32comments  |  Jump to last
Share:
This article may have been recategorised and is therefore no longer available at this URL.

You can try to find the updated link in the article archive.

Reader Comments (32)

Gordon White
1 Posted 05/06/2019 at 07:58:22
Enjoyed reading this thank you. Couldn't agree more.
Liam Reilly
2 Posted 05/06/2019 at 08:49:23
Represented to club very well both in and off the field and has the respect of I suspect, most supporters.

It's the right decision though, as the club needs to move away from this nice 'peoples club' (God I hate that term) mentality.

Seamus now is the natural successor but wouldn't mind a number 2 with some 'bite in him, as the club is seriously lacking in that department.

Ajay Gopal
3 Posted 05/06/2019 at 10:19:51
Lyndon, let me congratulate you on the latest of a series of wonderful articles with "The . " as the theme (Machine/Renaissance/Misfit/Priority) over the past 3-4 months.

All the very best to Jagielka who has been an embodiment of professionalism, dignity, competitiveness and has earned Everton respect over the years. He was the quintessential Moyes signing - relatively cheap, with something to prove, the right work ethic, grounded, team player, a fans favourite, would never rock the boat. One of a dying breed too footballers.

Si Smith
4 Posted 05/06/2019 at 11:35:06
R.E Ajay above 👏👏👏

Proud to have had Phil as our captain, good luck to him in the future.

David Pearl
5 Posted 05/06/2019 at 13:22:48
I'm actually surprised that he had to wait so long before the club confirmed his departure. He obviously wanted to stay. I remember Graeme Sharp saying he'd only ever be a squad player when he first joined. He was written off every year for the last 5 years but never let us down. He did used to start the seasons a bit slow for some reason but always came back to form. Great partnerships, a few great goals. I hope he plays on for another couple of years. It's time for Keane to take over his mantle as far as I'm concerned, and I'd make him vice captain.
James Lauwervine
6 Posted 05/06/2019 at 13:35:13
Another great article Lyndon. As mentioned, it is a great pity that Jags (and selected others) gave so much to the club but never got to lift a trophy. Ajay has already eloquently expressed why.
I wish him the best of luck. I don't think he'll go to Sheff Utd but have no doubt there'll be other clubs interested in him.
Rick Tarleton
7 Posted 05/06/2019 at 13:37:30
Not one of the "yard dog" central defenders, there was even a little of the Corinthian about him. He was a credit to the club and always a man of integrity.
Alex Parr
8 Posted 05/06/2019 at 14:02:40
Always thought Jags was a great guy, if maybe a little past his best lately. But I would definitely wish him well wherever he ends up, and hope to see him again at Goodison one day perhaps as a coach.
James Stewart
9 Posted 05/06/2019 at 15:33:22
Excellent and fitting tribute piece to one of the best Everton signings in my lifetime.

I never quite agreed with the decision to make him Captain but that does not detract from what a fine player and model professional Jagielka is/was. The club should have acted with more clarity and dignity with such a distinguished player. Ditto Baines. The fact that Jagielka announced it first via his social media long after the last game of the season is a real lack of class from the club.

Alan Rooney
10 Posted 05/06/2019 at 15:40:32
I'm pretty sure I heard him say during an interview that his surname was pronounced with a hard 'J', rather than a soft 'Y'.
Kevin Prytherch
11 Posted 05/06/2019 at 15:52:23
James - Jagielka might have asked to announce it now ahead of the official “released players” announcement on Friday. It’s not necessarily a lack of class.

Also, who’s to know whether the decision has only just been made. They could have still been contemplating an extension at the last game.

Personally, I’m hoping this means there is a centre back lined up, or it’s a poor decision to let good cover go.

Paul McCoy
12 Posted 05/06/2019 at 15:54:38
Sad to see him go, but time catches up with us all eventually. The back four of Baines - Distin - Jags - Coleman was as solid as anything I’ve seen in my time supporting Everton (although I’m only 38...)
Kevin Prytherch
13 Posted 05/06/2019 at 16:20:12
I remember when Lescott signed for City and someone (Kendall I think) was asked whether city had signed the best centre back in England. His response was

“Best centre back in England? He’s not even the best centre back at Everton”

Mike Gaynes
14 Posted 05/06/2019 at 16:30:07
Superb article, Lyndon, and some outstanding posts in response.

The Kop goal was the defining instant of his career (I watched it in my living room with fellow Oregon TWer Paul Columb, and jumped over the couch). But he will always be special to me personally for the fact that on the emotional day when I first visited Goodison, he scored the gamewinner against Leicester... a crashing header off a corner. And the following week against Burnley, he scored again and capped the moment with a cartwheel down the end line. Joyous moments.

Alan #10, he specifically addressed this in an interview last January, confirming that the hard "J" used by most people and even his teammates was what he considered his football or stage name, but that "Yag-yelka" is correct: https://www.90min.com/posts/5959696-everton-captain-jagielka-reveals-why-he-s-fine-with-everyone-mispronouncing-his-name

Jay Harris
15 Posted 05/06/2019 at 16:38:18
A fitting article and tribute to a great servant.

What a wonderful example to all young footballers on how to conduct yourself.

The man oozed class on and off the pitch.

Its just a pity he hasnt got a winners medal to go with his England caps and captaincy of Everton.

I hope a testimonial is being planned, maybe a Jags 11 against a Bainesy 11 would be appropriate.

Tom Bowers
16 Posted 05/06/2019 at 16:43:26
One can only say good things about him and it's sad that a great professional as consistent as they come did not win anything throughout his career and some players not yet shaving win trophies and medals. Just the wrong teams at the wrong time.

I'm not surprised by the announcement as we all know age is the main reason. I like to think that even if Zouma is a non-starter that Everton do have someone else in mind to fill the void apart from Holgate.

Tim Taylor
17 Posted 05/06/2019 at 16:48:28
Nice article very well put and as others have said a fitting tribute. Thanks
Peter Mills
18 Posted 05/06/2019 at 17:08:21
A typically eloquent and fitting article Lyndon, thank you.

Jags has been an excellent player for us. And in an era when we have had little to cheer, his penalty against Man Utd (when he took surely the faster ever run up to a spot kick) led to to a few minutes of joyous delirium at Wembley.

Steve Hogan
19 Posted 05/06/2019 at 20:06:28
Sadly, he joins a long list of Everton 'captains' who never quite managed to win a trophy with the club. Outside of Goodison, I don't think he got the recognition his overall ability warranted, over the 11 years he was with us, I struggle to think of too many poor/bad games he had, bearing in mind he played in some pretty poor sides over that period.

He was often criticised for not being 'vocal' enough, but again I think it's a little unfair. I thought the strongest centre back pairing was him and the much maligned Lescott.

Think it was the Anfield derby cup tie some years ago, at a time when Torres was probably the best centre forward in europe, they simply never gave him a kick all game, they both had tremendous pace, such was their dominance.

It saddens me a little when I hear of the 'legend' status given to Snodin and Graham Stuart, who both spent very few years at the club compared to Jags, the only difference is that they finished their career's with a trophy.

A proper unsung hero, best of luck to whatever he decides to do next.

Paul Birmingham
20 Posted 05/06/2019 at 20:55:26
Tremendous servant, and it’s seems 5 mins since he joined us and was in midfield. A model professional, Jags will always be welcome at EFC.

Good luck Jags and all the best for the future.

Les Newsham
21 Posted 05/06/2019 at 21:39:11
Thank you Jags.
Is it true he heard by Twitter that he was being let go? I do hope not.
Keith Harrison
22 Posted 05/06/2019 at 22:15:57
Dateline: September 2014. Place: The sports Bar on the Bahia Principe complex, Tenerife - 10.30 am their time. Celtic had just finished against Kilmarnock?, the Ryder Cup was on, and I was surrounded by Celts and Kopites, including a brother and his brother in law. The single Evertonian in a packed place. I took dogs abuse all game which trebled after Gerrard scored a soft goal "Floodgates open now lad" "Still time to get 5" etc etc.

Browning played a ball in, headed out to McGeady, ball in again, headed out to Jagielka.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT???????

An Exocet launched off the outside of Jags right boot almost took the net off.

Total silence - broken only by my hysterical scream of YERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS (after I had waited for it to be disallowed for too hard a shot, or no goals outside the box etc)

A few laps of honour followed before I slid across the floor on my knees, arms aloft, to where my brother and mate sat.

I had, of course, forgotten that I was wearing flip flops and shorts. Cue blistered knees and bruised big toe!

Thanks Jags, for one of the most truly uplifting moments in my life. The rest of the holiday was a kopite baiting gas!

I can remember him being played in midfield, then right back and quite honestly being poor, before settling into centre defence at the time when Moyes didn't play Baines either, and had Lescott at left back. When they were finally moved in to the middle of defence, they came into their own.

Good luck in the future skipper, and it would be magnificent of the club if they could organise a pre-season friendly testimonial for you to give you the send off you deserve.

Christopher Timmins
23 Posted 06/06/2019 at 07:58:43
Thanks Jags for all the years of fine service to the club. You will be missed!
Tony Everan
24 Posted 06/06/2019 at 09:14:44
He has been a stalwart for us for years, Mr Dependable. With all the shit that has blown around the club over the last few years Jag's is still a constant. We could always rely on him when in need. He has been a force for good at Everton for a long time, through thick and thin, and he goes with the appreciation of all Evertonians.

Thanks and good luck Phil.

Paul Bernard
25 Posted 06/06/2019 at 15:37:43
Keith @22, I too didn't celebrate the moment it hit the net. I was waiting for something to go wrong. That in effect is what being a blue has done to me when it comes to facing the devils favourite clients.

I sort of sat on my granddads couch with this burst of joy trapped inside.

Mike Gaynes
26 Posted 06/06/2019 at 15:51:26
Great story, Keith!
Matthew Williams
27 Posted 07/06/2019 at 11:56:23
Best of luck wherever you end up Jags.
John Boon
28 Posted 08/06/2019 at 01:25:54
When we first signed Jags we were mainly interested in his versatility and ability to plain in mid or defense. The experts soon realized that he was a defender and a very good one. As a multi long supporter I feel that he was right up there with our very best. More important he didn't need to do any more than play his position to a very high degree of excellence. To me he was a true Evertonian, a first class gentlemsn and a very good player. We need many more like him rather than over paid pansies who only think about pay days.
Derek Taylor
29 Posted 08/06/2019 at 09:00:50
If Mina ends up as his replacement, gawd help us. More money badly spent but Moshiri seems to have plenty of it so what matters ?
Ernie Baywood
30 Posted 10/06/2019 at 00:18:59
Great servant and always comes across as a really good bloke.

I remember not being convinced about him. Seemed to be playing 'above' himself. But then he just kept on doing it until you realised that was the player he was. All action, brave, committed, last ditch stuff was the norm.

For a few seasons it's not exaggerating to say he was absolutely outstanding.

Good luck to him.

Andrew James
31 Posted 23/06/2019 at 00:36:55
Love Jags and always will. Always had the ability to surprise you by doing something out of expectation.

Special player who was loyal. Best centre half since Ratcliffe.

James Marshall
32 Posted 24/06/2019 at 12:44:27
Great player for us, rarely let us down and barely made any mistakes during his 12 years. Quality, long serving footballers are a dying breed and Jags s certainly that.

I was in deepest, darkest Borneo in a shitty bar when he twatted the ball into the RS net from 30 yards for that equaliser, and I'll never forget the stunned silence apart from me and one other blue who's name I forget now. The house-band even stopped playing we made so much noise. Cheers Jags.