Season › 2014-15 › News
Everton insist “nothing imminent” regarding Eto'o

The Cameroonian's move back to Serie A appeared to be close to completion after he struck an agreement with the Italian club last week. Comments by his agent, Claudio Vigorelli, last week and from both Sampdoria's director of sport, Carlo Osti, and president, Massimo Ferrero, over the weekend served to confirm that the formality of a medical was the last step in concluding a deal involving a nominal £1m fee to Everton.
Everton appear to be blocking the transfer, however, perhaps because Martinez is hopeful of persuading the veteran striker to stay or because he is looking to have a replacement lined up before he will sanction the move.
Vigorelli told Italian media that his client "[has] chosen Genoa and he's really motivated. In the last few hours, an offer arrived from Santos, which was greater from a financial viewpoint, but he isn't interested in it."
Osti told Telenord, meanwhile, that “Eto'o should be in Genoa on Tuesday,” where he was expected to undergo a medical.
Ferrero meanwhile told reporters that, “Eto'o will arrive and he will score many goals. The Everton President will soon give us the all-clear.”
That consent has thus far not been forthcoming from Bill Kenwright and Eto'o remains a Blues player even if he is not in the line-up at the moment. The 33 year-old was seen at Goodison Park for last night's draw with West Bromwich Albion but is not playing while there is interest in his services from other clubs.
"The Samuel Eto'o situation is something that we're going to make sure that the next two weeks is a period of reflection and see what's the next move in that respect," Martinez told evertonfc.com. "[By the end of the window] we'll find out one way or another if Samuel is part of Everton going forward or not and we'll announce it [if there's anything to say]."
Ferrero remains hopeful, though, telling Rai Sport: "We are working hard [on the deal] and I am in close contact with the [Everton] coach.”
Reader Comments (19)
Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer
2 Posted 20/01/2015 at 19:34:54
3 Posted 20/01/2015 at 19:33:51
Unless a player is moving imminently (ie 48 hours or so), he should be in the squad if fit to play.
At this rate we will pay Eto'o for the whole month of January while he twidles his thumbs.
Crazy behaviour by our club
4 Posted 20/01/2015 at 20:45:08
5 Posted 20/01/2015 at 20:58:39
6 Posted 20/01/2015 at 21:22:49
7 Posted 20/01/2015 at 21:29:50
8 Posted 20/01/2015 at 21:36:58
9 Posted 21/01/2015 at 08:55:31
10 Posted 21/01/2015 at 08:55:31
11 Posted 21/01/2015 at 09:38:04
12 Posted 21/01/2015 at 09:54:25
13 Posted 21/01/2015 at 10:42:45
14 Posted 21/01/2015 at 11:58:42
15 Posted 21/01/2015 at 12:17:00
Meanwhile, we continue to pay his wages and he isnÂt available to play. Amateur hour open 24/7 at Goodison.
16 Posted 21/01/2015 at 13:35:05
17 Posted 21/01/2015 at 13:40:49
18 Posted 21/01/2015 at 15:42:14
What is the point of having 3 left backs in the club when we have only had 2 wingers in the squad for nearly all the season?? I hope his statement about going with what we've got is designed at putting a bit of pressure on these money pinching idiots above him.
19 Posted 21/01/2015 at 16:45:26
Add Your Comments
In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.
Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.


1 Posted 20/01/2015 at 19:25:19
We have a player all packed ready to go and I'm guessing if we pull the plug at the very last minute we are going to have one angry man on our hands.