Reader Comments (26)

David Pearl
1 Posted 09/12/2018 at 20:54:05
Oh dear, Tom, hang in there.

In 1977, closing in on the final whistle of our final replay against Aston Villa in the League Cup Final, pacing up and down my grandparents' kitchen off Rose Lane, I informed my dad that, if we didn't win, l was switching to Nottm Forest.

It took a couple more days of pondering... and, baring a 3-year period, I've regretted my decision ever since. Being an Evertonian, however, toughened me up and sharpened my wits. He will remember his first game, and so will you. Coyb

Stan Schofield
2 Posted 09/12/2018 at 22:10:23
I wouldn't try to get him to support or keep supporting Everton. Simply take him to matches, so long as he's happy to go, and he'll either get hooked or he won't. In other words, Everton will either choose him or it won't.

It's not a case of him choosing, because support is not a rational decision, but rather something that grabs you and gets in your blood, or doesn't.

Danny Broderick
3 Posted 10/12/2018 at 05:44:19
I live down south and I have an 8-year-old who is a mad Evertonian. I love our β€˜dad and lad' days when I take him up to Goodison, I wouldn't swap them for the world.

I have told my lad that we also support Barcelona, even if I couldn't care less about Barcelona really! And his mum is French, so he has been wearing an Mbappe French top since the summer.

If I'm honest, I'm careful when giving him his kit for after-school football. When Everton have done okay, it's a no-brainer, he wears his Everton kit. Last week, it was either the French kit or the Barcelona kit!

He does get a bit of stick for supporting Everton sometimes, but he gives as good as he gets. And I always tell him, if anyone gives you stick, tell them at least you've been to lots of games with your dad. 99% of the glory hunting fans down here have barely been to a game in their lives.

Keep the faith – but just have a standby β€˜other' kit at the ready for his kids football training when results aren't going our way!

Liam Reilly
4 Posted 10/12/2018 at 07:17:20
I've two boys Tom, 6 & 7 and I wrote a very similar article about a year ago; as in, Do I really want my kids to suffer the lows of supporting Everton?

I've supported the club for 40 years and so I enjoyed the success of the mid-80s but, to most of our younger supporters today, success is beating one of the top 6 at home. Other than a couple of semis and a final, there's been little else to shout about since 1995.

I decided to allow them to make their own decisions on whom to support. Everton is my pleasure but often my pain and it's got to be a personal choice as to who they support (once it's not our loveable neighbours).

Andrew Leverton
5 Posted 10/12/2018 at 07:27:48
My 11-year-old loves the fact that he supports a different team to his peers. I have told him when our time comes it will be all the sweeter, after years of pain.
Brian Murray
6 Posted 10/12/2018 at 08:16:10
My first season was 69-70. I thought, wow, this is great being a Blue, I was even thrown on the pitch when we clinched the league vs West Brom.

After that, as a 9-year-old, I never forgave my dad beating in the FA Cup semi-final by the Shiesters in 71. I cried my eyes out after being in heaven when Ball made it one-nil.

If I had my time again, I doubt I would've put me and now my kids through all this crap. I suppose we are what we are... πŸ˜‚

Amit Vithlani
7 Posted 10/12/2018 at 12:20:58
Tom, my sympathies. I have been through the same anguish. My lad – having been a faithful Evertonian until the age of about 7, started to develop his own identity in taste when it came to football. It was partly to "fit in", but also because he likes to be independent and was hell-bent on not following the same team as his old man!

However, I am patient. I told him he has been chosen by Everton, and in time he will return to the fold.

Stan's suggestion @ 2 is a good one (I wish I lived nearby to implement it myself). If your lad enjoys going to matches, then I am sure, eventually, he will once again believe in the Blue creed.

Thomas Lennon
8 Posted 10/12/2018 at 12:36:12
I was brought up in Halewood, used to walk our dog up Finch Lane, and I was one of only two blues in my class in Secondary School in the 1970s. You don't have to live far away from Liverpool to have problems of fitting in with your peers.

My daughters were brought up in South Manchester. I too have lovely memories of driving down the M62, scarves out the window, and sucking on Everton mints.

Her first match was Boxing Day 1999 when we won 5-0 (https://www.skysports.com/football/everton-vs-sland/278292). Never looked back but then again I never pressured her, she was chosen.

James Lauwervine
9 Posted 10/12/2018 at 12:40:16
I also sympathise, Tom. I have three sons and they've grown up with us living in Oxfordshire. For me, it was never an option that they wouldn't support Everton.

It was not easy when they were very young for the reasons you've given but I absolutely sealed the deal when I took the eldest two to Goodison for the first time, aged 8 and 6. They were blown away by the sights, sounds and feel of the place.

The first time you climb the steps and emerge into the stadium with all its power, light and glory and that magnificent pitch has a deep effect and my boys certainly felt it.

Ever since then I've not really had any problem and they're all three confirmed blues (the youngest followed his elders). I hope your boy's first visit has the same impact on him.

Tony J Williams
10 Posted 10/12/2018 at 12:58:06
My 3-year-old daughter is already going about trying to break her daddy's heart.

"I love Liverpool", is all I get know, because they play in red, which along with pink is her favourite colour.

Father-in-law is a Red... heartbreaking, I tells yer!!!!

Ajay Timothy
11 Posted 10/12/2018 at 13:15:51
Tom. I attended the New York City fanfest this Saturday and, even though Everton were not playing, I saw hundreds of fans, especially kids, from the Sky Six adorning their clubs' kits. What amazed me was that there were even Brighton, Watford, Leicester and even West Brom shirts.

I thought surely with Tim Howard's presence, albeit in the past, we would have a bigger presence but I just do not understand why we are not even an after-thought, especially with the younger generation. Surely we are bigger than the likes of Crystal Palace and West Ham?

Peter Warren
12 Posted 10/12/2018 at 13:35:38
Let him support who he wants; he will eventually decide when he's older β€” just pray it's not the dark side...
Andy Darron
13 Posted 10/12/2018 at 13:47:59
My heart goes out to you, Tom.

I had a very similar experience myself when my lads were younger. I recall spending a lot of energy getting my first son to run around the house chanting 'Rooney, Rooney!' everytime any footballer came on to the TV. Very smug with myself – until the inevitable happened – and I had to retrain him to stop doing it!!

Fortunately, I live close enough to have been able to take them to the game quite a bit – which really made the difference. They then had the high ground and could always use the 'do you go the game though?' refrain with their 'top 4/5/6' following schoolmates. Not easy if you live further away though.

Some things that might help though. That wonderful BBC video on the History of Everton. Everything you need to know to inspire a young fan from Dixie's 60, to the Golden Vision, to the under-soil heating! Because of that video I couldn't speak when I got the chance to meet Dave Hickson once – despite only having ever seen him play on old clips.

And as for the threat of perennial under-achievers, Spurs – your son has the upper hand already. He needs to say "You do know that we have won a lot more trophies than you – ever – don't you?"

Mike Gaynes
14 Posted 10/12/2018 at 15:22:21
Tom, has it occurred to you that this may be karma for shattering your own father's Forest-loving heart?

I'm with James. Get him to a game.

Ajay, it was just the circumstances of Everton not playing. Yanks are quite practical. We're not going to attend a Fan Fest when our club isn't participating.

Ajay Timothy
15 Posted 10/12/2018 at 18:24:49
I know, Mike, but I saw Watford fans walking around and that is what was a little disheartening as they were not playing either.
Steven Kendrew
16 Posted 10/12/2018 at 18:27:01
Lovely article! I am in the same boat with my 3-year-old boy, albeit we live in the Turks and Caicos Islands and only see the matches on cable. I have done the same with kits, etc, with even my kopite cousin buying him an Everton kit when she came to visit.

My mother watched Kendall and Co from the Gwladys Street whilst my Dad living in Southport was a season ticket holder in the Upper Bullens for 15 years until a few years ago.

My answer has been to watch the games with him and throw him in the air when we score (which at least is more often than last season!). He loves that :-). Six years old is about the minimum for games. I once took my stepdaughter at that age and she was more interested in the food... lol.

In the end, he will be chosen or he won't. Que sera, sera!

John Keating
17 Posted 10/12/2018 at 18:28:07
Tom, just quick as I'm off out now.

Take him to a match or two which will hopefully set him on the path of righteousness.

If that fails, 6 years old is still a good age to bin him. If they still do those 10 quid assisted passages to Aussie or Kiwi, then get him one.

Steve Ferns
18 Posted 10/12/2018 at 19:34:47
Yeah going the game is a big thing. Doesn't matter about enjoying the action on the pitch, often it's the action in the stands that enthralls the kids, especially when they are in the family enclosure and hear the rowdy Gwladys Street in full voice. Teaching him the words to all the songs for next time will keep that excitement too.
Brian Murray
19 Posted 11/12/2018 at 07:35:18
Ajay Timothy. Our commercial and merchandising acumen is still very second rate. Case in point: Tim Howard excels at the World Cup and even the president lauds him at the time. What do we do to make the most of a possible big earner? Sod all. Bill's cowboys.com
Hilary Moore
20 Posted 11/12/2018 at 07:53:19
Living in Northants surrounded by glory-hunting Liverpool and United fans at school my son aged 7/8 chose Arsenal better than the other two I thought and decided I'd bide my time and if he never changed he might at least see some success.

My dad and I took him to Goodison to see the Arsenal game for the next few years, saw the Rooney goal, til when he was 11/12 he said he didn't want to go to that game as he wouldn't know who to support. He's now 27 a mad Evertonian – along with his two younger sisters – a season ticket holder, living in London and travelling to games at great expense. I love going to the game with him.

Best bit my Liverpool-supporting son looked up to mine, so also decided to follow Arsenal but he's never changed, so thanks to my boy one less of that lot in the world.

And when you watch rubbish like last night at least he can't blame me too much! My dad and I were so pleased he made the right choice in the end and I'm sure your boy will too.

Hilary Moore
21 Posted 11/12/2018 at 12:25:05
Ha, should have read my Liverpool-supporting brother's son is an Arsenal fan – I certainly don't have a son who supports them!
Tony Pemberton
22 Posted 11/12/2018 at 16:04:25
When I was getting into football, Liverpool were dominating Europe. To my mind, Everton were the underdogs so I supported Everton.

Last seaso,n when Liverpool were going for the Champions League, there was loads of pressure from them to get my son to support Liverpool. I explained to him that, yes, they are good but they're like pigeons, they're everywhere.

The more interesting animals are the rare ones you see. The less common ones.

Andy Meighan
23 Posted 11/12/2018 at 16:33:47
"Daddy, Everton are rubbish."

Well, Tom – one thing is certain: You're not raising a liar!

James Marshall
24 Posted 12/12/2018 at 12:49:41
I don't support the team my family used to support (they're all dead) which would have been Leyton Orient. My son supports Man Utd. I tried to indoctrinate him when he was little, but it didn't work and he went for Utd who were winning everything in those days.

Glory hunting little bastard – he isn't so happy now.

Chris Keightley
25 Posted 13/12/2018 at 12:54:57
I was born near Rochdale and moved to Bedford as a 5-year-old, supported Everton since 1982. My first day at secondary school, I wore an Everton Scarf into school. I was the only Evertonian in the school; it was wrestled from me at break and thrown in a nearby skip. I dug it out of the skip 25 mins after the end of my first day.

Fast forward to 1995 and I'm at Wembley, watching Everton win against Man Utd with four United lads from my school; the journey home was the sweetest I can ever remember. The locals from my pub embraced me like I'd won the Cup myself.

Best supporters in the land and extremely knowledgeable about the game. Unfortunately, I've been unable to convince any of the family to follow Everton – they're Spurs and Scum supporters.

Brian Porter
26 Posted 15/12/2018 at 06:50:49
RED OR BLUE?

When I was 6 years old, long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away, (1959), I had no real understanding or allegiance as far as football was concerned.

One day, my Dad and I were at the home of my Dad's cousin, always known to me as Uncle George. At that time, George was the success story of the family, being the owner of a brand new Ford car, a minor executive with Shell Oil (he went on to much bigger things), and once a year he would pay to take a large section of the Thompson clan to Spain for a holiday, long before the days of package holidays.

So, this day, I was loaded into the back of the car with George and my Dad in front and off we went, to destinations unknown. A short drive later, we pulled up outside the ground of 2nd Division Liverpool FC (I later learned that George seemed to know everyone in Liverpool) and George led the way to the gates. A while later he spoke to someone inside the gates and we were led in and we were allowed to stand on the corner of the terrace and look at the ground. We left soon after. George drove across Stanley Park (not literally) and we arrived at Goodison Park.

I seem to remember George going and knocking on a door somewhere and within minutes a very nice man led us into the ground. Before I knew it, we were walking along beside the pitch and then we were given a tour of the dressing rooms, the trophy room, what I think was the boardroom and basically saw everything there was to see.

This was long before the days of replica kits of course but I was made up, as we were about to leave, to be given a team photo and a football, my first real leather ball.

When we got back to George's house and talked about our trip out, Uncle George asked me which of those two teams I liked the best. It was no contest! That day began my lifelong love affair with Everton FC who even then managed to give a little boy a real treat with no pre-planning involved whereas the other lot only let me stand and look at the pitch.

If you were 6, who would you have chosen to support that day? I've never forgotten George and I like to think I've kept his memory alive by making him a regular character using his real name, in my Mersey Mystery series of mystery novels as the police team's Press Liason Officer, because he always seemed to be a good communicator.

Thanks again, Uncle George, for helping me to find the true path.