FAN ARTICLES

A Busy Summer Needed

By Joshua George :  22/03/2011 :  Comments (55) :
It is evident from this season that we simply did not bring in enough players in the summer. We have lacked for many seasons pace and trickery on the wings and I for one thought Bilyaletdinov was the answer to this problem...until I saw him play. A boy with clear talent and technique that has become overshadowed by a lack of confidence and a fragile attitude. He also appears to have limited pace and average dribbling ability and I feel he could do a much better job playing in the centre of our midfield. I believe Magaye Gueye will really make the step up next season and I feel with him and the addition of a cultured right winger we can afford to get rid of Bily, as much as I appreciate his important goals.

I think it is pretty much a given that we will be waving goodbye to one time fans favourite the Yak in the summer. Unfortunately since his injury he has not been the same player and it's such a shame because we know a season or two ago he was up there with the best in the premier league. I also anticipate the departure of James Vaughan. No one can fault his work ethic and his direct style of play. His pace, strength, spring and determination really gave him a platform to potentially be an Everton great but too many injury's has made this impossible. He will certainly not be forgotten.

So that leaves us with the ageing Saha and Jermaine (the one man team) Beckford. If the latter was less selfish I really believe he could be a great player for us but for now he seems much more useful as a super sub as he always guarantees you one chance on goal. I think we may see the best of Jermaine next season. Louis Saha we all know is unbelievable, great in the air, great finisher in and outside the box with both feet, fast, powerful,he holds the ball up really well and has great movement but he is thirty two however. Little do we know with his injury record how many good seasons he has left in him so I believe a top striker is a definite priority this summer.

I feel we may also be saying so long to Jonny Heitinga who for many including myself believe to be an excellent signing and a great player. He epitomises the Everton attitude, he's versatile and has experience from the highest levels but it seems he is not quite happy on Merseyside for one reason or another. I believe a young up and coming left sided centre back who can play at full back is a must as Distin isn't getting any younger, Yobo says he will not be returning and we need cover for Bainsey. Another young attacking midfielder I think would come in handy as well with Timmy Cahill also on the wrong side of thirty.

Others may disagree with this but this is my rough generalization of what we need to do this summer. No matter who we bring in for next season I have every bit of faith they will be the right players as in Moyes I trust and I sincerely hope Manchester United keep their mits to themselves and look elsewhere for Sir Alex's successor.

As long as we keep hold of my favourite player Marouane Fellaini I think next season we could finally see a piece of silverware at Goodison park.

Reader Comments

Keith Edmunds
1   Posted 23/03/2011 at 05:56:28

Michael how did this get past your excellent quality control. No paragraphs makes it hard to read.

It's good to hear the optimism of youth but, as a despondent old bugger I'm expecting a summer of discontent.

Keep the faith Joshua.
Eric Myles
2   Posted 23/03/2011 at 07:21:51

Well that's 4 new quality first team players you've identified without even replacing any of the on loan players or having any back up for midfield or strikers.

Where is the money going to come from?

I think everyone now realises without selling Fellaini and Rodwell for serious amounts of money we won't be seeing anything different from the last few seasons of stagnation.

Unless Pat Nevin's anonymous buyers can pry the train set controls out of Kenwrights cold dead hands.
Gavin Ramejkis
3   Posted 23/03/2011 at 07:51:05

Eric the thought of that image "Kenwright's cold dead hands" will keep me smiling all day now, thanks, pity it's just a thought.
Sam Hoare
4   Posted 23/03/2011 at 09:15:04

Attacking midfielder- swap Yakubu for Andy King
Centre back- Hope Duffy steps up
Left mid- Hope wolves get relegated, sell Billy for £6m and buy Matt Jarvis. Or rewind time and buy Adam Hamill for a paltry £500k.
Striker- God knows. Send Anichebe to Lourdes and hope a miracle happens?

Put the Rodwell/Heitinga money in the bank so we can clear our debt and no longer have to sell our best players. Without which we are never going to step up.
Steve Cotton
5   Posted 23/03/2011 at 08:32:32

I would say it is a nap that Fellaine and Rodwell with both go as well as the three mentioned earlier in the piece, Yobo Yak and Vaughan and lets be honest their departure wont have any bearing on the first team anyway. Couple to that the departure of probably Heitinger then we should be able to cobble together the best part of 45 millon or possibly higher.

there is a chance that Saha may feel he is too old and retire and Timmy Cahill is starting to look a bit past it... this is where we will have trouble because we cant sell them for anything sensible even if we wanted to.

Jan Mucha will also look elsewhere so a back up keeper is needed too.

trouble is if we have 50 million to spend every playe we want will cost 5 times his normal price, or in the case of Andy Carroll 10 times
Stephen Kenny
6   Posted 23/03/2011 at 09:06:57

Joshua,

Roughly I agree with most of what you say.

I believe there is room for manouvre in the transfer market to improve the squad without selling any of the major assets, although the more I watch Jack Rodwell the more I think a big money sale would benefit us as I don't see in him what others do.

If he's staying the only position I see for him is right back as I think he's got what it takes to be a top class player there, in centre mid and centre back he can't get his tackles in, isn't physical enough and doesn't pass forwards, which you need to do in the middle of the park.

Clearly we do not have the financial muscle or the manegerial nous to operate with a big squad, for this reason I would be happy to see a good, young striker brought in with the sales of Yakubu, Yobo and Vaughan.

I'd be happy to see the back of Bily who could bring a big fee in as Russian clubs are cash rich and he has performed well for his country in his time with us, hopefully this would see a winger in the N'zogbia mould come in.

That just leaves a space next to Big mo to fill as I see Arteta staying out on the wings afetr the way this season has gone. For me the perfect player for that is Charlie Adam, That's one I'm really hoping to see this summer.

If Moyes can get past his stubborness regarding wheeling and dealing and start using his undoubted skills in unearthing quality at low prices then this summer could bring the second wave of Pienaar's, Cahill's, Arteta's and Lescott's. Something we need to do as it's our only hope of competing.

Sam Hoare
7   Posted 23/03/2011 at 09:57:23

Steve, if we sold Fellaini, Rodwell, Yak, Yobo , Vaughan and Hetinga and only got £45m then i would say negotiations went seriously wrong!!

Would hope that just Fellaini and Rodwell would cost upwards of £50 m.
Erik Dols
8   Posted 23/03/2011 at 10:01:11

The thing that most of us seem to forget is that if we sell players for a certain amount (£45 mil in this case), it doesn't neceserraly means we've got that amout to spend. We'll be paying off debts or just interest on those debts with a good part of the money.
Sam Morrison
9   Posted 23/03/2011 at 10:28:46

I hope to God we keep Fellaini. I think Rodwell is a real prospect but not the finished article and, to be honest, slightly overhyped when compared to a player like Wilshire. If we have to let one of them go I'd rather keep Marouane.

Overall though I agree it really feels like a few new faces are needed. We thought we were only one or two short of a fantastic squad last summer but obviously a terrible season ensued, and nobody - it feels like this includes the manager and squad - rates us right now. Some fresh impetus is needed.
Eugene Ruane
10   Posted 23/03/2011 at 09:42:29

Personally I would love to see us unearth a couple of lads who absolutely despise losing.

Yes I know they ALL hate losing, but I'm talking about those (these days very rare) types who it seems would kill their own grandmothers to win.

Hard cases, nasty bastards if you will.

I have no doubt that a large part (the largest?) of our success in the 80's was down to Peter Reid.

A player who on paper probably didn't tick a lot of boxes.

Didn't score loads, didn't spray 50 yard balls about, not a great header of the ball etc.

But that centre circle was his and not only were opposition players wary of him, so were many of our own.

On the field he had one thing in his head - win.

And if that meant kicking his own team-mates arses as well as the oppositions, fine.

Plus he never shut his mouth, talking/shouting all the time, no one had time to slack or drift out of position.

Andy Gray had a similar mentality, maybe on the face of it not as hard/nasty as Reid but I've never seen anyone who loved winning more.

And that attitude spreads.

When Sharpy first came in, he looked quite shy and naive.

By the end of 85 he knew every trick in the book and winning had become a habit.

(I put a lot of that down to Gray).

Viera for Arsenal looked a tall elegant player, different on the face of it from Reidy, but I remember him as a hard bastard who wouldn't take any shit.

Anyone intimidating Arsenal players when he was there knew there was a good chance they'd end up getting wellied by him

For me they've never replaced him and (I think) have won fuck all since he left.

I realise that many Reid type tackles would these days result in instant dismissal but I still think it's possible to intimidate by force of personality.

Phil Neville shouts and points a lot and is a feller I've loads of time for, but he intimidates nobody (imo)

Personally I'd have loved to have seen a nark like Nolan at Everton.

Yeah, yeah I know dirty fucking blah blah, but it's incredible how dirty bastards become 'good tacklers' when they put on a blue shirt and bang in a few goals

Anyway, just..um..thinking out loud.
Trevor Lynes
11   Posted 23/03/2011 at 11:55:02

Your post was OK until you said that Heitinga was a great signing !!!!! That to me puts more or less everything else into the rubbish bin...Heitinga is one of the worst Dutch internationals I have ever seen....he contributes no more and to my mind considerably less than Hibbo who is a journeyman and Neville who is past his best !!
His goal apart he is not worth his place when everyone is fit and he cost us a lot of money.
The same goes for Bily who is a major disappointment.
Where do you get the knowledge about Maggie ???? He is a complete mystery man to me..
Daniel A Johnson
12   Posted 23/03/2011 at 12:29:08

The answer is simple sell Rodwell and get three £8 million pound players from the fee to boost the ranks.

Rodwell, prospect or not, just isn't showing it on the pitch. We won't miss him so let Man Utd spend tme polishing the diamond. Our squad is so threadbare we can't just hope to keep him and cut off our nose to spite our face. We need the fucking cold hard cash. We need the cash NOW.

Fellaini I think will still be here next season, his injury has seen to that, I think.

Saha is now gone. Yakubu didn't recover 100% from his injury and this latest cruel injury must surely spell the end for Saha at 33.

With the aging Cahill more and more immobile, and the misfiring Bilyaletdinov and Heitinga still unsure if they like the colour blue, next season has me bricking it.

We now officially only have Beckford and Anichebe as recognised strikers. That's a championship strikeforce if ever I have seen one. The future's not bright.

With the manager possibly jumping ship before the start of next season, were looking down the barrell of a loaded gun.

Jesus, I need a drink.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
13   Posted 23/03/2011 at 13:05:56

Hmmm... that's weird. I did a full edit job and added all the paras... Maybe I'm going down injured too!
James I'Anson
14   Posted 23/03/2011 at 13:45:32

It amazes me that people still think Moyes will get whatever money he brings in to spend on new players.
Phil Bellis
15   Posted 23/03/2011 at 14:05:40

Top of me head....

Southall
Wright (T) Lyons Watson Van Den Hauwe
Gabriel Reid Kay Morrissey
Gray Ball
(shudders)

subs: West; Rioch; Ferguson; Bernie Wright
Chris Bannantyne
16   Posted 23/03/2011 at 14:01:43

Actually last season I thought Heitinga was the bees knees. Impressed me a hell of a lot. This season... Yeah, not so much.

I really like Bilyaletdinov, seems like a real nice guy and he always talks about how he loves being at everton. Plus we all know about that left foot of his. But as so many people have pointed out, he is just plain struggling. I'd love to say he will come good, and be a top player for us... But I can't. I just don't know.

I'd flog Anichebe, even if we get nothing for him, fuck, even if we have to PAY someone to take him. Just get him off the payroll and get him off the bench. I always dread that 70-80 minute mark when moyes is about to make a sub, and I sit with my fingers crossed, praying, HOPING, it's not Anichebe. And if he starts a game? Well then that 70-80 minute mark just can't come fast enough!

If we flog rodders or felli (neither of whom I want to lose in the slightest) I know DM won't get all that money for signings, but shit I hope he gets enough to bring in at least two decent players (by decent I mean no one from League 2, no one from international lower leagues, and no one "for the future").

Or maybe some sheik will buy us out and we will have 5 $30mil strikers warming the bench.

Both scenarios seem around about just as likely at the moment.

KENWRIGHT OUT!!
Eugene Ruane
17   Posted 23/03/2011 at 15:06:49

Phil - just read your team and it made me go all funny 'down there'.

(nods head in 'down there' direction)
Tom Harries
18   Posted 23/03/2011 at 15:24:00

As has been said already, a chunk of the money we would raise would have to go towards debt repayment; it is after all why we have to sell before we can buy.

Of the players named in the OP, only Fellaini and Rodwell would raise any real money, because they're the ones we dont really want to sell (and can therefore try to hold out for as much money as poss.)

With players we do want to sell to raise cash, it's the other way round; other clubs can hold out for less money because we are the ones who need to make the deal.

I agree with the OP's points about the players we need to bring in, but what guarantee do we have that if we sell to buy we won't end up with Carlos Kickaball, Ivor Hamstring and two other turkeys?
Shaun Brennan
19   Posted 23/03/2011 at 16:55:06

Expect relegation!! Mass exodus and no one of any worth comming in.
Trevor Lynes
20   Posted 23/03/2011 at 17:04:23

Lets just hope Bainsey doesn't want away...he is by far our most valuable player (and I include Felli and Rodders) plus we have NO COVER for him !!!!!!!!!!
Just hope the lad does not get injured or fed up with EFC's lack of funds !!
I honestly cannot see any top player wanting to play for us with the clubs lack of ambition and business nous !
Ray Said
21   Posted 23/03/2011 at 17:13:31

Phil (15)
Now that's a team that would need to be fed on plenty of red meat!
Neil Humphreys
22   Posted 23/03/2011 at 18:32:06

A+, stating the bleeding obvious however.
We've needed two busy summers over the last two years. Instead, Doddy's boyfriend has delivered ziltch.

We are - and I'll use the technical term here so I hope I dont lose you : FUCKED.

Graham Holliday
23   Posted 23/03/2011 at 19:29:08

Ok, so, here's a little snippet of info... Jose Salomon Rondon... bright young thing playing for Malaga. Guillem Balague saying a Premier League manager with the initials D.M. has been to watch him.

Centre forward with a buyout clause of 20 million Euros apparently. Lord knows where we'd get that kind of money from, but Balague knows his stuff on Spanish football.

Of course, going to watch a player doesn't mean you're going to sign them. But possibly an indication we might be looking to sell to buy?

Just thought I'd get silly season started a bit early this year, seeing as the season has ended (in all but name) already...
Andy Crooks
24   Posted 23/03/2011 at 19:38:07

Sam Hoare, if we were to get a combined total of £50 million for Rodwell and Fellaini then I would say without a doubt that football has gone even more insane. Frankly, it will be an average side that either of them will improve much.

Eugene, sounds like you'd like to bring Joey Barton home. I'd be with you on that.

Roman Sidey
25   Posted 23/03/2011 at 18:41:47

Eugene, the hard man that you speak of WAS Heitinga. Maybe not as much this season as last, but when he first arrived you could tell this guy was on the field to do one thing more than others - enforce. Sadly, Moyes is a soft cock and only likes "good honest players" who whinge, whine or look around like a stunned mullet when the ball gets tackled off of them - Anichebe, Osman, Pienaar, etc.

Before Bily came to Everton, he was a better player than most of the Everton squad. The skills and plays he showed on the pitch were awe inspiring, and we've all had glimpses of what he can do since he arrived. I'm not sure how many of you actually still play sport, but if I was on the bench and getting on the field in the 90th minute I probably wouldn't be putting in as much effort as I would if I was starting occasionally, or even coming on at the break.

Josh, the last paragraph intrigued me. I know a lot of people want to hang on to Fellaini, but to what extent does everyone "love" him? What I mean is, I appreciate what he brings to the squad and we would be a weaker team without him, but if he left I wouldn't be as heart broken than if, say, Arteta or Cahill left. Just wanted to guage the idea of his followers.
David Hallwood
26   Posted 23/03/2011 at 20:50:10

I think all the players mentioned will go and possibly Baines, so expect £70 mill into the club-but how much will the manager (whoever that is) will get to spend.
Sam Hoare
27   Posted 23/03/2011 at 20:54:16

Andy, no doubt that football went crazy a long time ago.

£25m is the figure being bandied about in the press for Rodwell (not that that means it true of course) and to my eye Fellaini is comfortably a better player. So yes, madness or not i think £50m for the pair is what we should be looking for. If Carroll is worth £35 m FFS!
Dick Fearon
28   Posted 23/03/2011 at 20:19:35

What seems to be forgot is that the current squad is or was good enough to have us sitting comfortably in a top four place. The addition of a few quality players would have been welcome but not really needed to earn a place in next years Champions League.

A proper preparation for this season would not have seen our entire team gasping for breath at half time in the opening eight games. A half decent run of results in that crucial period and we would not have been playing catch up for the remaining games. Then we saw points conceded by playing 4-5-1 in home games against the likes of West Brom, Bolton Wigan etc.

With all due respect to everyone who vouches for that tactic in home games against such sides is tantamount to cowardice in the face of the enemy. For all of the above it is Moyes and not BK who must shoulder most of the blame. Moyes hand picked coaching panel should come in for a share of criticsm. In the recent 12 months I cannot name a player who in any aspect of their game has shown genuine technical improvement. What individual faults they had last year are still visible today. Rather than improving their skills under the guidance of the panel some have clearly deteriorated.

With news of another pre-season USA jaunt, I am concerned that lessons have not been learned and we are in for a repeat of past years.

Roman Sidey
29   Posted 23/03/2011 at 21:29:12

They were good enough once, maybe Dick, but like you said, no one has really improved, and when other squads evolve and improve, and we do neither, the writing's on the wall for how we will fair against them.

What happens this off season needs to be completely different to every other off season in the last 3 years. It's obvious that the way we are prepared in the pre-season is responsible for our slow starts. I think, though, that the main thing that needs to change, is that if we are going to sell players like Rodwell and Fellaini, we need to sell them early - before the end of June at the very latest. If Moyes waits until the final hour again to spend what little transfer kitty he is given from the board, then we will be in bigger trouble than we have already imagined.
Tim O'Connell
30   Posted 23/03/2011 at 21:52:23

Eugene in 10 may have hit upon it but I am not sure how many of those exist now. A lot of pundits point to the fact that Manure haven't got a Roy Keane and the Arse no Viera so if they can,t find one then it indicates a quality enforcer is not around, why I don't know other than the change in tackling interpretation.

The one player I would love at Goodison is Scotty Parker and, although I would have reservations deep down, I would probably be happy if Joey Barton signed.

Col Noon
31   Posted 23/03/2011 at 22:01:37

If the players had an 1/8 of the passion for club as us fans did we would have a solid base to start from. Eugene - 10 was spot on in his take on it. I could not agree more sir.
David Thomas
32   Posted 23/03/2011 at 22:26:16

"Eugene, the hard man that you speak of WAS Heitinga."

If Heitinga is now considered a hard man then it shows how soft football has become.
Dermot Ryan
33   Posted 23/03/2011 at 22:40:51

Eugene: Agree entirely that we need players that are winners. Gray always mentions that about the team of the mid-Eighties. They just couldn't deal with losing. We need that type of passion mixed with the intimidation factor you say that Reid imposed.

I think Fellaini may grow to have that, but I don't see it in many of our talented players: Baines, Arteta, and Rodwell don't exude that kind of passion (I'm not knocking Baines workrate, mind you: far from it). Howard emits some of that kind of fire. Coleman sometimes displays it, but he's too young to carry authority.

I'd like to see it come from someone apart from Neville display this desire to win at all costs. This kind of spirit/character cannot be dismissed. Totally lacking in Arsenal while Man Utd have it in spades.

Roman Sidey
34   Posted 23/03/2011 at 22:39:26

David, hence the capital letters for WAS.
Roman Sidey
35   Posted 23/03/2011 at 23:11:22

And Dermott, you are right. Coleman and Howard do seam to be the only week-in-week-out first 11 that seem unhappy when we are losing. The rest of the team do appear to rally towards the end of games when we're not winning, but it looks very pre-programmed.

The worst at not showing a distaste for losing, I think, is David Moyes. Sure, he can sit on the bench at Bolton and sulk, and everyone loves how he deals with the media with dignity, but losing it occasionally and losing some friends in the name of showing the fans you care could do wonders for the mentality of the side.
David Thomas
36   Posted 23/03/2011 at 23:23:22

Do you really think Heitinga has ever been a hard man? We must have very different ideas on what constitutes a hard man if you do.
James Flynn
37   Posted 23/03/2011 at 23:20:18

Eugene (10) - Good post. As much as we talk, naturally, about getting in talent, we seem to be missing those fellows whose influence only shows up in the Win column.

Good reading.
Drew O'Neall
38   Posted 23/03/2011 at 23:35:41

I hope I'm not stating the obvious here but you've got to look at Market value vs value to our team.

I would sell this lot just to clear some debt whether Moyes got the money or not as I feel their contribution to the team could be replaced by promising youngsters.

Heitinga £5m
Rodwell £20m
Billy £5m
Yobo £3m
Yakubu £3m
Vaughan £2m
Anichebe £2m
At least we could start to be cash positive at TV money time.
Roman Sidey
39   Posted 23/03/2011 at 23:57:23

I remember when he came in he was always putting in the hard tackles and getting yellow cards, but as you alluded to, football HAS become soft. There's no way players would get away today with what they could do in the 80s.
Alasdair Mackay
40   Posted 24/03/2011 at 13:00:35

This Fernando Gago talk has got me thinking ? Fellaini + £15M for Gago would be good business! Anyone?

We would replace a midfielder like-for-like and generate at least £8-10M spending money ? assuming that we don't get the whole £15M to spend!

Add to that money the inevitable £4M for Yak, £2M for Yobo and £1M for Vaughan and we have £12M to re-invest in players (from £22M income) and the DM replacement for Felli is already sorted!

Assuming that one or both of Gueye and Baxter will come good next season and Bily will be more involved and we only need a striker with that money!
Peter Warren
41   Posted 24/03/2011 at 13:18:49

We do need to get tougher ? but it's more leaders that we need and we are a soft touch. People like Bellamy, snarling, hate losing kind of people we need ? a Joe Parkinson type fella in the middle.

Scotty Parker would be ideal but no chance.

David Bridge
42   Posted 24/03/2011 at 18:28:25

After watching the reserves on Monday night we officially have no hope. Baxter looks 2 stone overweight and it is no wonder Moyes won't chance him.

Getting rid of Moyes is the only way we are going to secure any players for next season, the man doesn't seem to acknowledge his threadbare piss-poor squad.

There are plenty of players available for a good price, as can be seen signing for our rivals.
Karl Masters
43   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:02:03

I agree with Eugene, although what I would perhaps add is that we don't just need hard players, we need natural Leaders And Winners.

That is waht I believe Reid and Gray added to that Everton mid-eighties team. They essentially turned them from a bunch of young, undoubtedly talented, but a bit soft players into a motivated, confident force who believed they would win every match.

Peter Reid once said that 90% of football is played in the head. How true!!!!
Karl Masters
44   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:10:00

And by the way... that last bit goes for us as well! Encourage and big the players up. Confidence is the key.
James Hollister
45   Posted 24/03/2011 at 19:51:14

Sam Hoare ? Anichebe would be condemned to hell for all eternity because of the fraud he is.

Remind me again how many Premier League goals he has scored again in the last 3 seasons?

I think he has had something like 87 games of which 4 goals he scored in Europe. In fact I can't remember him scoring in the Premier League?

Joshua ? what concerns me, is all this blind faith in Moyes. This is the same man that won't let go of players like Hibbert, Osman, Neville... but he lets Vaughan and the Yak go on loan, despite the ludicrously bad options we have up top.

I thought the old battle tank (Yak) was actually improving, and coming along... then, all of a sudden, he is loaned out? Something stinks right there.

I have a feeling if the meeting Moyes is planning on having doesn't prove to him there is ambition at board level to help him buy players, he could well resign.

I haven't seen him this down since he has been here, The poor bugger believed the squad he had was the best it has ever been, which it very clearly isn't.

Needless to say, he does need a bigger squad, and he needs to perhaps bite his pride about how much quality that bigger squad should have imo.
Roman Sidey
46   Posted 24/03/2011 at 20:51:37

James, it's a good point you raise about Moyes. I think it's a fairly good shout that Moyes and Yak don't get along, as he hasn't been given a chance since he came back from injury.

People say he hasn't been the same since his injury. Well, he's been banging in goals at Leicester, and I don't care if that is a league lower, a goal scorer is a goal scorer. We saw it. He scored against Stoke, then got dropped. What is that?

This is why I think Moyes needs to go. If he's going to continually fall out with our good players and keep saying things like "As long as I'm here Hibbo has a job", then we're better off without him. That quote a few weeks ago, by the way, is one of the most unprofessional things I've heard a football manager ever say.

Ryan Holroyd
47   Posted 24/03/2011 at 22:35:42

James # 45

Any chance you could spell our manager's name correctly?

Every post you make you make you spell his name incorrectly!.

His name is spelt MOYES not MOYSE.

Also, the reason we have let Yak and Vaughan go on loan is because we have no money.

How difficult is it for people to understand that WE HAVE NO MONEY.
James Hollister
48   Posted 25/03/2011 at 04:15:18

Everton manager David Moyes will not recall Yakubu from his loan at Leicester and has yet to make a decision on the striker's future beyond the end of the season.

Tonight on Sky Sports.

Ryan that statement of his, is pretty telling. I honestly do not believe it's anything to do with money.
He even says and I quote Moyes "But, the one thing is, it's good that he is getting games. He needs the games. We couldn't quite get him in the team at the time."

Couldn't get him in the team at the time? He came on a fair few times as sub, and as mentioned above scored against Stoke. If anything he looked as if he was improving albeit slowly.

Instead he throws him out on loan, and now he says it's because of match fitness, and a pretty veiled "I haven't got a clue what I am going to do come the end of the season with him, we'll have to wait and see."

It's no secret Moyes has problems with some players, he rubs them up the wrong, whatever and suddenly they don't want to play for us.

It's no secret the Yak has stated he wants to stay with Leicester when the loan ends. Sounds like he is absolutely desperate to be moved on to me and other people.
Eric Myles
49   Posted 25/03/2011 at 06:16:15

James #45, we have 11 players out on loan because we have no money to pay their wages.

That's not down to Moyes.

KENWRIGHT OUT.
Jimmy Sorheim
50   Posted 25/03/2011 at 08:34:38

It is a bad joke. Many players that are out on loan could have done a fair good job for us in this injury situation. But we are in a different state now than before the season.

Moyes was told in January we have no money and you have to cut our wages by 20% or we will have to sell to the first bid that comes along after that. That is why Moyes is pissed, because he thought, like every other supporter, that he would be able to keep ALL his players throughout the season, but it started with the Pienaar sale and then all the other loans that came after that. Now we are like a plucked chicken, with no real squad at all. We are a big joke, and we are all angry about it including Moyes.

So, what now? What if we are to lose all our games from now to the end of season, then we will go down for sure. There is nothing Moyes can do about it, cause he can't afford the wages and therefore can't recall anyone from loan, so we are fucked in my opinion. And that makes me angry!

Denis Richardson
51   Posted 25/03/2011 at 12:01:36

Wow, I am not a massive Moyes supporter but the above is getting too much on the negative side. At the end of the day, there's not much he can do except get to the end of the season as high as possible. Then we'll see.....

It looks like Rodwell and Fellaini are out for the rest of the season and at best Arteta will be back mid-to-late April. Could this finally lead to the league debut of our supposed secret weapon Gueye? Coleman also has a slight knock. I would like to finally see this guy given a league run out ? if he plays for France U21, he can't be that bad (especially when we have Osman, Neville, Heitinga and, dare I even say it, Anichebe as our now first choice midfield!).

A low on confidence Villa at home, no choice but to start with Beckford and Cahill up top (please do not start with Anichebe!), lets get Bily and Gueye some game time and see if they have anything to offer (even if only hope) for next season.

It's sad but I think we will be starting the Villa game with 6 defenders on the pitch so won't hold my breath for goals.

International weekends really are wank...
Roman Sidey
52   Posted 26/03/2011 at 03:44:02

Jimmy, I tend to agree with you a bit, but to absolve Moyes of any blame is ludicrous!

He is to blame in the sense that if he had sold the right players at the right time, he wouldn't have had to loan out almost every attacking player we have.

Had he sold Pienaar as soon as he refused to sign a new contract we probably would have gotten at least double for him. I wasn't a massive fan of the South African, but £3M for him was disgraceful business, which was one of the few things I thought Moyes was good at.
Tony Cheek
53   Posted 26/03/2011 at 20:37:34

So, season's over, Bill just told you that you have to get rid of three players. Who do you choose? We want money to buy new blood and to pay off debt. How do you go about it?

We won't get Yobo back, so he doesn't count. Hopefully a million there!

For me, Bainsey, Jack and Coleman have to be kept at all costs. So who is expendable? My three are as follows:

Fellaini ? great on his day, but too few of them... we can sell (£25 million);

Heitinga ? I like Johnny and, unbelievably, last year saw him as a future captain. But his attitude has not been good and I feel he wants out (£10 million)

Bilyaletdinov ? I like him too, but can never see him holding down a regular spot (£10 million)

Well?...i f you were Davey what would you do? ps: Leave is not an option!!

David Thomas
54   Posted 26/03/2011 at 22:01:28

Tony,

I can't believe you are saying Rodwell and Coleman have to be kept but Fellaini can be sold.

I presume you are basing that on the fact that we would get the most money for Mo if he was sold?
James Hollister
55   Posted 30/03/2011 at 06:34:11

Well, David, Mo would fetch a handsome price and, when you consider two things here, it makes sense to offload him:

1) The lad, for the past two seasons, hasn't managed to play more than 22 games, this season it's 20. That's 18 games without him.

2) He has more bad games than good imo and, when you factor in the above, that's 20 games, where approximately you might get 10/11 good games out of him for the season. That for me is a hell of a waste of talent. And then you have his injury-prone issues.

Dispite the fact he has some good games, for me it's simply not enough that out of 38 league games he has 11 good matches and 9 average with the rest out injured.

Clearly it's not a one-off either, remember back to last season where he only managed 22 matches... it makes economical sense to get what we can for him now, while the market will pay £25 Mill for him... not sure we'd get though, mind.