The truth at last

Comments (50) jump to end

Mourhino just cant help himself can he? His latest proclamation that he knew many months ago that Alex Ferguson was going to retire at the end of the season, raises the question that if he knew, then surely it stands to reason that the man who would eventually be asked to pick up the reigns must also have known. If Mourhino is telling the truth (that is a big IF with Mr ego), then this casts a huge shadow against the integrity of David Moyes.

How many times last year do you recall him scowling at the journalist who dared question him regarding his refusal to sign a contract at Everton? "Nothing has been decided yet," was his stock answer; "we will sit down at the end of the season and see where we are," was his other favourite answer. On the balance of the evidence, it appears that he had already decided where his future lay.

I am not sure about anybody else, but this has really diminished any grudging respect that I had for Moyes and his move to better things (paraphrasing his own words). Many people gave him the benefit of the doubt in this whole affair. Indeed, some still will. But come on,, this is football we are talking about. It is now obvious that Moyes had probably known about this for at least 6 months. Whether Kenwright knew is open to debate.

Moyes is just another manager who has come and gone. We didn’t win anything under Moyes and I wish him nothing but troubled times ahead at Man Utd. Am I bitter? Damned right I am!

Shaun Sparke, Yorkshire     Posted 16/06/2013 at 09:09:44

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments

Jim Harrison
086 Posted 16/06/2013 at 14:51:56
Why do you care? Why should he've told anyone? He has left and taken another job, we have a new manager. Let's move on, accept that what has happened is done and look to the future.
Ross Edwards
087 Posted 16/06/2013 at 14:53:08
Do you trust anything Mourinho says Shaun. It's to earn extra brownie points with the Chelsea fans who already in his words "love him". I think the Mourinho novelty has worn off, it has for me. When he came in, he offered something different, but now after Madrid and his antics, I think many people have gone off him.

There's most of me saying that he will fail and that he won't last a season if he doesn't deliver. Mourinho has always wanted to succeed Ferguson, he's only saying he didn't so he can gain more attention. He loves the limelight and he'd say anything to get it. Not that I'm doubting his success, it's his charecter.

It seems too coincidental that Moyes announced a stall in his contract in January, I think that Fergie told him then that he would be lined up in the summer.

Shaun, you have every right to be bitter, he messed us about for 5 months when he knew all along he was leaving. Anyway, we can look forward to a more humble, attacking style of management under Bobby M next season.

Paul English
094 Posted 16/06/2013 at 15:03:42
Shaun, you're spot on at the way he treated our club. I hope he does to Man United what Souness done to the RS and just watch him crumble under the national media. No easy ride now, Moyes.

In Roberto we trust..

Barry Rathbone
100 Posted 16/06/2013 at 15:05:58
Moyes played an absolute blinder he kept every door open playing the vast majority of fans beautifully.

Fergie giving him the nod didn't make it a done deal - last time he resigned he changed his mind.

The trick was ensuring no complications with contracts and compo payments while fooling enough to preserve his myth (should the worst happen and he had to stay).

I don't blame him in the least not his fault people are mugs.

Kevin Tully
104 Posted 16/06/2013 at 15:39:07
I found it incredible that people were wishing him to succeed when he left. I put it down to the Sky generation not having a clue that the Mancs are direct competitors.

I hope he wins feck all, and is sacked after 12 months, the same with ANY manager who is at that club, and every other club in the PL.

Alan Ross
113 Posted 16/06/2013 at 15:38:42
Didn't need Mourhino to tell me what the truth was. It was so fucking obvious this had been planned since mid-season. What surprises me is the number of people who just refuse to believe it when it was announced Moyes would be leaving for Manure.

The bad patch we went through in January wasn't because he wouldn't sign a new contract but that he didn't have his mind on the job in hand. As a diversion, to suggest he wouldn't mind coaching in the Bundesliga, simply adds another piece to the jigsaw.

I give him no more than 18 months. Struggling to keep his head above the slurry what gems will he have in store for manure fans by way of an excuse.

Paul Gladwell
121 Posted 16/06/2013 at 15:57:19
Kevin spot on, I had a debate yesterday in the pub about that guard of honour bollocks, would we have done that for Kendall if he went to Man Utd instead of Bilbao?

Cups or not, I would have told him to fuck off, it's about time our support got back to hating them bastards — they are our rivals still, so get shut of the small-time behaviour.

Danny Broderick
140 Posted 16/06/2013 at 16:24:39
Who cares?
He fulfilled his contract, then left to join another club. If he was negotiating about his future last season while he was with us, he was perfectly entitled to do so as his contract was running out.
If he had walked out in the middle of his contract, then he would deserve both barrels. But he has done nothing wrong in this instance. You should be wondering how we ended up allowing him to run down his contract, that is how we ended up getting nothing for him, and paying to replace him.
Paul Gladwell
145 Posted 16/06/2013 at 16:33:43
Danny, just like Lescott was entitled to want to take £100k per week at a title chasing club, Moyes never agreed though.
Ray Roche
151 Posted 16/06/2013 at 16:46:08
Paul Gladwell , the only thing that stops me from really going "back to hating them bastards " is the fact that they have stopped the RS from crowing that they've been champions more than anyone else and every RS fan reckons that Utd are their REAL rivals because we are that small club from over the park...
Dan Brierley
162 Posted 16/06/2013 at 17:01:05
I think Jim Harrison sums it up perfectly. He is gone, its over, time to move on.

But I am amazed with the comments regarding United though, we are rivals? We finished 26 points behind them, I hardly think they are going to be worried about us next year.

I respect our history and tradition, but some of you guys are lost in the past. As Ray pointed out above, I laugh at RS fans that suggest that United are their rivals.

Danny James
166 Posted 16/06/2013 at 17:32:49
What good would it have done Moyes announcing mid way through the season that he would be leaving at the end of the season. Everyone would have been slating him for doing that. They would be arguing how could a manager remain in charge of a team that knew he would be leaving soon

Bear in mind we were in the hunt for a champions league place until a few weeks from the end of the season. How unsettling an effect would it of had on the players? Every time we lost a game fans would be arguing that he should go as he hearts not in it etc

Patrick Murphy
167 Posted 16/06/2013 at 17:33:28
Dan if they are in the same division then they are our rivals just like the other 18 clubs. Not our derby rivals that is the Dark Side's honourary position. If United aren't our rivals then what are they?

As for Jose's utterances he may well have known, he may have been sounded out before our ex-manager who knows. It's all water under the bridge now and a new chapter awaits.

Dan Brierley
174 Posted 16/06/2013 at 17:44:11
Patrick, in my eyes, Uniteds rivals are City and Chelsea.

Our current rivals are Spurs and Liverpool. I personally do not recognise teams like Stoke, Norwich or Southampton as our rivals. But yes, the word itself can be used in many ways if you wish to do so. But I think you have not quite got the context of what people were discussing.

Paul Johnson
180 Posted 16/06/2013 at 17:58:37
Danny the point is he should have gone when he knew he was on his way. If a player runs his contract down he is a judas, well guess what Moyes did the same thing but he didn't give us the option of selling him at Xmas.
Also his mind will not have been 100% on the job at hand. I never was a lover of Moyes but I never disliked the man. He did fuck us big time though....
Tom Hughes
182 Posted 16/06/2013 at 17:40:36
If you weren't a blue would you really stay at Everton? Think about it. ...... get no backing for the umpteenth year and have to sell your best players every time you're on the verge of building something good? So what if he edged his bets..... if you were a manager of a club that showed little or no ambition despite your minor miracle-working, would you really jeopardise a move to a bigger club who might help you realise your potential? What if he gave the club an ultimatum that if they didn't back him this time he was offski..... got tipped the wink by Fergie and thought why not. It might have all been quite spontaneous, who knows, what does it really matter?
Ray Roche
185 Posted 16/06/2013 at 18:14:25
Paul Johnson @180

Paul, on the other hand, if a player was running his contract down but ran himself into the ground every week and played a blinder and helped us into the Champions League would he still be a Judas? Or would we all wish him well at his new club, grateful for his efforts in making our season a success?

Jay Harris
187 Posted 16/06/2013 at 18:10:23
The person that fucked us was one William Kenwright.

Full of promises and failures to deliver.

Anyone who cant see Moyes had had enough of him in January and cant see that Kenwright was well aware of the situation must be blind in the extreme.

Certain people were already mentioning Martinez had been lined up months ago.

You can look at it two ways if Moyes had left during his contract terms and the season fell apart I personally would have thought a lot less of him than seeing out the season and his contract.

IMO he was overdue to go anyway because his frustration with Kenwright and Elstone was affecting the club.

I thank him for what he did for us and I am glad we moved on. I have my reservations about Martinez but for now I think we need to look forward not backwards.

Al Reddish
190 Posted 16/06/2013 at 18:20:29
Moyes ran his contract down. No problems for me that. The board should have made sure he signed or got a replacement in if they thought he might go. Not many would turn down the United job so you can't blame him for trying his luck over there after years of Billy Bullshits transfer window fiasco's. They called him Dithering Dave but once again players are being snapped up by other clubs while we are not making any moves with our new manager, and probably won't (freebies excepted) unless we offload someone.
Back to the point though, Mourinho wasn't offered the job so it is safe for him to say he didn't fancy it, making him a bigger star in Chelsea fans and his adoring media mates eyes. It's gonna be a Sky love in with Chelsea for the next few years!!!!!
Wayne Smyth
195 Posted 16/06/2013 at 18:26:06
Dan, I think we'll see that Man U are our rivals this season(for the first time in a while). I think Moyes will struggle because the Utd side he has inherited is average and he has decided to chuck away decades of trophy winning coaching know-how.

I suspect that our realistic rivals this season are RS, Man U and Spurs, with an outside chance of Arsenal too if they're inconsistent.

Obviously this pre-season is still young and there are many players yet to be bought/sold, but City and Chelsea currently have the stand-out talented squads and best managers. We probably come in the second bracket of teams chasing a european spot, and I would now include Man U in those teams, rather than in the elite.

Kunal Desai
197 Posted 16/06/2013 at 18:38:31
Move, on, Moyes no longer has an ties or association with Everton he is history, why are we still even discussing him. Talk about our new manager Martinez instead.
Brian Waring
198 Posted 16/06/2013 at 18:40:05
Moyes said when the Man U job offer came in, that he was already working towards the start of the new season, and was always going to sign a new contract with us, hmmm, integrity............
Al Reddish
200 Posted 16/06/2013 at 18:49:10
At least we haven't done a Newcastle and appointed Jo(k)e Kinnear as director of football! They would have been better off with his brother Roy.
Col Noon
229 Posted 16/06/2013 at 20:15:19
I'm not in the slightest arsed about David Moyes. He earned a lot of money in 11 years at our and won fuck all. He's gone. Move on.
Col Noon
252 Posted 16/06/2013 at 20:53:03
Roberto Martinez has won more than David Moyes as a manager, he is more successful. Why are we not talking about him? 11 years and sweet FA(cup). If you're arsed about David Moyes then support Man Utd. Boring now.
Paul Ferry
257 Posted 16/06/2013 at 20:59:39
I share the sentiments of the OP, but I and others were saying all of this weeks back. Do we really need to persist with the past like this?

Don't get me wrong, Moyes does not get off the hook for his duplicity this year, but, guess what, I'm more interested in Roberto Martinez this minute.

And, good news, I'm watching Bobby on Bien TV (US) right now and at half-time in the Italy/Mexico match he has commented:

It might even be wise for Mexico to make a sub right now, at half-time.

Mexico, I feel, are playing too far back and not pushing up to pressure Italy. They are giving Italy far too much respect.

Mexico need to work much harder on their passing game and getting ball to feet as quickly as possible.

Italy are doing the most important thing right now, playing with flair and getting the ball to their men fast

I think I'd rather focus on these things than the new manure gaffer.

All sounds good to me

James Marshall
258 Posted 16/06/2013 at 21:02:23
If you're in a job for 11 years, surely you're entitled to look elsewhere as & when you please? The guy worked for us for that long, which is a rarity these days - maybe people will be happier changing managers every 3 or 4 years like the rest of the Premiership?

Personally I don't think he did anything wrong, and left as his contract ran out - seems like pretty standard employment process to me. Just because its a football club doesn't have any bearing on it.

Oh and he did leave for Man Utd, who happen to be one of the biggest football clubs in the World. I don't think many people with ambitions not being realised in their current role would have done any different.

No ill will from me, for what its worth.

Tom Hughes
261 Posted 16/06/2013 at 21:02:28
Col..... if he was more successful, do you not think Man Utd or Man City might have been interested in him? We can only hope they were all wrong.

As far as Moyes is concerned, you're right: he's now gone... but I would say he was far more successful at his job than our board are at theirs.

Shaun Sparke
275 Posted 16/06/2013 at 21:52:12
James (261), as an Evertonian, there are no bigger or better clubs than us. The privilege of sitting in the Everton hot seat is something that 40,000 match day Evertonians would do for nothing for as many years as they could. Being offered £5 million a year would be a nice bonus; I digress.

Moyes wasn't born an Evertonian like you and I, so you are right, he did have every right to move on when he felt the time was right. But what really irritates me is when people try to defend him and say that he didn't do anything wrong. He willingly misled every single Evertonian. He was the manager of our club and was making decisions that affected our club when he knew all along that he would soon be managing Manchester United. an honourable man would have walked, or at least said that he would not be staying at the end of the season. He did neither, in fact he portrayed faux indignation with anybody who dared question as to why his contract remained unsigned.

For those who say that we should just move on and forget Moyes, you do have a point... but I would love to see your reaction if he makes a cash offer for Baines which he knows Kenwright can't turn down. Yes, it is time to move on... but the apathy of our board – and even worse, some fans who seem content to drop their trousers and bend over every time Man Utd or some other "big" club come knocking – just sickens me.

Danny Broderick
281 Posted 16/06/2013 at 22:47:50
Shaun,

Maybe you just can't see that he did his job until the end of the season with 100% professionalism, regardless of the fact that he was lined up to become Man Utd boss this summer. No-one would ever change jobs if they thought like you! It's time for everyone to move on.

By the way, he is now free to bid for Baines like everyone else. It's only if the board decide to cash in that any such bid would become relevant.

Tom Hughes
282 Posted 16/06/2013 at 22:23:39
Shaun,
To me, there is no bigger club than Everton.... but Moyes wasn't born an Evertonian like most of us. He was an employee and gave us 11 years and decided it was time to move on. For several years, many have been predicting he would move sooner or later. It was inevitable that if he couldn't realise his ambitions with us he would have to go. I'm surprised he didn't go sooner tbh..... but I suppose that was always dependent on the right opportunity and if he could make it work with us in the meantime.

Whether or not Baines is enticed or allowed to go will have as much to do with our board and how we are no longer masters of our own financial destiny... as illustrated many times over the past decade or more.

Robin Cannon
284 Posted 16/06/2013 at 23:10:10
"The truth at last" - a.k.a. "More unsubstantiated rumor and speculative conclusions...at last!"
Kevin Tully
286 Posted 16/06/2013 at 23:25:43
I feel a Shakespearean response would be in order - but as I am only a Cammel Laird 'arl welder, I feel I could never do enough justice to the twats who say we are not direct competitors with those beautiful Mancunions.

All I will say though, in broadest Scouse accent you could imagine is ; go ' an bury yer fuckin' 'ed - yer knob 'ed!!

and that is after a full day on it fer a scouse faarders day!!

Paul Ferry
288 Posted 16/06/2013 at 23:48:36
Kevin, didn't even know that Camamel Laird's was still up-and-running.

Not building ships though, right?

Up the workers!

Kevin Tully
289 Posted 16/06/2013 at 23:51:12
Hey PF - How you doin' with the old boiled egg sitch?

Oh aye - the old Lairds is going strong now, but more of a ship repair yard, and into the fab of wind turbines.

Not there any more myself, but wish I was - great craic. Office life is clean, but full of gobshites who have never witnessed West Ham on the ordinary in 1981.

Paul Ferry
310 Posted 17/06/2013 at 04:21:24
14 minutes Kev, memorized, will never go away mate

Never cross the river when home, so lovely to know
CL is doing well

Jeez, West Ham, Queens Road, the chicken run, always got hammered on the train to Euston, great great times, adrenalin, hyped up .....

Was it '81 when we finally got to go back to Chelsea after Kensington High St '78 when they got relegated?

That was an epic encounter '81, if it was '81, everyone showed up, 8am ordinary stuffed with designer gear

Good days...

Up the workers!

Matt Traynor
314 Posted 17/06/2013 at 08:11:30
Agree with Jay and Tom and others who say the real problem lies with the lack of backing. However, we could've finished runners up and won 2 pots, and he'd still have gone. It's the job he's craved, and I'll stop short of wishing him success, but he's not going to want for cash if it does go Pete Tong.

The irony of course, is if he had turned them down, would we have been happy with a manager so lacking in ambition / self belief?

Dennis Stevens
321 Posted 17/06/2013 at 09:33:59
I'm more concerned at the ineptitude of our current Board than the perceived integrity of the next MUFC manager. Why did they not seem to see this coming & to have prepared for such an eventuality & if this isn't the case why give that impression? Why the desperation to hang on to a soon to be ex-manager to the last possible moment - are they hoping for a last minute change of heart?

The Board should have been prepared for this eventuality, short-list prepared, & a quick replacement found - not the long drawn-out saga we've suffered. Moyes should have been gone as soon as he accepted MUFCs offer & a caretaker should have handled the last 2 matches. The ludicrous way Moyes was feted at our last home match was as though he was retiring at the end of a long & successful career, rather than moving to a 'better' rival.

If there's any fingers to be pointed regarding this episode in the clubs history then they should be pointing at the Board rather than Moyes.

Tom Hughes
325 Posted 17/06/2013 at 10:30:03
I agree, Dennis... the real outrage should be about why our club can no longer keep its manager or its best players. Apart from during the European ban, when did we last lose a manager of his own accord? When did we have to sell in order to buy or just to pay back debt?

After years of inept impotence by those supposedly running our club, papered over by Moyes's achievements on a shoestring, we appear to be down among the dead beats and frankly that's nowhere near good enough. Yet somehow it's Moyes who some want to vilify? So what if he looked after himself (if that was the case, maybe he just no longer saw any future at GP)...

The question should really be why would anyone ever really want to leave us and how have we fallen so far?

James Marshall
340 Posted 17/06/2013 at 14:09:44
Tom#325

That's an easy one - we don't have a pot to piss in and our board (rightly) won't pour money into a club with nothing to offer an investor. Simple.

You can hardly blame them for not wanting to piss their money away on a football club that missed the [financial] boat years ago.

We're pretty fucked in many ways, and the continued papering-over you mention, was all that kept us up there.

Personally I fear our status as 'best of the rest' will soon be a distant memory, as mid-table obscurity beckons.

Tom Owen
342 Posted 17/06/2013 at 14:38:36
James 340
Actually we can blame the board as it them that has got us to this point and run by a figure head or puppet, you choose ,one Mr W.Kenwright
James Marshall
343 Posted 17/06/2013 at 14:47:19
It goes back further in my opinion, to the terrible mismanagement of a Mr P Johnson, who you may or may not remember.

BK has done a lot of good as well.......I just can't remember what those things are!

At the end of the day, Everton has been badly mis-managed for years & years, and only now are we really seeing the (rotten) fruits of that period. When football changed so massively at the point when the Premier League began, we were already a sinking ship and have slowly but surely carried on sinking ever since.

We are simply not an attractive investment for anyone, so I doubt we'll ever see billions coming to Everton.

Andrew Clare
347 Posted 17/06/2013 at 14:59:10
Everton were one of the giants of English football but, as James #343 has said, the club has been badly let down by years of mismanagement.

Moyes did really well if you are talking about a mid-table team but if you are talking about Everton in any other era then he just didn't cut the mustard. Always one of the big 'five' now we have been overtaken by Man City and Chelsea.

Regardless of money, I still believe a team can succeed at the highest level with the right manager. Look at Notts Forest when they won the European Cup. Weren't they competing against the wealth of Europe?

Moyes was ok for three years but that was all.

Phil Martin
351 Posted 17/06/2013 at 15:11:04
It's very logical really....

Buyers have invested and taken over clubs in worse financial situations than ours.
They've even bought clubs (who've poor finances) with smaller and more outdated grounds than GP.

This type of investor expects a low asking price to allow for investment into the cub instead. These investors look to modernise stadia, invest in players, and seek to exploit as many commercial opportunities as possible to help grow the club (and it's value).

However no investor would buy a club with poor finances, poor stadia AND with 7 years to go on a 10 year agreement restricting all merchandising profits from being any more than £3M a year. Unless of course the asking price was somewhere close to zero.

Eugene Ruane
353 Posted 17/06/2013 at 14:32:34
Paul (310) - I was at High St Ken in 78 (and not one of the 450,000 who now claim to have been there - REALLY there).

Now although I can't remember where I put my fags 7 minutes ago, certain memories of that day are very clear.

At the time, I was working in a Butchers in Fontwell (W.Sussex).

There was loads of work there back then and you could leave a job and walk straight into another same day (I worked in a Little Chef, a Heron Garage, wholesalers Nurdin & Peacock, a flower nursery called Framptons...).

Anyway, my guv'nor gave me the day off and I hitched to London.

My first lift was from a feller who had maybe the most pronounced stammer I've ever heard.

It wasn't one of those (cartoon) "f...fff.ff..f" stammers, more like...

"Oh Everton are playin' Chelsea, I used to support ChEEAWEEE..ooo.. AWWEWEWEEWE.. ooo.. EAAAWSEA"

I was only 18 and my eyes must have been on fucking stalks when he did it first.

I remember getting great lifts and being at the ground dead early and shitting myself just walking about and nervous that I might fall prey to 'Have you got the time?' and that that my accent might give me away.

I eventually met up with a couple of lads I knew (not very well) and went in.

We were made up with the win, but deffo nervous afterwards, imagining all sorts of Kung-fu stars getting whizzed at us (well the NOTW reckoned...).

Coming out I got in behind two rather large brothers who, for a time, had the Hillside in Huyton.

One of them (no names no pack-drill) was like Bluto and Giant Haystack combined and I figured 'safe enough'.

Once out it was head down, no eye contact, head for the tube.

Now something DID go on down in the tube, but it was that day I learned that if you stand still and look like a 'civilian', there is actually very little chance of you coming to any harm (worked for me on many occasions - you kind of pull a facial expression that says 'nothing to do with me')

There WERE a few groups running about and I heard glass being smashed and boot-steps running hither and thither and I'm sure one or two did come to grief.

However when the train eventually, came in I got on (as did many Chelsea supporters).

I was going to stay with relatives in Crawley on the Saturday night, so ended up at Victoria (I think) and..that was it.

So I was there but didn't see anything really - maybe I was there before it REALLY kicked off, I've no idea, but when the legend began to grow, I would proudly tell one and all "Yeah, I was there"

(if they pressed me for details I'd take a sharp intake, wink and say "You don't want to know")

As for 1981 - oh by then Everton were amongst the worst imo.

(and no silly calling cards either!).

Paul Ferry
378 Posted 17/06/2013 at 17:35:03
Ha, that’s right Eugene (353), there must have been 43,234 Everton fans at Chelsea that day; it was the first game of the season, after all!

19 August 1978. We beat them 6-0 four months before, Big Bob Latch got his thirty.

Got the ordinary down; vodka and orange. There was always a nice little group of us from Crosby/Waterloo; used to go away with Keith Mullen who ended up bassist I think in The Farm (he was a bit of a nutter).

Remember having to walk up that little hill to get to our end and having to walk through Chelsea to get there: I asked a cheery booby if we might have a little escorted assistance to get through the animals: ‘if you’re hard enough to come here scouse you can go on your fucking own’.

Cripes.

George Wood – Terry Darracott – Mike Pejic – Mike Lyons – Mark Higgins – Geoff Nulty – Martin Dobson – Andy King – Micky Walsh – Bob Latchford – Dave Thomas.

Andy King, 1-0.

Remember feeling at the end that I sort of wish I could be transported in one of those Star Trek things back to Liverpool, NOW.

We ended up in a carriage full of Chelsea. One got a knife out; ‘some scouse wanker is gonna get this’, me joining in the general merriment.

Earls Court first, wasn’t it. Little ructions here and there.

And then Kensington HS. Bam. Biffo. Wacko Batman. Afterwards I remember seeing someone I knew well from Away days, spitting image of Ronnie Corbet, used to go away with a guy called Indian Joe, and he had been stabbed in his eye, just sitting there on the platform.
And then a second train of Chelsea came in and we just dived on them and they got a good spanking.

Cops and dogs all over the place, and they made us walk from Kensington to Euston, with no escort I think I’m right in saying. There must have been several hundred of us walking through glitzy streets lined with gold, snarling at anyone who looked rich.

An uneventful walk if memory serves until, perfect timing, we get to Euston just as a Spuds special pulled in from Manchester, I think. Little bit of bam, wham, whacko, but the bobbies got it under control.

The train back to Liverpool was like a hospital train. I got away without a scratch. There were some Sunderland boys on the train, just wanting to get anywhere north, they had been at Millwall that day.

Oh, and it was ’84 next time we played them in the smoke, though there was the small matter of them coming to us November ’78 (3-2), the Enclosure was packed with lads …….

Ah, and we went to Erics that night ……

Neil Quinn
508 Posted 18/06/2013 at 07:24:37
I just wonder IF by some miracle, we had managed to sneak that 4th spot, would Moyes maybe have stayed?
Al Philby
510 Posted 18/06/2013 at 07:32:01
Neill Quinn: let sleeping dogs lie, do not open a can of worms, let the dead bury the dead.
Steve Lyth
568 Posted 18/06/2013 at 13:55:56
Moyes knew full well what he was doing, not wanting Manchester United to be accused of tapping him up and getting them embroiled in paying compensation was all about not signing a contract with us. The man is an egotist without a winning CV, hoping that position is going to change soon by managing the best team in the Prem. Walking round with the team at the end of the season for a standing ovation was a no-brainer for him, all hail Moyes !
Colin Burns
211 Posted 21/06/2013 at 10:08:03
Mourinho is a psychologist. Announcing after the event that he knew AF was going to retire is easy and probably dishonest. The announcement has a number of effects:

He curries favour with CFC – always wanted to return there my eyeball!!!

He has a dig at Man Utd as they didn't appoint him – he really always wanted to succeed AF.

He exposes DM and to an extent questions his reputation - sour grapes!

He completely hoodwinks everybody by stating the biggest load of tosh ever.

Mourinho (correct spelling I believe) is a self-centred, arrogant man – just like AF who caused the whole affair by announcing his retirement before the end of the season, drawing all the attention to himself and putting DM under unnecessary pressure – another psychologist playing mindgames.

Thankfully it appears we now have an honest manager who will speak his mind, stick to his principles and not play silly games with people.