton’s big money signings who opened the scoring: Bob Latchford beat Colin Waldron to a header and he powered the ball past Burnley keeper Alan Stevenson. Eight minutes later, Everton had a golden opportunity to double their lead, but Mick Bernard had his penalty saved by Stevenson to keep the home side in the match.

Burnley hadn’t won a League game in 1974 and at half-time it had looked unlikely that they would break that duck, however, three goals in three dramatic minutes turned the game on its head. Doug Collins delivered a free-kick into the Everton area and Colin Waldron headed home the equaliser. Two minutes later Ray Hankin knocked on a Collins corner and Geoff Nulty was on hand to put Burnley in front, then almost immediately Leighton James jinked his way past three Everton defenders and unleashed a shot from 15 yards that beat David Lawson in the Everton goal to give the home team their first League win of 1974. Despite their poor League form in 1974, Burnley managed to make their way to the semi-final of the FA Cup, but they lost to Newcastle United and thus failed to make it to Wembley.
Everton: Lawson; Darracott, Seargent; Hurst, Kenyon, Clements; Bernard, Buckley, Latchford, Lyons, Connolly.

Two draws (1-1) between the two teams firstly in October 1974 when Gary Jones gave Everton the lead but Ray Hankin scored the equaliser and secondly in August 1975 when David Smallman was on target for Everton and Ray Hankin scored Burnley’s goal. Those results meant that Everton hadn’t won at Turf Moor since that victory during the title-winning season of 1969-70 and that record continues to this day as Everton lost (1-0) at the venue on their most recent visit at the start of the 2009-10 campaign. That victory over Everton was a rare victory in the top-flight for Burnley as the East Lancashire club were relegated at the end of the season. Due to their victory over Roberto Martinez’s former club Wigan Athletic, Burnley regained their place in the top-flight.

The Last Time: 23 August 2009 as reported on the BBC website, by Chris Bevan:

The Toffees are left without a point to show for their first two Premier League matches and their boss David Moyes has much to ponder before the transfer window slams shut in nine days' time.

True, this was nothing like as painful an experience as Everton's opening-day humiliation at the hands of Arsenal but it still exposed the limitations in their current line-up.

The departure of want-away defender Joleon Lescott to Manchester City cannot happen soon enough for Moyes - to end the disruption caused by such a prolonged transfer saga and, just as importantly, allow him to spend the proceeds on improving his squad.

Everton are short of numbers in defence, where Neville again had to fill in at centre-back, but they are also short of ideas going forward and lone striker Louis Saha had only scraps to feed on up front at Turf Moor.

Burnley, in contrast, were full of confidence after beating the Premier League champions five days ago and they could have taken the lead inside the first minute.

McCann crossed from the left and Paterson headed against the bar before Steven Fletcher, who was following up, forced Tim Howard into a low save.

The Everton defence looked uncomfortable in the early stages and they were soon exposed again when Elliott made space for a cross from the right and Paterson headed wide when he should really have found the target.

And, while the visitors eventually managed to plug those gaps at the back, they took a great deal longer to threaten at the other end.

Everton's first meaningful effort came after 30 minutes and saw Jack Rodwell head Leighton Baines's corner straight at Brian Jensen.

Seconds later, Tony Hibbert's low cross was just too strong for Saha at the back post but, having just had their best spell of the match, Everton found themselves behind.

After a dangerous Robbie Blake cross had fizzed across the face of goal, Steven Fletcher teed up Elliott, who composed himself before coolly curling the ball into the corner of the net, aided by a touch from Neville's boot.

Everton did come out with more purpose after the break, no doubt fired up by angry words from Moyes.

But Burnley were still playing the neater football and went close to extending their lead when the quick-thinking McCann saw his attempted lob tipped over by Howard after the ball broke to him in the box.

The Toffees responded by piling on the pressure and they should have equalised when Phil Dowd awarded them a disputed penalty with 15 minutes left.

Hibbert burst into the box and went to ground even though Chris McCann had pulled out of the tackle and made minimal, if any, contact.

Dowd was convinced it was a foul, however, but it made no difference to the final outcome as Saha sent the ball wide of Jensen's left-hand post.

The Danish goalkeeper had been one of the heroes of Wednesday's win over Manchester United, saving Michael Carrick's spot-kick, but he was not called upon to make another stop in the closing stages on this occasion.

Saha almost made amends for his penalty miss by drilling a rasping 30-yard shot inches wide but, despite Everton's late dominance, Burnley were able to hang on for the points.

Burnley boss Owen Coyle: "It is another three points but that is all it is."We've had a great week but that is all it has been. There is so much more ahead of us, so much hard work. "I felt over the course of the game we were the better team. I don't think they cut us open too often."

Everton boss David Moyes: "Burnley were the better side in the opening 25 minutes. I think, with the confidence they gained from the game in midweek, we expected that. "But after that I thought we got back into it and were a bit unfortunate not to get something out of it."

Lineups, Bookings (1) & Substitutions (4)


12 Jensen
02 Alexander
05 Carlisle
14 Mears
21 Bikey
23 Jordan
11 Elliott [yellow card]
16 McCann
09 Fletcher (Thompson 86)
10 Paterson (Eagles 79)
20 Blake (Guerrero 84)

01 Penny,
03 Kalvenes,
07 McDonald,
08 Gudjonsson,
32 Guerrero,
33 Eagles,
30 Thompson


24 Howard
02 Hibbert
03 Baines
04 Yobo
18 Neville
17 Cahill
20 Pienaar
21 Osman
25 Fellaini (Jo 65)
26 Rodwell
08 Saha

01 Nash,
34 Duffy,
19 Gosling,
38 Wallace,
11 Jo,
14 Vaughan,
37 Baxter

Att: 19,983

Ref: Phil Dowd

Burnley versus Everton
49 14 14 21 62 82

Share article:

Reader Comments (3)

Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer

Steve Carse
1 Posted 25/10/2014 at 19:38:34
A fantastic read for those, like me, with lots of spare time on their hands. I love recalling all the old names I'd watched in my youth. In the case of Burnley, a reminder too of just how much more open and competitive the league used to be, with clubs by and large being able to keep their key players.
Ray Atherton
2 Posted 28/10/2014 at 16:09:27
Patrick, you have done it again, make me walk down Memory Lane.

I would like to go back to 1960 when we played Burnley on a Boxing day at Turf Moor. As you mentioned in your column, the clarets had won the championship in 1959-60. The Blues triumphed 3-1 and the return match at Goodison the next day was a comedown, as we lost 3-0.

The attendance for Goodison that day 27 December 1960 was a staggering near-75,000. I was a Gladwys Street ender then. A lot of children were passed down over heads and were seated around the track.

Thank you, Patrick, I always look forward to your well-written column.

Dick Fearon
3 Posted 29/10/2014 at 07:46:52
In the 60s, my final trip to Burnley was not a pleasant experience. It was a few weeks after the RS had been there; true to form, the gobshites caused all kinds of mayhem at the ground and in the town centre.

On our visit, I was amazed at the huge number of police at the ground. The gobshites antics had so shocked the residents of that normally quiet town the local police plus reinforcements from all parts of Lancashire were on full alert for another visit of 'scouse thugs,'

A huge police van was parked outside the Everton end and at the games end anyone displaying Everton colours was hauled into it and received a good going over. Word quickly spread and there was much hiding of all signs of club allegiance.

Having safely negotiated our way past the van thinking we were safe we proudly donned our blue and white regalia. That was our biggest mistake for around the next corner was a phalanx of the scuffers with batons already drawn and eager to to make use of them.

Around the same period, we had the misfortune of playing Man City at Maine Road and once again at police hands suffered the consequences a recent gobshite performance.

Add Your Comments

In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.

» Log in now

Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.

About these ads

© Patrick Murphy. All rights reserved.