FAN ARTICLES

January shopping!

By Chris Sillett :  07/12/2010 :  Comments (64) :
As the January transfer window looms closer it's becoming time for Mr Moyes and Mr Kenwright to get their thinking caps on and cheque books ready, but who will our manager be asking or begging our tight fisted chairman for?

Given our paltry spending during the summer, it looks as if we will be scouring the loan market of Europe once again, but if you look closer to home it will become apparent that it won't need a billionaire owner for Everton to pick up some exciting players that could change us from a team maybe ending up in mid-table obscurity to possibly earning a place in Europe again and having an exciting cup run.

So let's have a look at some people who I feel could benefit us greatly and hopefully wouldn't have Bill Kenwright breaking out in cold sweats at night!

Shay Given (Man City) ? One of the best goalkeeper's in Europe, wants to leave his club for regular first team football and may be available for loan. Tim Howard's form this season has been worrying and he has cost us a few points due to his mistakes, A goalkeeper is not a priority but keepers of Given's quality don't become available very often.

Shaun Wright-Phillips (Man City) ? He could be the answer to our right side of midfield problems. He has pace, is a good dribbler and scores goals. Again, he is available and I think Man City will be happy for him to leave.

Roque Santa Cruz (Man City) ? Don't worry, I'm not trying to turn us into Man City reserves! I think Santa Cruz is a good centre forward but has been totally frozen out by Roberto Mancini. Mark Hughes is no mug and it took him £18 million to sign him from Blackburn where he scored 23 goals in the 2007-08 season,

Robbie Keane (Spurs) ? Flopped at Liverpool but everyone knows he is a quality player and Moyes has wanted him in the past. Would add some much needed pace and intelligence to our forward line.

Stephen Ireland (Aston Villa) ? A superb player on his day, I was surprised Man City got rid of him but he hasn't had the best of times at Villa and I'm not sure Gerard Houllier fancies him. He would probably be glad for a fresh start somewhere else.

Niko Kranjcar (Spurs) ? Someone we have been linked with in the past few days and maybe we could do a swap deal for him involving Steven Pienaar? It would make sense for all parties if Pienaar isn't staying.

Obviously we can't sign all of these players and I am sure Moyes has drawn up his own shortlist but I think even just a couple of new addition's could give everyone a lift and change our season. Now, where's Bill's cheque book?!

Reader Comments

Ian Bennett
1   Posted 07/12/2010 at 20:27:33

Given the performances this season, I would like to see a lot moved on... but that isn't going to happen on that scale.

On form, you'd look at the big Swede from Bolton for a nominal fee or free transfer in the summer and dump one of those many mis-firing forwards.

I can see us going in for Hammill or the lad from Tranmere for a cheap squad option, plus Donovan on loan.

i hope we don't go in for Steven Taylor if Heitinga does go as he is awful. I don't think we'd go in for any of the above as the wages would be a problem. Moyes tends to buy abroad also ? the winger from PSV?
Leon Perrin
2   Posted 07/12/2010 at 20:29:30

Chris,

It's a good attempt, mate, and all those you list would add something but we know what's going to happen in January, don't we? Two words... the second is "all".
Miles Wilson
3   Posted 07/12/2010 at 20:33:19

Sorry mate, I agree with the sentiments but not your choices.

Given: we have two international keepers on good wages. Given is a good player but, to bring him in, one of Howard or Mucha would have to leave.

SWP: low on confidence but would still break our budget. I think his time has gone and his delivery has been awful for ages.
Santa Cruz: do we really need another injury-prone striker? The guy hardly plays.

Keane: a possibility but again he think he is past his peak. Loan or a free, yes.
Ireland: we are overloaded with central midfielders. Was good for City, I agree... but we need balance in the side and he is not the answer.

Kranjcar: now you are talking... I think he is far too good to be in Spurs Reserves. Makeweight in the Pienaar deal? I would like him at Goodison.

All I want for Xmas is Landon back...

Brian Waring
4   Posted 07/12/2010 at 20:35:21

Wright-Phillips, Santa Cruz, Stephen Ireland and even Given will be on big wages, wages we couldn't afford to pay, even if we got any of them in on loan.

It was mentioned on here the other day, that we wouldn't be able to go in for Kranjcar, because we haven't got the £3M it would take to get him; the players you mention would be going up for sale for a lot more than £3M.

At the end of the day, we haven't got a pot to piss in mate.
Paul Maguire
5   Posted 07/12/2010 at 20:51:15

Manny Fernandes ? offered to Besiktas for ?2.5M?
Brian Waring
6   Posted 07/12/2010 at 20:57:28

Paul, ?2.5M is more than we have got, by the looks of it.
David Thomas
7   Posted 07/12/2010 at 21:00:00

Chris,

I personally would not want to see us go after any of those outfield players. None of them in my opinion are any better than what we have already. In my opinion, SWP is one of the most overrated players ever. His final ball always seems to be the wrong choice.

Shay Given is a good keeper but we would never be able to afford his wages. I know it is easier said than done but I think, if we could just get one of our strikers back to top form, we will rise up that table fairly quickly.

Martin Faulkner
8   Posted 07/12/2010 at 21:02:23

As Brian already states, all of the Shitty players will be on contracts way beyond our means, Ireland too for that matter and he's a knob to boot.

We should ask old Arry at Spurs if he'll do a Chris Kringle for Kranjcar and Pienaar. Go back and ask West Ham if they want the Yak for £2.5M and see if anyone will take Saha off our wage bill for free.

Beg Donovan to go another loan and get Manny Fernandes back. Oh yeah, flog Johnny and Yobo as well and buy a striker that knows where the net is.

Jonny Roberts
9   Posted 07/12/2010 at 21:35:46

Sell Bily & Heitinga, and use some of that cash to get Adam Johnson from Citeh. It seems like Mancini doesnt rate him, so it may be worth a punt.

Sadly, though, I think we are in for a January of false hope, when ultimately we will have nobody new to show for our 'efforts'.

Landon would be a bonus if he decides that he is up for another off-season of Premier League footy!!!
Denis Richardson
10   Posted 07/12/2010 at 21:27:22

I still think Landon Donovan may be coming back, we will find out in a week or two anyway. It would be great but only a very short term solution, given it would only be for 2-3 months.

Kranjcar would be a great signing, not an out-and-out winger but can play on the left, right or in the middle. Also, at 26, he still has a lot to offer.

If Pienaar really wants to leave, I would thank him for his hard work and trade for Kranjcar. The guy's got bags of skill, more so than Pienaar, IMO.

I just hope DM does something!
Simon Temme
11   Posted 07/12/2010 at 22:43:51

Chris, while your intentions are honourable I think we all know we have to sell to buy. Given the (new) Everton way of protracting transfers, it wouldn't suprise me if we get rid of Pienaar & Heitinga, ringfence the cash and have Donovan as the only replacement.
Dennis Stevens
12   Posted 07/12/2010 at 23:12:02

The only shopping we'll be doing in January is window-shopping!
Jamie Sweet
13   Posted 07/12/2010 at 23:02:05

Failure to do anything pro-active about our severe lack of goals from our strikers would be criminal. If it means offloading a few squad players to try and bring in one player who knows how to find the back of the net then so be it.

It is a real problem. It needs sorting and it needs sorting in January!

If nothing is done, then in Moyes I shall no longer trust.
Sam Hoare
14   Posted 07/12/2010 at 23:41:27

Kranjcar is the only one there I'd want. And apparently at £3M he's out of our price range... how feckin depressing.

I reckon Landon will be the only incoming and if he's not up for it, Moyes may break the bank to land Hammill or some other Championship winger for £1.5M.

My (relatively realistic) dream team for January (with Cahill away) is:

Howard
Coleman Jags Distin Baines
Donovan Rodwell Fellaini Kranjcar
Arteta
Beckford

Reckon if Becks can find his shooting boots then that would be a pretty tasty line-up, with Arteta, Rodwell and Fellaini rotating in the support striker role as needed.
Graham Nolan
15   Posted 08/12/2010 at 00:32:00

Rather than spend what little money we do have on new signings I would like to see it spent on a improved contract for Pienaar who has been consistently one of our better performers this season. He is obviously holding out for more wedge & parity with Arteta (who has been muck this season) so give it to him.

The rest of the money should be spent on hiring Johnny Wilkinson or Dan Carter to give the rest of the squad an almighty kick up the arse!!!
Ste Traverse
16   Posted 08/12/2010 at 01:05:45

Pointless thread really. We all know we don't have a penny to spend so it's a waste of time disscussing potential player acquisitions.

Also, I'm fucking bored of hearing blues banging on and on and on about Donovan. Yes, he did well during his loan spell but you'd think he was Maradona the way some talk about him.
Jay Harris
17   Posted 08/12/2010 at 01:38:56

With you here Ste.

I'd much rather get rid of one or two and scrape all our pennies to get Adam Johnson or another top quality player.

We've seen enough of journeymen average players.

Still don't know who'll cover for Cahil in Jan though!!
Michael Coville
18   Posted 08/12/2010 at 02:01:28

Jay, I'm available on a free and my weekly wage requirements are low. Just a bottle of aspirin and free tickets for my son and six grandchildren is all I need. At 70, I am in good shape and would be willing to add a few more miles to my daily walk if called on.
Jamie Crowley
19   Posted 08/12/2010 at 02:20:59

Bily Jay - Bily needs to cover for Cahill.

Play him in his preferred, proper position and see how he does. If he lays an egg, off-load him in the summer.

Play a guy in his proper position and weigh the result? What an ingenious idea! How come we never do that? Hmmmm......

Ditch Heitinga as well. Dump Saha. Use those funds to find a striker. Then shoot up the table.
Jamie Sweet
20   Posted 08/12/2010 at 02:51:29

Michael (#18) ? If you covered a few miles, you'd put Saha to shame! If you can also add the ability to hit a cow's arse with a banjo to your CV, then I look forward to seeing you up front against Wigan!
Jason Lam
21   Posted 08/12/2010 at 04:03:16

I say play Rodwell up front. Fella and Arteta in holding mid. COYB
Tony Cheek
22   Posted 08/12/2010 at 05:30:16

Norwegian international Erik Huseklepp would be first on my list. Norwegians don't cost that much when bought from Norwegian clubs. He is definitely worth putting £1,5 million on the tabje for... tell DM!!!
Matt Thomas
23   Posted 08/12/2010 at 08:13:37

Personally I think it's time Moyes put the gun to Kenwright's head and demanded money for players or threaten to leave; enough of this pandering to Kenwrights lack of financial imput, it may be the only way to force the board's hand.
Brian Waring
24   Posted 08/12/2010 at 09:03:13

Matt, not being funny, but why would Moyes want to leave? He is one of the best paid managers in the Prem. He has the safest jobs in football, no matter how we perform, because we have a chairman who doesn't give two fucks.
Matt Thomas
25   Posted 08/12/2010 at 09:18:37

Brian, it's not a question of Moyes wanting to leave it's whether he feels he's gone as far as he can on limited resources. After all, it's very easy for Kenwright to hide behind the no funding policy knowing Moyes is happy to go along with it. Kenwright doesn't feel threatened in his safe environment.
Trevor Lynes
26   Posted 08/12/2010 at 09:30:42

Its a pointless thread... Pienaar can be had free so why would anyone do a deal for him? The next Christmas show will be a Christmas Carol with BK as Scrooge, DM as Bob Cratchit and our own Tiny Tim...
Gavin Ramejkis
27   Posted 08/12/2010 at 09:47:32

Kenwright has no money as Green didn't get his toyshop and closed the chequebook so expect fuck all in January ? or maybe a "we tried" but lost out to someone who actually had cash and not two tickets to Blood Brothers and empty promises.
Tom Winek
28   Posted 08/12/2010 at 09:49:17

If SWP comes, I'll cry.
Laurie Hartley
29   Posted 08/12/2010 at 09:55:16

If there is any money, I would spend it on renewing Pienaar's and Baines's contracts. Baines + Pienaar = 3 players.
Chris Perry
30   Posted 08/12/2010 at 10:09:16

"Roque Santa Cruz (Man City) ? Don't worry, I'm not trying to turn us into Man City reserves! I think Santa Cruz is a good centre forward but has been totally frozen out by Roberto Mancini. Mark Hughes is no mug and it took him £18 million to sign him from Blackburn where he scored 23 goals in the 2007-08 season"

Mark Hughes no mug!!!!!!!! ? Jo £18 million; Lescott £24 million... doh doh doh

I dont want any of them ?they would not improve our team, just rape it of money.
Eric Myles
31   Posted 08/12/2010 at 10:21:32

Won't Osman be recovered from injury by January?

He'll be like having a new signing!
Ciarán McGlone
32   Posted 08/12/2010 at 10:41:53

Haha... is this a wind up.

The chance of us spending any money is zero.
Marc Williams
33   Posted 08/12/2010 at 10:30:09

Chris - I don't understand the premise of this post. Don't you actually need money to go out & buy players?

Let's take two examples of players you've named ; SWP & Kranjcar. Both would cost a minimum of about £3M each & the club was quoted this week as not being able to afford that price tag for a player.

Secondly wages: SWP's father was quoted in the summer as saying City's £70k a week offer to his son was derisory & they felt 'Mugged off' by it. I doubt we'd offer anywhere near that.

Your best bet for January is to cross your fingers in the hope that Bill doesn't cash in on Rodwell, just to keep the Goodison lights on!

Marc Williams
34   Posted 08/12/2010 at 10:48:20

Matt, Have you not noticed that, since signing his last long & lucrative contract, Moyes doesn't moan about lack of funds but just accepts it and gets on with it.

I guess £65,000 per week is quite an incentive to keep your mouth shut!
Sam Hoare
35   Posted 08/12/2010 at 10:58:03

How about Sergio Canales? Available on loan (apparently), young player so probably affordable wages and I reckon he's gonna be a great player one day.
KPR Williams
36   Posted 08/12/2010 at 11:11:44

65k a week to stop moaning!!!

Imagine the wage bill in here?
David Holroyd
37   Posted 08/12/2010 at 11:27:15

Sell Heitinga and Yak buy Johnson but I bet we won't spend a penny.
Chris Sillett
38   Posted 08/12/2010 at 11:52:34

Marc #32. I don't know if you are aware, but you can loan 2 players from other Premier League clubs. So that could possibly be Kranjcar and Santa Cruz joining for no transfer fee.

We would have to cover the wages but surely to god after spending £1 million in the summer we can afford somebody's wages for a few months? If not, then we are well and truly screwed!

Gavin Ramejkis
39   Posted 08/12/2010 at 12:29:26

Chris (#37), has the penny not dropped yet? We are broke, potless, poor as a church mouse, Black Bill's couch has well and truly been scraped inside and out... If we could unload some of the dross off the wage bill, like Saha, I worry it will disappear into paying bills and not back into the squad.
Norman Merrill
40   Posted 08/12/2010 at 12:31:39

Jamie Crowley (#19).

How true. When you say play Bily in his proper position, and see how he shapes up, and that does not just refer to him. There is one or two who have been played like that, what next? Howard up front?
David McKitt
41   Posted 08/12/2010 at 12:54:23

Maybe we will have the billions after all... when the Qatar Royal Family takes over!
Matt Thomas
42   Posted 08/12/2010 at 13:09:05

Marc (#33)
That's exactly the point I was trying to make, has Moyes got the bottle to stand up to Billy Liar and try and force the issue, or is he the spineless asshole we know him as!
Ted Smeethes
43   Posted 08/12/2010 at 12:59:39

David, (40) the Qatar Royal Family would spend 5 minutes in Newcastle and Liverpool, realise what total dumps both cities are, and buy a London Championship club before they even think about us.
Ajay Timothy
44   Posted 08/12/2010 at 13:10:55

Not sure if Mark Hughes is that great a judge of talent. Look how much he spent on Jo and Lescott ? £42 million was it?
Glen Anderson
45   Posted 08/12/2010 at 13:32:39

I agree with the sentiment but I think we're looking in the wrong pond. Moyes will be forced to do his shopping at Primark (Championship), not Marks & Spencer (decent Premier League players).

None of the players mentioned are:

A) On low enough wages
B) Within Moyes's ideal age group (younger than 27 years old)
B) 100% necessary (I would suggest in Moyes's opinion).

I would rather see him go and get Adam Hammill who is a Liverpool born (and unfortunately supporting) young winger (either side although not sure if two-footed) who is doing very well in the Championship for Barnsley.

Just one young, decent attacking player like that would bring a smile to my face.
Marc Williams
46   Posted 08/12/2010 at 13:20:01

Chris (37#) ? I think Spurs have said they want a straight sale of Kranjcar for £3M but he was injured in the CL game last night & Moyes has form for taking croc's on loan, so you never know!

Whilst I admire your optimistic hopefulness ? "Surely to god after spending only £1 million we can afford someones wages?" ? I suspect any spare pennies we had went on the long term contracts signed & meeting any revenue shortfalls due to the recession & our poor form. I'm so pissed off this season that I've not been to Goodison since August & the number of mailshots, calls & emails from ticketing suggest they are struggling badly to sell some games.

Matt (42#) ? Yes, when he signed on the dotted line, he accepted the Kenwright agenda, but I guess we all would for that money. Those two are made for each other like 'Peaches & Cream' ... or 'Flies & Shit'!

Chris Perry
47   Posted 08/12/2010 at 13:41:30

Unless clubs accept packets of polo or out-of-date bottles of Chang, we won't be seeing any comings to the club.

Moyes clearly lacks ambition ? who can blame him, sitting comfortably on his useless fat arse collecting £65k every week?

Why oh why would we want Beckham or Donovan!!!!!! These are over-the-hill players.

Moyes is clueless, Round is Moyes's lapdog or puppet... and Beckford is not and will not be the answer to our goal drowt.
Ste Traverse
48   Posted 08/12/2010 at 13:44:19

It's a farce that a club of our size can't afford a paltry £3M for a much needed right midfield player in Kranjcar.

The club once known as the Bank of England club is now the Bankrupt of England club. Thanks, Mr Kenwright.

Isn't it time Moyes stopped pandering to this useless gobshite?
Jay Harris
49   Posted 08/12/2010 at 13:52:12

Here's a link that provides some interesting options including a couple of Belgians that might make Felli feel more at home:

Kunal Desai
50   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:30:34

What is the point of having this thread? Evertonians should be used to it now. Roll on 1 Feb 2011.
Michael Coville
51   Posted 08/12/2010 at 15:27:25

I don't believe for one moment that the Qatar Royal Family would take over either Everton or Newcastle. However, Spurs would be a much more realistic scenario. Now I believe Bill's great friend Green has a stake in Spurs. If so, maybe he would get a pay day and decide to help out his friend Bill. Wishful thinking I know but it is freezing up here in Connecticut and I have time on my hands.
Chris Sillett
52   Posted 08/12/2010 at 15:50:14

Ajay (#44). Mark Hughes didn't sign Jo, it was Sven Goran Erikkson, he just joined the club after Erikkson was sacked. :-)
Sam Morrison
53   Posted 08/12/2010 at 16:34:52

Laurie (#29) - are they having a baby?
Tony J Williams
54   Posted 08/12/2010 at 16:54:07

Ste, how is accepting that we haven't a pot to piss in pandering to Bill? He could shout at or slate him as much as he wanted to but it still doesn't mean that the money would magically appear in the bank.

Moan about lack of money, why? He knows the score after 9 years. (The £65k probably does help mind you!)
Matt Bone
55   Posted 08/12/2010 at 20:37:20

@ Paul Maguire (5): Now there's a blast from the past. I saw earlier in the week that Manny had been farmed out on loan and the Turks had an option on him (although I read ?7.5M) and thought now there is a player we could do with. He can play the Arteta role bettter than Arteta (at the moment) but didn't bother posting as we've been there, done that, so many times in the past. I for one think he would have turned us into a Champions League team had we concluded the purchase a couple of seasons ago. Pure class.
James Stewart
56   Posted 08/12/2010 at 20:40:28

Nice idea... but pointless.

There will be a couple of players out but I very much doubt a single arrival! Best we can hope for is a half-fit Donovan on loan again!
David Edwards
57   Posted 09/12/2010 at 00:13:25

No money, no idea, no direction! We are under the table waiting for scraps from the big boys ? what has our once-great club become? Thanks Bill! Taxi please!
Eric Myles
58   Posted 09/12/2010 at 01:20:40

Mark (#33) ? "I don't understand the premise of this post. Don't you actually need money to go out & buy players?"

Apparently not; didn't someone famously say that "you don't need 50 million Quid to buy a 50 million Quid player"?

Eric Myles
59   Posted 09/12/2010 at 01:40:42

And I should add that this has been proven by the bloke that said it ? with the sale of Rooney, who he valued at £50 mill!!!
Owen De Asha
60   Posted 09/12/2010 at 02:04:08

The only answer to our goal drought is Romelu Lukaku.

He plays for Anderlecht and he is 17 years old, Drogba-esque build and fast considering he's 6'-3"!

Come on, Bill, splash the cash, man!
John Daley
61   Posted 09/12/2010 at 11:19:40

"The only answer to our goal drought is Romelu Lukaku"

Dreaming a bit there I think. That lad looks like he's going to be an absolute beast, but he's widely coveted by the usual suspects. Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Inter were the last linked with him so I don't think we would be able to compete even if they were giving him away for free.

Anyway, as he's only 17 ? Moyes would pull his misguided mollycoddling act and only let the lad out to play for the last ten minutes here and there.
Simon Jones
62   Posted 09/12/2010 at 16:00:04

In the past we usually get someone who no-one has heard of or expects. So I've got me fingers all crossed for a world class, fully fit striker who costs about forty quid. Probably from Mexico or something.

Seriously, I wouldn't be sorry to see the back of Saha or the Yak.
Joseph Strumm
63   Posted 10/12/2010 at 11:11:03

Noble from West Ham is a great young player and would be an ideal replacement for the imminently departing Pienaar.
Ernie McAllister
64   Posted 11/12/2010 at 02:10:56

I fully believe Howard actually costs us matches... and that will be the difference between us being a great or a mediocre side. Howard switches off way too often for my liking, is abysmal at crosses or when someone shoots from the right or left of the box. A keeper should be able to instill confidence in his back four, the problem is I don't think he does that, nor does he command his area.

Sometimes players become what I'd call complacent, because they know no one can replace them.

For me a choice between Given and Howard? Sorry, Given wins every single time for me. Mucha is poor to very poor.