FAN ARTICLES

The Parting Glass

By Christine Foster :  16/03/2011 :  Comments (50) :
A beautiful song of Irish / Scottish decent that heralds my departure from the room; I wish you all well, Michael and Lyndon, what a fantastic job you do. To all the contributors and respondents, please keep this the best Everton site in the world. I have decided to take my leave of you for a while at least, it?s been a tough year for so many and I have to focus on my own health and family for the time being.

The love of our club is stamped in our genes, one cannot deny it, so many of you are gifted, funny and passionate about Everton FC. Being so far away from home, it?s wonderful to read of the memories and the laughs we have all had watching and supporting Everton over the years.

We all have our views on what is right for the club, who should manage and how it should be run. But we are all Evertonians. It saddens me to see the way the club has gone in the last decade, the complacency and arrogance towards its own fan base and shareholders; the lies and deceit. There is no rationale to excuse it.

But enough, I must be on my way!
?But since it falls unto my lot,

That I should rise and you should not,
I gently rise and softly call,
Good night and joy be with you all.?

Thank you for the kind words and support you have given me over the past few years and the brickbats too, all taken (usually) with good humour in the spirit received. I hope I added some value along the way. Of all the articles written, I do hope that my previous one, (An Alternative Strategy) is the one both club and supporters embrace.

God Bless

Reader Comments

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
1   Posted 17/03/2011 at 05:59:29

I'm sorry to hear you're leaving us, Christine. We'll miss your comments and articles.

Best of luck with whatever family and health problems are challenging you. We'll try to make you welcome when you come back!
Steve O'Malley
2   Posted 17/03/2011 at 07:16:23

Christine, it has been a pleasure reading your intelligent and extremely well articulated scribes about a team we both obviously love.

Am I correct in thinking you are here in Aussie and if so where are you? Wherever you are I wish you and your family all the very best. Don't leave it too long before you re-join the merry band.

Howard Don
3   Posted 17/03/2011 at 07:59:00

So sorry you're leaving us Christine. Even if I didn't always agree with them, you're articles were always thought-provoking and intelligently expressed, you'll be a big miss around TW.

Best of luck with whatever personal issues you have to deal with and I sincerely hope it's only au revoir and that you'll be back here again sometime in the future.
Eugene Ruane
4   Posted 17/03/2011 at 07:55:58

Very best of luck Christine, will definitely miss your thoughtful and intelligent contributions.

Hope everything works out and you're soon back.

"Of all the friends that ever I had, they are sorry at my going away".

Absolutely!
Gavin Ramejkis
5   Posted 17/03/2011 at 08:06:29

Sorry to hear you are leaving us, hopefully it'll be a short term sabbatical and you come out the other side. I use this quote to death but it fits on so many occasions:

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you."
Colin Fitzpatrick
6   Posted 17/03/2011 at 08:54:09

Christine, like no doubt many, it saddens me to hear that TW won't be graced with your thought provoking articles and astute commentary; but family and health issues need to take precedence and you have rightly prioritised these over less important matters.

I hope you won't be too much of a stranger, you can always contact me through the keioc website, and I look forward to the day that you can once again grace TW.

Best wishes

Colin
Brian Waring
7   Posted 17/03/2011 at 09:25:46

Good luck, Christine, facing whatever challenges life is throwing at you at this time, and remember, we are always here for you.
Marc Williams
8   Posted 17/03/2011 at 09:42:15

You've put on some excellent pieces, Christine, & I for one will miss your contributions.... All the best,
Eric Myles
9   Posted 17/03/2011 at 09:48:16

Good luck Christine, you'll be missed.
Michael Brien
10   Posted 17/03/2011 at 09:48:14

Extremely sorry to hear this news. As Howard (#3) has stated, your articles are always a very good read and are extremely thought-provoking. Even if not always agreeing with certain points, one could appreciate the intelligent and astute manner in which you put across your opinions.

I hope that sounds how it is intended!! But you have certainly been a very good example of how to put across an opinion/point of view in a thought-provoking way. You have set the "bar" very high indeed.

I hope that it will not be long before we are reading your contributions to TW again ? and, if required, being put in our place with a comment as finely placed as a Kevin Sheedy pass!

For whatever the health problems are facing your family and everything in general: Many Blessings On Your Head.

Richard Dodd
11   Posted 17/03/2011 at 10:01:55

For the first time in history, Christine, I echo every word Gavram has posted above.

Good luck and good health!

Dave Wilson
12   Posted 17/03/2011 at 10:06:00

Best wishes to you and yours, Christine.

Come back soon.
Erik Dols
13   Posted 17/03/2011 at 10:07:10

Dodd, do you mean Gavram Rant? ;-)
Nah, you mean Gavin.

Christine, all the best, hope to see you back someday.
Steve Cotton
14   Posted 17/03/2011 at 10:26:21

Christine, your articles have always been an avid read and I hope you will grace our pages again. All our thoughts are with you..
Lee Courtliff
15   Posted 17/03/2011 at 10:34:53

Good luck, Christine. Hope everything turns out okay for you and your family.
Phil Bellis
16   Posted 17/03/2011 at 10:50:33

Christine Foster ? True Evertonian.
Thanks Christine; hope to hear from you soon

"Our day will come" and it'll be all the better for your presence.
Dave Brierley
17   Posted 17/03/2011 at 11:09:50

You'll be missed Christine. All the very best for the future.
Gavin Ramejkis
18   Posted 17/03/2011 at 11:18:59

Easy there Erik, you'll earn a rant.
Tom Hughes
19   Posted 17/03/2011 at 11:01:21

Christine, one of my favourite songs, and on Paddy's day too. As shown above, there'll be many who are "sorry for your going away"..... so I hope this place can still be in some ways therapeutic for you, and that you're back with more insightful submissions as soon as possible.

Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort!

Tom Fazal
20   Posted 17/03/2011 at 13:06:34

Christine, thank you for the many well written, well thought out articles you have shared with us, I have enjoyed reading them all. I hope that whatever it is that needs your attention has a swift and happy resolution.

Best wishes for the future.
Jay Harris
21   Posted 17/03/2011 at 13:09:09

Christine I hope you're now feeling the love and it helps you in whatever issues you are now having to face.

You are undoubtedly one of the most intelligent and articulate posters and a TRUE BLUE.

I am sure Michael will forgive me for speaking for "everybody else" but I have no doubt that your contributions will be sadly missed by all.

The best of luck with whatever you do and whatever life throws at you.
Jamie Crowley
22   Posted 17/03/2011 at 14:02:21

Like any good plastic paddy in America, 5 generations removed from The Island, I woke up, cleaned up, and put my green shirt on. Happy as a pig in poo with corned beef at the pub on the schedule for diner and a 4 pm exit time from work with many a beer in my immediate future, I was in a very, very good mood.

Now, I'm a bit sad.

My best to you Christine. This site will be less enjoyable for me.

To the woman who spent part of her wedding day running to Goodison to watch Everton, I wish you peace, good health, and happiness.

Be assured that the 5 Crowley boys in Florida will chuck a few prayers upstairs for one Ms. Foster. Surely God listens to the little ones?

Sorry for the religious reference Michael. But for Christine, why not?

All the best. Please come back soon.
Cindy Cole
23   Posted 17/03/2011 at 14:26:54

It saddens me that one of the few female contributors to this site is leaving ? though I sense from your post that there is something seriously amiss that you must attend to, so best of luck with that.

I hope to read your posts again some time in the not-too-distant furure, Christine. This sure has been a shitty year for Evertonians!
Tony Cheek
24   Posted 17/03/2011 at 14:32:02

Best of luck Christine. Some really good reads in your time here, and always good to see female contributions on a largely male-dominated site. Best of luck to you.
Denis Byrne
25   Posted 17/03/2011 at 14:55:02

You will be desperately missed Christine, wishing you a speedy recovery. I always logged on with the hope you would have submitted another lovely, passionate and intelligent article. Thinking of you and our beloved Everton, and the travails you are both experiencing, this one came to mind ...

"Come by the hills to the land where legend re-mains,
Where stories of old fill the heart and may yet come again,
Where our past has been lost and the future has still to be won,
Ah, the cares of to-morrow can wait 'til this day is done".

Will raise a glass for you tonight queen,

Denis
Christine Foster
26   Posted 17/03/2011 at 14:46:42

My goodness, thank you so much for al your kind words, so many of them, I really am at a loss for words.

Sometimes the major things in life needs attention, we tend to forget we are human. I am ok, just need a little super glue here and there and a whole lot of love to give to my family.
I shall return when life has a little more normality.

Thank you to each and every one of you, and Doddy, bless you, I will allow you the smile when you saw I was going..

Tom, Tá cairde Maith go deo!
I do hope my Irish has not been forgotten but Good friends are forever.. Did I ever tell you my grandmothers maiden name was Hughes, a fine Liverpool name :-)

Cindy, keep them on their toes for a while at least!

Jay, Gavin, Colin, steadfast in belief, keep the flag flying, Jamie, sorry I dampened your St Patricks day..

Till next we meet, I will keep a watchful eye to be sure!

I am in your debt until then. I am proud to be a scouser, prouder still to be an Evertonian but priviledged to belong to Toffeeweb.
Gerry Quinn
27   Posted 17/03/2011 at 18:30:56

Christine ? unfortunately our health matches our support of Everton ? they are both sooooooo unpredictable. Hope everything works out well in the future. I will miss you and your thoughts....but in the words of the "famous!!!" Dale Evans?

Happy trails to you, until we meet again
Some trails are happy ones, others are blue
It's the way you support your team that counts
Here's a happy one for you
Gerry Quinn
28   Posted 17/03/2011 at 18:32:41

..of course, he didn't have the "support your team" bit in his poem, just thought I'd change it for you - take care
Andy Crooks
29   Posted 17/03/2011 at 19:15:02

Christine, sorry and good luck.
Tom Fazal
30   Posted 17/03/2011 at 19:09:42

Christine, whatever the superglue you end up using helps you find ' a little more normality', please do share where you got it as I think there are many of us Blues who could use some:-)
Good to hear that things may not be as bad as we all feared. Take all the time you need but please come back when ready because as you can see, some of us appreciate you and are already missing your contribution.

Best wishes
Alan Clarke
31   Posted 17/03/2011 at 19:51:02

What a shame Christine. I've always thought Everton was the greatest distraction from the bad things in life. My mum died, i go to the football. My dad's diagnosed with cancer, I go to the football. I had some big surgery, my main aim after it was to get to the football.

This season's been different though. I'd put what's going on at Everton as far out of your mind as possible and focus on what's really important. Hopefully when things improve for you, the sun will finally be shining on Goodison!
Joe McMahon
32   Posted 17/03/2011 at 19:56:48

Best of luck Christine to you and your family, farewell and hope you comeback sometime!
Jim Hourigan
33   Posted 17/03/2011 at 20:07:45

Good luck and best wishes. I enjoy reading such passionate, articulate and challenging comments and look forward to your return - I hope its not too long off.
Dan Brierley
34   Posted 17/03/2011 at 20:25:32

All the best you Christine, hope it works out for you and your family.
David Hallwood
35   Posted 17/03/2011 at 20:26:34

Just to echo the sentiments, best wishes to you and your family.
Declan Burke
36   Posted 17/03/2011 at 21:23:12

Christine, please take care of yourself and your family. I always look forward to reading your articles, as they are always incisive and thought provoking. Thank you for all the passion you have shown over the years. You will be sorely missed. Come back soon.
On this Saint Patrick?s Day I will leave you with an Irish saying slán go fóill mo chara.
John Audsley
37   Posted 17/03/2011 at 21:54:43

All of the above and then some more Christine

Enjoy your columns and will miss them

Best wishes and love all round
Dennis Stevens
38   Posted 17/03/2011 at 22:08:25

Ditto!
All the best, Christine.
Keith Edmunds
39   Posted 17/03/2011 at 22:12:51

Good luck Christine. Looking forward to your return.
Jim Lloyd
40   Posted 17/03/2011 at 23:08:30

A relative newcomer to Toffeeweb, Christine. I remember through the dark days of our impending disastrous move to kirkby, your passionate and insightful comments, showing us the path to danger our club was taking.
I for one, took solace in seeing that Evertonians of standing such as yourself, could make such a wonderful case in defending this dear old club of ours.
May the road rise up to greet you dear lady.
Best wishes
Jim Lloyd
Christopher McCullough
41   Posted 17/03/2011 at 23:23:25

Keep the faith, Christine.
Brian Donnelly
42   Posted 18/03/2011 at 00:17:40

Christine

Your articles are amongst the very best on Toffeeweb. They are always so well structured and convincing that I find myself agreeing with them even on the odd occasion when I think you are wrong!

All the best for the future and I am sure you will return when the time is right.

Mike Green
43   Posted 18/03/2011 at 00:18:26

Christine - you've been one of the only sound minds on this site since I've been on.

A True Proper Evertonian.

You're brilliant.

Mike
Steve Green
44   Posted 18/03/2011 at 01:04:27

Whatever your viewpoint has been, and I have agreed with many whilst disagreeing with some, you have spoken from the heart, so as an Evertonian ? you will do for me girl.

All best wishes for a happy resolution to any problems which currently dominate or cloud you and your family life. We will all be here should ever you want to dip in or fully engage at some time in the future.

If life doesn't pan out that way, thanks for your contributions which, irrespective of responses, have been welcome and constructive.

Joe Aylward
45   Posted 18/03/2011 at 03:18:03

Christine,
All the best to you and for your future, and when you do come back, as I'm sure you will, I have no doubt it will feel like a new signing!
Brendan O'Doherty
46   Posted 18/03/2011 at 03:28:57

Best of luck Christine, and don't worry, no matter what happens,... tiocfaidh ár lá.
Ken Buckley
47   Posted 18/03/2011 at 14:29:21

All the very best to you and yours. May the resolvement be speedy.
See you soon
UP THE BLUES
David Moorcroft
48   Posted 18/03/2011 at 17:51:44

Good luck in everything, Christine, especially health matters. Will miss your intelligence and constructive contributions. May it be but a short interlude.
Dave Lynch
49   Posted 18/03/2011 at 20:00:08

Can't add anymore to what has been written above.
Best wishes, kid.
Andrew Laird
50   Posted 18/03/2011 at 20:49:51

Your poignant and intelligent posts will be sorely missed Christine, I offer my best wishes to you and your family in whatever difficult situations you may face.