21comments  |  Jump to last
Share:
This article may have been recategorised and is therefore no longer available at this URL.

You can try to find the updated link in the article archive.

Reader Comments (21)

Jim Harrison
1 Posted 10/06/2019 at 08:06:27
I know it makes no difference really but, for me, the captain should be centre-back or central midfield. A commanding presence in the middle.
Dermot Byrne
2 Posted 10/06/2019 at 08:27:31
Really like the guy but sometimes thought he was a bit too "nice" for a captain in modern game.
Peter Warren
3 Posted 10/06/2019 at 12:55:43
I agree with Jim, always preferred either a centre-half or central midfielder as captain. That said, I thought Neville, who I found very limited as a player, a very good captain for us so I guess horses for courses.

In our set-up, the only starter presently who can be considered captain material is Seamus. Bit worrying and I agree with the author's view that captains are needed for our team.

Derek Knox
4 Posted 10/06/2019 at 13:15:07
Agree with previous posts, ideally the Captain should be either CB or Centre Midfield. While Jags has been a great and loyal servant to the Club, as Dermot mentioned I don't recall Jags shouting and being vociferous enough to satisfy that criteria.

Seamus is vociferous and a good Captain, but how much longer will he be able to play for realistically? Unless he is Superhuman he is not likely to get any quicker either going forward or getting back to cover.

The other aspect to Seamus being on the extreme right, how does he make himself heard to a player on the opposite flank and further forward?

Fran Mitchell
5 Posted 10/06/2019 at 13:58:35
What is the captain's role, in reality? A 'leader' on the pitch? A 'role-model'? A 'figure-head' to pass on instructions? A 'motivator'?

Or is it nothing more than a symbolic status given to a player, and to facilitate in-game management – the referee talks to the captain.

Not sure, but the general idea I agree with – that we lack those players with a certain steel and drive that motivates a team to keep on going.

In some years, a certain Tom Davies could develop into that player. Whilst both Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison also have shown at times that aggression – whilst at other times it has been lacking. Gueye and Sigurdsson, however, are the two players we have who I feel 'lead by example'; losing any one of those and our team has significantly less spark.

I hope Gomes develops into the player I think he can be. He's much more than skills and nice passing, but he's a 6'-1", strong and powerful player with both technique and brawn hope he can become a real box-to-box midfield powerhouse for us.

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
6 Posted 10/06/2019 at 14:47:34
Fran,

"soark" ???

Si Smith
9 Posted 10/06/2019 at 15:57:33
Niasse ! 😁
Andy Crooks
10 Posted 10/06/2019 at 17:29:04
A fine player and by all accounts a top man.

He earned a lot of money from our club so I think we should not refer to him as a fine servant. Footballers stopped being servants many years ago. We are polluted by hired hands. I think Jags "got it"; sadly we have thieves who do not and never did.

Kevin Prytherch
11 Posted 10/06/2019 at 22:26:11
In all fairness to Koeman, I think that he identified the lack of leaders in the side when he signed Ajax's captain, Swansea's and Wales captain, Iceland's captain and England's captain, as well as already having Ireland's captain as well as Baines and Jagielka.

The result - a team utterly devoid of leaders!!!

Jim Harrison
12 Posted 11/06/2019 at 06:11:42
Kevin 11,

Perhaps too many strong voices? Too many cooks scenario?

Regarding Fran 5 comment, how important is the role? Looking at the title Champions League winning or coming close teams if the past 20 years (from UK at least) the real stand-out ones, they seem to have pretty influential captains. Keane, Viera, Adams, Kompany, Gerrard, Terry. All at the peak of their careers.

Maybe the key is just having the best players!!

Jeff Spiers
13 Posted 11/06/2019 at 11:05:34
What's with the Kopites clapping in that photo???
Darren Hind
14 Posted 11/06/2019 at 21:05:01
They were in mid-song Jeff.
Jeff Spiers
15 Posted 12/06/2019 at 06:39:29
Darren, it wasn't we're gonna win the league? Surely not.

Bobby Thomas
16 Posted 12/06/2019 at 14:01:41
Baines and Jags are choirboys. There's been a leadership or mentality problem for a long, long time. The away form, which has been shocking for years, tells you that. As did the Millwall and Newcastle aways last season.

Hopefully out of all the new signings and youth leaders with stronger mentalities will emerge. Pickford, for example, is a mad, cocky, arrogant nark. He does fancy himself a little too much but that will balance out as he matures. Richarlison is quiet but very strong mentally, you can just tell. He's only 22, in his second season over here, fresh off a move and progressing very nicely. I've got my doubts about Mina as a centre back but he's a big character. Conversely, Keane just seems like more of a quieter, nicey nicey Jags/Baines type.

Its always the spine of the team where you need it. Centre mid and an inspirational talisman up top that people can feed off would go a long way to boosting the teams mentality. However the latter tends to cost.

Kieran Kinsella
17 Posted 12/06/2019 at 14:26:26
Bobby Thomas 16

Aled Jones was a choir boy and he is a leader as he leads services on Songs of Praise. Bradley Cooper was a choir boy and he led his mates through three hangovers and is "Limitless"

Tommy Carter
18 Posted 12/06/2019 at 16:08:47
@16 Bobby

Bob I agree with much of what you say. Jags was a very fine servant to this football club and an excellent player. As a leader though, he led us by example and inspired us to be as good as we could be.

Was he the kind of captain that drags an extra 10% from the team, no. But there aren’t many of those about.

I do fee collectively we are too nice. We know our place, the people’s club sounds very welcoming and we often are. We do need strong characters, some characters who are testing often have a common characteristic. They are often at a big club that is challenging to win things.

I agree that Mina has the potential to be a big personality and character. He just needs to settle into the English game and I think we could see his development increase.

We need more of this type

Tommy Carter
19 Posted 12/06/2019 at 16:08:49
@16 Bobby

We need more of this type

Tommy Carter
20 Posted 12/06/2019 at 16:08:51
@16 Bobby

We need more of this type

Roman Sidey
21 Posted 26/06/2019 at 20:19:55
Jags wasn't a good leader. Not by a long shot. He accepted far too much mediocrity, never let the refs know we were on the field, and stared at the ground when being interviewed after matches. He was a very good centre-back in his 20s, but he rarely showed the same class after his knee injury in 2009.

It ticked me off a fair bit when, in 2016, he missed out on selection for the Euros and he said he had to go home and take out his frustration on some drywall with a sledgehammer. How many times did he take out any frustration on his opponents during matches?

Dave Abrahams
22 Posted 04/07/2019 at 18:00:13
He’s gone back to Sheffield United on a twelve month contract according to The Daily Mail today.
Jay Harris
23 Posted 04/07/2019 at 18:14:28
Good luck to the man. He was a true pro and extremely loyal and dedicated to the club unlike the likes of Lukaku and Pogba.