Season › 2014-15 › News
New two-year deal for Hibbert
The 33-year-old's current deal expired yesterday and there was speculation linking him with a move to West Bromwich Albion where former Everton Academy Director, Alan Irvine, has taken the reins.
A one-club man, Hibbert looks likely to finish his playing career at Goodison, though, where his experience and mentoring influence on the Blues' younger players is seen as important by Roberto Martinez.
Reader Comments (45)
Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer
2 Posted 01/07/2014 at 21:17:03
3 Posted 01/07/2014 at 21:28:02
ItÂs not helping Roberto being in Brazil, working for ESPN — he should be back home overseeing new signings.
4 Posted 01/07/2014 at 21:34:44
By the way, I donÂt think Barry should have a three-year deal. I canÂt see anyone else giving him one.
5 Posted 01/07/2014 at 21:44:51
6 Posted 01/07/2014 at 21:50:24
7 Posted 01/07/2014 at 21:48:39
We know we need at least 2 if not 3 forwards, a couple of midfielders, and a couple of defenders Roberto get back and get moving.
8 Posted 01/07/2014 at 21:55:59
He will likely take his coaching badges over the next couple of years and then stick around at Finch Farm long-term as part of Roberto's backroom staff.
9 Posted 01/07/2014 at 22:14:28
10 Posted 01/07/2014 at 23:03:50
Tony was very much the burning oil type of footballer during Moyes's tenure: limited abilities but wholehearted and always gives 100%.
That said, I would love it if he ever did manage to score... Wouldn't we all just riot!!?!?
11 Posted 02/07/2014 at 01:23:48
With our wage budget, thereÂs no room for loyalty contracts; we have enough aging players as it is. We should have used this opportunity to wish Hibbo All the Best, then let him move on.
12 Posted 02/07/2014 at 01:29:02
Again, sorry, Tony, as you have been a great servant... but we have no money so we shouldnÂt give away free loyalty contracts.
13 Posted 02/07/2014 at 03:35:46
As such, we need some wise old heads like Osman and Hibbert to guide the youngsters. Plus, would you rather have Barkley and Co being guided by one-club true blues or by journeymen mercenaries?
14 Posted 02/07/2014 at 04:19:12
RM has gone down in the judgement stakes for me after this one.
15 Posted 02/07/2014 at 06:15:46
16 Posted 02/07/2014 at 08:02:22
17 Posted 02/07/2014 at 09:29:14
I have faith in Martinez but IÂm not sure if he is going to be able to pull another rabbit out of the hat with signings like Barry, Lukaku and Deulofeu on the last day of the transfer window again. We need a top striker and a central midfielder as a priority. IÂd rather some of our kids had a go than bringing in some journeymen but we are reaching the 11th hour again.
Last year, we had to put up with Jelavic as our striker for the first few games; against WBA at home he gave away three fouls and four offsides in the first 70 minutes before being replaced, thatÂs a free kick every 10 minutes to the opposition.
Arguably the tepid draws in our first few games cost us a Champions League spot. Signing Hibbo is a no-brainer with the extra games in Europe, but I donÂt enjoy transfer windows.
18 Posted 02/07/2014 at 10:34:21
I predict a harder season. Man Utd will be better, so will all the other top 4 teams.
20 Posted 02/07/2014 at 11:08:08
Personally, I don't give a monkey's what the lot across the park do, but it does irk that we are yet to sign anyone and seem to leave it till the last possible moment when it's virtually impossible to fully integrate new players into the squad. It would be good to get new bods signed and in the door.
21 Posted 02/07/2014 at 11:28:23
Chuffed for Hibbo. Why should we begrudge him his right to another 㾶k-a-week contract? We need numbers for Thursday nights.
22 Posted 02/07/2014 at 11:49:02
23 Posted 02/07/2014 at 11:51:55
I know he said a few weeks back that most of our business would be towards the end of the transfer window. Now is that to save paying players for July when they don't exactly start playing till mid-August? Or is it because our manager will still be working for ESPN till nearly the end of July?
24 Posted 02/07/2014 at 12:04:32
25 Posted 02/07/2014 at 12:06:48
26 Posted 02/07/2014 at 12:10:59
27 Posted 02/07/2014 at 12:15:16
28 Posted 02/07/2014 at 12:17:25
He will be used for the Europa League games and cup matches probably and if, God forbid, anything happens to Coleman, who is going to stand in? An untried youngster? Or Stones, who looked shite when played there?
Good bit of business in my eyes.
29 Posted 02/07/2014 at 12:35:44
A two-year contract, for someone who has played seven Premier League games in the last two seasons, is absurd. We could have got a top Championship defender, or lesser Prem defender (Simpson or Ridgewell? – wasn't he on a free?) for next to nothing, who could have been a better stand-in at a younger age.
I liked Hibbert, but he is 33 now, is limited, and has barely featured of late. He should have been given a one-year deal, or we should have let him go.
I think the lack of transfers in a World Cup year is usual, but Martinez's job for ESPN is a little frustrating despite the World Cup context. His interactions with the Dutch squad suggest he is doing some World Cup scouting at least (or was).
I'm personally hanging on to an optimistic theory: We are waiting for Belgium to get eliminated so we can work out a deal for Lukaku, or at the very least, waiting to see if he will be available once the World Cup has finished.
If we do not spend 㿊-40mil this summer, it will go down for me as one of the biggest BK letdowns. We will receive around 㿊mil extra in TV money, have made a massive profit on transfer dealings, and have cut wages and trimmed the squad admirably. BK has been poor for us of late but, even with our financial issues, we can afford a good outlay this summer, and deserve it as well.
30 Posted 02/07/2014 at 12:53:23
31 Posted 02/07/2014 at 12:58:30
We needed to shake his hand and lead him to the door.
32 Posted 02/07/2014 at 13:15:31
33 Posted 02/07/2014 at 13:26:42
Imagine a Europa League fixture against average opposition with a defensive line consisting of Garbutt on the left, Browning and Stones in the middle, and a seasoned Hibbo on the right. Looking forward to it!
And to those criticising Roberto's presence at the World Cup, do you really think he would sacrifice the possibility of future success at Everton for few weeks of work/holiday in Brazil? I don't see any problem at all with his engagement. He will still be able to work, and scout, for us while he's there.
We have a case in the PL where a club's manager is not only at the World Cup, but in fact managing one of the teams. And they still make signings. Martinez could do the same if he wanted to. A bigger obstacle is that lots of players and agents are holding out until after the competition, hoping for a boost to transfer value and wages.
34 Posted 02/07/2014 at 17:03:34
So, over the next 2 years, weÂll pay out ٠-3M for a 3rd choice RB whoÂll hardly play – not too impressed with that at all. Surely a one-year deal with an option for one more would have been better.
If he was actually going to play regularly then it wouldnÂt be an issue. WeÂre far too soft when it comes to old players, the likes of Weir, Stubbs, Cahill, Saha etc all kept on well past their sell-by dates.
(Before people go on about extra games in the Europa League, there are only 6 extra games to play until the end of February – hardly a massive extra load.)
35 Posted 02/07/2014 at 17:31:47
Only thing we don't know about is the non-playing influence he has at the club, for example during training. If he genuinely adds value to our young players, then I'd say its worth it. Otherwise, I think a poor decision.
37 Posted 03/07/2014 at 04:50:11
It should be a riot of a season!
38 Posted 03/07/2014 at 12:12:39
39 Posted 03/07/2014 at 18:39:57
40 Posted 03/07/2014 at 18:52:45
All due respect mate.
If Hibbert is not in the mould RM is looking for,who do you think made the decision to give him the 2 year contract?
41 Posted 03/07/2014 at 18:58:04
42 Posted 03/07/2014 at 19:04:52
Roberto has give him the two year player contract though.Not two year coaching contract,so he must be the backup to Seamus
43 Posted 03/07/2014 at 19:18:27
44 Posted 03/07/2014 at 23:38:30
I suspect he'll be with us for one more season due to the volume of games (hopefully) ahead this season.
45 Posted 04/07/2014 at 00:28:23
Surely some wisdom there to be handed down to the youngsters, and I'm pretty sure Seamus would be first to celebrate his influence. For that alone, long may he be around.
47 Posted 04/07/2014 at 01:35:10
48 Posted 04/07/2014 at 01:40:50
Sign Gareth Barry too.
Add Your Comments
In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.
Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.


1 Posted 01/07/2014 at 21:11:37