Young Blues trio sign new contracts

Thursday, 14 December, 2017 0comments  |  Jump to last
Everton have moved to secure the futures of Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Mason Holgate and Jonjoe Kenny by handing the three players new deals.

The club have announced that Kenny and Holgate have put pen to paper on new contracts that tie them to Goodison Park until June 2022 while Calvert-Lewin has signed on until the summer of 2023.

The improved and extended terms are a reward for their impressive recent performances in the first team and an acknowledgement that all three are important members of the Blues' squad.

Calvert-Lewin, 20, was acquired last year in a £1.1m deal from Sheffield United and had been expected to spend time in the Blues Under-23s setup while he honed his craft.

He was blooded ahead of schedule by Ronald Koeman last term, however, and has been asked to take centre stage this season following the departure of Romelu Lukaku and has scored six times in all competitions and registered four assists in the Premier League.

“It's an exciting time to be here and, for me, learning from players such as Wayne Rooney couldn't be better for my ongoing development,” Calvert-Lewin said.

Holgate, an acquisition from Barnsley two years ago for a reported £1m, has been used primarily as an emergency fullback under the last two Everton managers but has been excelling recently in his preferred role as a centre-half.

Like Calvert-Lewin, his new deal is a one-year extension to his existing contract and he said of the news:

“It is a good time to be young at Everton. You get a lot of chances. Every now and then, clubs get a spurt of players from the same generation coming through and hopefully that is what is happening here.”

Kenny, meanwhile, has come through Everton's renowned Finch Farm youth system having joined the club as a nine-year-old. He was one of the five Blues players who played in England's Under-20 World Cup-winning team this past summer and has been a more than able deputy for the injured Seamus Coleman in recent weeks.

He has agreed to a three-year extension on his previous deal which was set to expire in 2019.

“I want to stay at Everton for as long as I can but I know I've got to keep on playing week in, week out, playing well and impressing,” he said.  




About these ads