2019-20MatchesTableFirst TeamU18/U23TransfersNews
Text Size:  A  A  A
Season 2011-12
COLUMNIST KEN BUCKLEY

From my seat: Liverpool (H)

By Ken Buckley   ::  01/10/2011
 40 Comments (»Last)
The derby was with us once again and the day started in true fashion with an early kick-off that didn?t deter anyone from having a few brews and a bet. The walk up to the ground was punctuated with how things might pan out with the team as announced via text.

Into the ground and the feeling was one of optimism and the opening encounters were of a promising nature. We were the dominant side and were attacking from both flanks. The Liverpool contingent were quiet compared with previous meetings which reflected the superiority shown by the Blues.

We created chances that saw a Cahill towering header goalbound only for Reina to tip over. We then had a passage of play that saw us rip them apart only for Distin to show some superb approach play from the left but fire just over. We were now on top and looking good for the points until that fateful 25th minute when Rodwell dispossessed Suarez and for some unknown reason the Liverpool player collapsed as if targeted from a sniper in the stand and the Referee Mr Atkinson (Remember the Name) immediately produced a red card.

Jack was off; Everton down to ten men... and the derby ruined.

From my seat, although some 100m away, it looked a strong but fair tackle but I conceded that the Ref was just yards away and maybe I had missed something. Mayhem broke out with Everton players remonstrating with the Ref but to no avail and Jack had to walk. On his way to the tunnel he variously shook his head, held it in his hands and kicked anything in his way. Hardly the actions of a player who really knew he had been rightly red carded.

The game was dead as a contest ? both sets of players and fans knew it ? and it produced an atmosphere of acceptance and malevolence toward the Ref. From the high tempo start that put us on the front foot we had to become a more deep-lying unit and hope against hope that we could at least salvage a point. Cahill was forced to operate in midfield leaving Saha stranded upfield and to be fair on occasion he did well to hold things up; we just could not get the bodies required to support him.

The game was now up as a contest and we all deep down really knew it so we got behind the team as best we could and did manage to get all sides of the ground singing with gusto "You?re not fit to referee." Jags floored the odious Suarez and gave away a penalty that we just could not argue with. What an ovation when Howard dived to his left and saved the Kuyt spot-kick. It gave us something to hang on to and taunt the Liverpool contingent with.

Half-time could not come soon enough for us and this was borne out when Adam from a standing start rattled our bar with Howard beaten...

The second half started with us looking to give it a right go and maybe get one and hang on but our chance came and went when Saha hit a beauty that beat Reina but flashed inches wide. As the half wore on it, became evident that the 11 were getting the better of the (Ref induced) 10. Saha cleared from the line. Howard had to turn a Carroll effort around the post and luckily Kuyt deflected an Adam free kick wide.

We tried to attack and Saha hit one just wide but on each counter-attack we looked more and more vulnerable. Gerrard came on and did nothing but the other sub Bellamy created the breakthrough by getting down the left and feeding Enrique to cross for Carroll to tap home after our rearguard was cruelly exposed. Ten men or not, I doubt the manager will be pleased with that passage of play.

On 80 mins, another cock-up at the back as fatigue set in saw Distin hit Kuyt with a clearance and the ball fall to the odious Suarez who pounced and slid home. The idiot Suarez decided to celebrate in front of the Gwladys Street and was pelted with missiles various. Will we get a censure and fine for throwing them and will Suarez get censure and a fine for prompting them? Don?t hold your breath.

Kuyt hit a post, the odious Suarez complained to the ref regarding something thrown but by now who the hell gave a damn when once again the Merseyside derby is ruined by a wannabee referee and once again in the favour of our neighbours. It can?t be coincidence ? can it?

Variously we threw on Drenthe, Vellios and Neville but to little avail. My view was why take Hibbert off when he was up to pace and putting in a few very good crosses? But in the end it didn?t matter...

MotM ? Take your pick: mine was Baines/Howard. I said earlier that, although I thought Rodwell?s tackle was fair, the Ref. was much better placed than me. On returning to my North Liverpool Alehouse, a lad showed me a replay on his mobile from YouTube and ? oh dear ? a bloody travesty.

I hope the authorities take note of this referee?s actions and do their utmost to stop him inflicting such misguided actions by way of further training. Failure to do so will surely inevitably begin the decline of large crowds who come to see a contest between two teams and NOT the whim of an official who, like some others before him, believe they are more important than the players.

The evidence is there for all to see. He judged the derby and it?s meaning rather than the incident. Shame on him and the authorities if they don?t take action that is seen to be fair and just and publicised.

People paid good and hard earned money to have an expectant day out ruined by one man?s ego. FA ? watch the replays and, for the sake of football, ACT!!!
UP THE BLUES

Reader Comments

Andy Crooks
1   Posted 01/10/2011 at 20:46:29

I like your reports ,Ken, and this was among your best.
Ray Robinson
2   Posted 01/10/2011 at 20:50:19

Well, if the FA had any balls about them, they'd rescind the red card AND ban Suarez for playacting. Don't expect anything to happen though.

Went to the Rugby League playoff semi final last night when Warrington lost (yes, bad weekend for me sportswise!) but a sport with so little money swashing about, still manages to get most of the decisions right with the aid of technology.

The referee has to have the final say in local parks games but surely, in the richest league in the world, the referees have got to get the majority of decisions right.

It's ok people saying that decisions even themselves out but how does an unjustified sending off in the 89th minute when a team is leading 3-0 balance out one in the 23rd minute when the score is 0-0? Why do the "bigger" teams always seem to get the majority of favourable decisions?

Sorry, rant over.
Nick Entwistle
3   Posted 01/10/2011 at 21:09:20

Not once, that I saw, but Gerrard got a slight boo but I think most people were too annoyed to care at that point.
Dick Fearon
4   Posted 01/10/2011 at 21:15:50

If that referee has an ounce of integrity after reviewing the non incident he would rescind that red card and offer Everton a sincere apology.
If the FA had an ounce of integrity it would drop the incompetent buffoon from premier league duty.
It is time all referees were made to explain dodgy decisions.
Ted Smeethes
5   Posted 01/10/2011 at 21:24:23

Good report. Rodwell was playing well with some solid tackles ? such a shame.
David Smith
6   Posted 01/10/2011 at 21:27:12

Thanks for the report Ken, I always look forward to them.

I was there too ? Upper Bullens ? and saw it just as you did. Saurez really is a an obnoxious twat, unfortunately I just knew that he'd have something to do with the outcome of the game. He's an out-and-out cheat and makes me very fucking angry, he's a particularly unlikeable person.
Milos Milenkovic
7   Posted 01/10/2011 at 21:26:09

It's now 9 hours after that red card and I am still in absolute shock. I've seen zillion games and this is one of the worst decisions of all time. FA should repay people for their tickets. You wait for months, you pay big money and out of nothing after 20 minutes game is over.

Maybe I am pathetic but this game has a social aspect as well. Message is that you should act like Suarez and you'll be fine. You can prepare, you can be brave but at the end, some theatrical fall is easier and more effective than anything.

I still can't believe that this is happening again against Liverpool. We should stop playing derby games because there is no point any more.
Tommy Heskrth
8   Posted 01/10/2011 at 21:06:08

This is slightly off topic, however, did Blue Bill's face appear on the Screen at anytime in the game?
David Clark
9   Posted 01/10/2011 at 21:23:33

Another good report Ken.

From where I was, it looked like Sourarse handled the ball to get it under control for his goal.. But I could have been looking through blue tinted glasses at thast point..

Shame about today as it was my lads first derby game.
Problem is, if the FA do decide to do anything about the ref, it won't help us one little bit.
Stuart Critchley
10   Posted 01/10/2011 at 21:39:02

Spot on, Ken, how many more times are we going too get dicked by the ref in derbies? Too many too list!!
Stuart Critchley
11   Posted 01/10/2011 at 21:59:27

Tommy, Bill's boat did not appear on screen.
Steavey Buckley
12   Posted 01/10/2011 at 22:18:05

The sending off of Rodwell was another incident which could have rectified if TV replays could have been used. TV replays have helped Test cricket enormously, with 3 appeals given to each side per innings.
Steve Kidd
13   Posted 01/10/2011 at 22:23:10

Rodwell had been quiet for the first 15 mins or so and was just growing into the game when he was sent off. It was a shame because Everton had just had their passage of play by that point. MOM for me was any one of Hibbert, Distin or Howard. I agree that that the red should be rescinded and Suarez banned for play acting, but will it happen? Will it fuck.
Ian McDowell
14   Posted 01/10/2011 at 22:23:25

The decision was a shocker, but you know what I was watching in the pub and my first thought was, oh shit Jack your in trouble here. Now looking at it again it was a terrible decision not helped by Suarez's reaction. I have had to leave it a few hours before coming on here because I would have said something I would probably regret after listening to those kopite twats in the pub.

Anyway forgetting that incident one thing that does concern me is the stupid goals we have started to concede. FFS both goals today should have been avoided. the lads done well today though and I thought Saha did well and shown some neat touches. I'm convinced that team we started with is the best we have got and hopefully we will play it in 2 weeks at Chelsea.
Dean Adams
15   Posted 01/10/2011 at 22:20:38

This referee should be banned from setting foot in a football ground. The FA should be ashamed that they allow these arseholes ruin so many of our matches. When they say we are bitter blues then for me I will always be bitter that such blatant bad sportsmanship and cheating is continuously allowed to continue.

I hate us loosing but if it is by fair means then I can cope, but really that was such blatant cheating again that I feel I no longer want anything to do with football whilst sky are involved.
David Hallwood
16   Posted 01/10/2011 at 22:44:58

Doesn't the referee have to admit he got it wrong for the decision to be overturned and I can't see shithouse Atkinson doing that. I think it's hight time a club took legal action against the FA ? no organization should be that unaccountable.
Keith Glazzard
17   Posted 01/10/2011 at 22:42:33

I'm no gambler, but I'd put the house on no action being taken against Atkinson and Jack serving a 3 match ban. Respect? My arse.

Moyes said that this person had been sent to both training grounds during the week. What was that about? And what happened at theirs, and ours? Was it something we said? Or perhaps didn't say. Perhaps like Clattenberg before him, he got a personal audience from Stevie GBH.

Anyway Ken, from early indications it looks like its not only Evertonians who have seen the injustice of it all today. Fat lot of good that will do us I know, but we are right.
Brendan O'Doherty
18   Posted 01/10/2011 at 22:54:11

Over 8 hours after the final whistle, and having had time to calm down and reflect.....it still hurts like hell that we were cheated by a diving kopite and disgraceful excuse for a referee.

I suppose there were some positives; Saha looked lively for one,and I was just wishing that he would get one of those chances on his left foot. Secondly, it was a fantastic penalty save by TH - top marks. We were well in control of that game before the 'incident', and may well have gone on to win it.

It's still difficult to swallow though.

Steve Carter
19   Posted 01/10/2011 at 23:11:19

Justifiably strong words for your usually understated self, Ken. Don't think anybody has noted it, but Carroll plainly pushed Baines to get into position for his goal, who otherwise would have been with him when the cross came over. Can't blame anyone but ourselves for the unlucky second though.
Paul Olsen
20   Posted 01/10/2011 at 23:21:08

Might add another postive, the dribbling skills of Drenthe is quite a sight, i think he will be ready to start a game very soon.

Howard, Excellent baines decent, Jags needs a few games on the bench, two more horrid mistakes today, Hibbo, good.

Rodwell was doing well until the sending off, Felli mostly good, Osman not very visible today, Coleman had a really poor game offensively, Cahill, well he does his thing and was ok. Saha, not quite there yet, but went close a couple of times. Would have scored atleast twice if he was on form

Good sub from Drenthe, Neville was so-so and Vellios never really got time to make any impact today
Derek Thomas
21   Posted 01/10/2011 at 23:07:05

On the very rare times that the FA ( well initialed on a number of fronts ) DO recind stuff it happens pretty Quick or not at all. Especially if there is a big media hoo har, which usually means one of the so called big clubs players are in the frame.

But I will not be holding my breathe, main reason being, that the FA cannot do a Clattenburg for every Reff that shits on us because soon there will be none left to ref our games....It's no wonder we're bitter.

On performance note Moyes sent out a team that in formation and intent that was worlds apart from City, and for 25 mins it showed...NO BACKSLIDING DAVIE.

Three players; Carrol, Suarez and Bellamy.

Carrol, In the pig and whistle Brisbane the blue accord was what a big 35mill waste of space...my reflection this morning is that if ' ALL ' he does, as in Ken's discription, is tap it in well 20 or so off them is well worth the price. Though to be fair it was a well struck volley from about 8 or 10 yards and aia have seen plenty of those go over the bar or skid off the foot.

Suarez, or sourarse as some one called himis, again as someone else stated is example and a poor one at that of all that is sick in the game with his diving.

Bellamy; I like him and think he would have took to our team ethos like a duck to water. Sourarse was trying to bringing the officials notice to the missiles, when Bellamy was taking a corner and getting the same treatment he was laughing about it.

Yet again we are done over;

R.S. !! why are we suprised? you get exactly what it says on the tin.
Bob Parrington
22   Posted 02/10/2011 at 00:32:00

Dick #4 You're so right on this. Everton should appeal this one as there will be no action otherwise. Atkinson should be severely reprimanded. The problem is the FA doesn't have the balls to do it.

Watched the game on Foxtel here in Adelaide. The tackle was shown maanyyyy! times as the commentators were flabergasted with Atkinson's decision. It didn't even warrant a yellow. Saurez's cheating makes him fit in well with the RS.
COYB
Peter Barry
23   Posted 02/10/2011 at 04:29:48

The English Premier League is watched all over the world , I myself watch here in Bali, and expats and locals alike were disgusted and dismayed by the cheating pantomime actions of Suarez and the ineptitude or maybe bias of the Referee. The FA need to be careful if the feeling gets established that their officials cannot be trusted and that they can ruin games like this cretin Atkinson did then they will choose not to watch the Premier League as many locals I was with threatened to do but switch to the Spanish or Italian League broadcasts. That will hit them where it hurts in the pocket as its obvious appealing to their sense of justice will have no effect.

Peter Barry
24   Posted 02/10/2011 at 04:31:11

Everton 0 Atkinson 2 that's about all that can be said about a Match that was over as a game when a dirty diving Suarez influenced an incompetent (or maybe more malign than that) Referee. If the FA wants any respect they should rescind Rodwells Red Card immediately and announce a ban on Suarez for diving and punitive action against a useless Referee. But will they take action well we all know the answer to that, not a chance.
Chris Halliday
25   Posted 02/10/2011 at 09:07:28

I hope the club come out today and demand an apology from the refs union or even the ref himself. fuck the fines and our good reputation in the game, we need to kick up a storm..can you imagine the fuss the shite would make if it happened to them?

why does it always happen to us!!

thought the boys did well but disappointed with the goals. we were weak on both counts and felt throughout the game that we allowed too many crosses to come in the box and shots on goal as we don't seem to close players down quick enough. anyone else feel like we defend to casualy at times?
Richard Dodd
26   Posted 02/10/2011 at 10:08:11

A referee pal ? an Evertonian ? tells me that officials are now mandated to red card `two footed tackles`whatever their outcome.

That being the case, I guess Atkinson had no option. The law is an ass!
Peter O'Connor
27   Posted 02/10/2011 at 11:44:41

The red card wasn't the only decision biased in favour of the redshire.

Cahill's booking when both players went in identically studs to studs -- just the redshite Adam, like his baby sister Suarez, screamed like a stuck pig.

I would rather we got nothing than play like that.
Dennis Stevens
28   Posted 02/10/2011 at 12:12:27

The only way for the authorities to tackle cheating at the top level is to review incidents & apply punishments retrospectively. If it becomes apparent that behaviour such as we saw yesterday would be dealt with severely it may gradually change the standards that players perform to. The punishments should not be fines, as the cash is meaningless to those involved, it has to be a combination of points deduction & player suspension. Then this sort of despicable cheating will rightly be seen as a liability rather than an asset. I won't hold my breath awaiting any such action on the part of the authorities - they're just as corrupt!
Peter Cummo
29   Posted 02/10/2011 at 13:43:56

I have just finished surfing the net about what happened yesterday, and 99% of the comments including Phil McNulty, Steve McManaman, ALL the sports 'pundits' agreed that not even a yellow card was justified here let alone a red; the other 10%, guess who they support???
Paul Holden
30   Posted 02/10/2011 at 17:07:08

I was working so had to turn down ticket in Upper Bullens (gutted). Bit short of a full house... Any ideas why? I know, early kick-off and tele, but still surprised.
Andrew Rimmer
31   Posted 02/10/2011 at 18:30:13

Paul #30. Boring football! That's why there wasn't a full house. How many times can people go to watch displays like the blues have given against the likes of Reading, Wigan and worst of all City!
Michael Kenrick
32   Posted 02/10/2011 at 19:59:32

Sorry lads but I don't think you can draw any serious conclusions based on crowd size... you have to go back four years since we last topped the 40k mark in the Goodison derby:

2011-12: 39,510
2010-11: 39,673
2009-10: 39,652
2008-09: 39,574
2007-08: 40,049
Martin Handley
33   Posted 02/10/2011 at 21:40:41

On a more appalling note, the FA are taking action against Everton because that horrible bastard Suarez made a big deal about some objects thrown at him by the Street End... No, I do not condone the morons who did it.

Bellamy got far worse 5 minutes later and fair play to him just shrugged it off, laughed and got on with it.
But one last plea to the pricks that did throw coins/bottles etc? well done, you're just the type on morons we don't want.

Bob Parrington
34   Posted 03/10/2011 at 01:37:32

Well put Martin #33. The problem is that wankers like Atkinson create the atmosphere that messes with people's emotions and some can't control their frustration. I'm not making excuses for them as their behaviour is not acceptable. However, Atkinson has more to answer for than immediately meets the eye. He should be heavily reprimanded, to the point where he is given a red card and thus a 3 match ban. Also, he should NEVER agin be selected to referee a Merseyside derby.
COYB
Seamus Murphy
35   Posted 03/10/2011 at 02:53:36

Jags has turned into an absolute liability.
John Ballinger
36   Posted 03/10/2011 at 10:53:02

Spot-on Ken with your comments about referees egos being the root of the problem. You could see from Atkinson's whole demeanour and body-language that he believed himself to be more important than the occasion - I'm a celebrity ref he'd be thinking and I'll ally myself with "celebrity" players rather than a good honest local lad playing his heart out with consumate skill. Shame on you Atkinson!
Peter Cummo
37   Posted 03/10/2011 at 11:45:11

I think that, far from overturning the red, the FA mafia will (again) penalise the club for the moronic actions of a few idiots instead of punishing the histrionics and arrogance of the little piece of South American crap who ruined a potentially exciting game along with an equally arrogant 'FA official'.
Jamie Barlow
38   Posted 03/10/2011 at 16:23:10

Richard@26. It wasn't a two footed challenge.
Alasdair Mackay
39   Posted 03/10/2011 at 21:24:56

When they brought Gerrard off the bench I think the RS actually had a club record 4 players on the pitch at the same time that belong in prison (the others being Suarez, Carroll and Bellamy)!
James Lauwervine
40   Posted 04/10/2011 at 13:29:46

Jamie #38 you are correct. Clearly a one-footed clean challenge. The more I see of it (and I should stop) the more I believe it was Suarez's yelp/scream that made Rodwell hold his head in shock and then Atkinson show the red. Doesn't excuse the latter at all, but there is huge blame on Suarez.

I look forward to when he has something to really scream about - in the return fixture!